Author Topic: Thinking out loud.....  (Read 23127 times)

Offline Boostinjdm

Re: Thinking out loud.....
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2010, 12:20:10 AM »
Went to the dunes today to flog my brothers new RZR-S. 

I want to know more about this.  Start a thread.  Everytime I drive by the dealer I slow down.  Then the girlfriend gives me a dirty look and I move on.  I have stopped a few times just to sit in them though.  She wasn't happy...
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2010, 12:44:40 AM »
Wait.  Here is a build thread for the car

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=99875

WELL,I have found the way to my next car. I love the transaxle idea!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2010, 05:06:12 AM »
WELL,I have found the way to my next car. I love the transaxle idea!

Well when your ready to pull the trigger on that one, I have a whole barn full of them three and four speed tran's.  Come on over and pick out a couple. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2010, 09:29:12 AM »
Now that's an offer I can't turn down.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2010, 07:32:56 PM »
BTW, LS1 cars are starting to go for crazy low numbers.....

That ones a beauty!

I want to know more about this.  Start a thread.  Everytime I drive by the dealer I slow down.  Then the girlfriend gives me a dirty look and I move on.  I have stopped a few times just to sit in them though.  She wasn't happy...

Will do!

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2010, 08:28:27 PM »
This one is out of Kansas (KC -south)  - but it is the ultimate "roller" it runs.....

Ask - 15k

Trying to sell my long travel buggy with a 2.5 turbo intercooled Outback motor.Built in 2008 and took 6 months to build. First trip to the sand dunes was in late 2008. It was built by a friend and I. He's not a big name builder but he has been building buggies, drag cars, rock crawlers for the last 15 years so he knows what is right and what is wrong. There were no shortcuts taken when building this buggy. Built with the best parts. The buggy is unpainted, ready for whatever color you want to paint it. The front of the buggy was built off of a tatum car. The main frame was built with .095 DOM with 1 inch bracing. Front A arms were built with 1 1/4 .120 chromoly. It has had three trips to the sand dunes with no problems. Fun and fast to drive, will wheeley and you will enjoy.

- 20 inches of travel up front with a 10 inch, 2.0 fox remote Reservoir

- 18 inches in the rear with 14 inch, 2.0 fox remote reservoir

- all 4 wheels have bead locks by Douglas with 14.50 dunesports in the rear and 6.75 razorbacks in the front

- 2.5 Turbo intercooled Outback motor with the billet rail big injectors ran by the ems stinger rated at 250 - 320 hp cooled with the sand fabrication radiator with aluminum shroud with 2, 12 inch fans

- all braided lines

- CNC rear brake with pedals and turning brake (all CNC)

- grey Corebeau suspension seats with Crow 5 point harness

- 3 eagle oval lights up front and two hellas

- aluminum console with carbon fiber gauges (temp oil and boost)

- Drive train is a 091 six rib built by Don's Bus box with all the best parts inside (weedle) geared for the 2.5 Weedle main shaft and gears- 1st and 2nd 3.44 x 2.25, 3rd gear 1.78 electronic beam welded .4th gear 1.26 electonic beam welded and much more

- 930 CV's

- ProAm billet shifter

- 12 gallon RCI aluminum gas tank

I know i am forgetting things, much more there. Please email any questions.

See the buggy here:

I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2010, 07:18:59 PM »
the silence on the last one was deafening. ......

how about this one?  Ask is 25k  Breaks and PS do not show in pics- recent additions.

Sandrail 3.5 Honda V-tec w/turbocharger. Mendeola 2-D.  Front brakes and power steering. The car does have an intercom, but does not have a car to car.  The chassis was built by Shannon Werks: Troy Shannon.  It is a mid-travel car. We shot for 16 inches of travel when we built it............ never really measured that I recall............  The tranny was built by Mark at Mark's Sandtrans in Oregon.  If you want to give him a call he is very cordial, knowledgeable, and informative.  He will remember the car.   It's seen fairly limited usage since it was built......... It might have 6 or 8 trips on it since it was built.  It is a very clean car.  I have 60K in it hard money...............  25K takes it.  It is a Howe pump........ Charlynn............. and the rack was replaced with a new Tatum......... 

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 07:22:21 PM by Yummi »

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2010, 08:14:09 PM »
Honestly why are you screwing with these little blown motors in a "full size" buggy.   Just go LS motor (400 hp naturally aspirated minimum), it'll run it's heart out for you all day long without a hiccup.  I can guarantee you won't regret it.  Flame suit on  ;D   I know I'm gonna catch shit from someone here for that statement but I whole heartedly feel it to be true.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2010, 08:29:51 PM »
Honestly why are you screwing with these little blown motors in a "full size" buggy.   Just go LS motor (400 hp naturally aspirated minimum), it'll run it's heart out for you all day long without a hiccup.  I can guarantee you won't regret it.  Flame suit on  ;D   I know I'm gonna catch shit from someone here for that statement but I whole heartedly feel it to be true.

Fair question - problem is that most lower end LS cars are four seaters w/ 2d.  Not my thing on the four seats.  Nice Ls car that is a two seater gets to be pricey. In large part that is because you move away from a 2d.    So then you start getting into a 4S and well, it just goes from there.   Bigger shocks, bigger this bigger that - more weight.......  Few and far between is a two seat LS car around that is under 50k.   I max at 30k.   

I have found a 2d N/A 6cyl car that the guy is very unresponsive on.   

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2010, 08:36:33 PM »
Okay.  You've been searching the market and I haven't......  I just didn't want you to get less bang for your buck than you deserve  ;D   The nickname for turbochargers/superchargers when I was younger (-30 years ago) was TROUBLECHARGERS.  I know I'll get shit form some more people for that  ;D  but if you can get away without stressing the motor with  "blowing" it you'll save money in the long run.   Plus LS based motors are cheap it's just all the other crap you need to support the powerplant that makes that much horsepower.   In the long run buy one car and never have to upgrade.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2010, 09:11:20 PM »
Who is this someone you refer to?  ;D ??? ;D ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2010, 09:33:14 PM »
here is the other 2d 6cyl car..... - some pictures show triple bypass, some do not....

305 HP CADILLAC NEW STAR ENGINE 3.6 L V6. SET UP BY MECH TECK. NEW MENDEOLA 2D TRANS. NEW B.A.S. SHIFTER. TRIPLE BYPASS IN BACK, CHROMOLLY CHASSIE, CAR TO CAR RADIO. CALL MIKE FOR ANY MORE INFO. HOME 951-682-8344 OR CELL 909-560-2646. CAR LOCATED IN RIVERSIDE CA. THE TRIPLE BYPASSES WERE ADDED LAST YEAR, SO SOME PHOTOS WILL NOT SHOW THEM. $25,000[/quote

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2010, 09:40:25 PM »
The red Honda one looks nice Yummi!  The dash looks very nice.  And clean overall good lines, but it looks to me like it could use some sag dialed in.  No biggie.

The Kansas car.......  What do you expect it's from Kansas.  8)  J/K  But are you looking for a project?

Lance, you think the same way I did when I first got into sand.  It would seem a Ls is the cheap simple solution, but in the sand it isn't the motor that causes the most trouble it is the trans axle.  Also weight is exponentially important.  In order to be theoretically bullet proof behind an Ls you need a 10K+ tranny but most people get by with a 7K tranny that if you jump and land in the gas or get rough with the clutch or use reverse could spit chunks at any time with a 3K+ repair bill.  Not fun dunning with this always in the back of your mind.

Part of it is because of the brutal torque of the V-8.  A blown or turbo motor half the size with much less flyweight and making power at higher rpm is much less likely to damage the tranny while having the same overall performance and using less fuel.

Just my $.02.

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2010, 09:44:42 PM »
The red Honda one looks nice Yummi!  The dash looks very nice.  And clean overall good lines, but it looks to me like it could use some sag dialed in.  No biggie.

The Kansas car.......  What do you expect it's from Kansas.  8)  J/K  But are you looking for a project?

Lance, you think the same way I did when I first got into sand.  It would seem a Ls is the cheap simple solution, but in the sand it isn't the motor that causes the most trouble it is the trans axle.  Also weight is exponentially important.  In order to be theoretically bullet proof behind an Ls you need a 10K+ tranny but most people get by with a 7K tranny that if you jump and land in the gas or get rough with the clutch or use reverse could spit chunks at any time with a 3K+ repair bill.  Not fun dunning with this always in the back of your mind.

Part of it is because of the brutal torque of the V-8.  A blown or turbo motor half the size with much less flyweight and making power at higher rpm is much less likely to damage the tranny while having the same overall performance and using less fuel.

Just my $.02.

Yup, I understand the power comes on gentler in the boosted engine (i.e. clutch drops).  The cost of the transaxle is why I don't have one.  You guys know me by now and realize that my right foot rules my choices powerplant wise.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2010, 09:51:55 PM »
The transaxle cost is the kicker - might just force me back to a smaller turbo car.  091 can be had all day long at 4k and below.  2d - 7k, just the weight of the LS car that really gets to be an issue.  I would not mind a 2e /D with an ecotech, but there is some discussion that with the wedlle ring and pinion gear set a 091 is as good, if not a better choice than a 4e and maybe a 2d. 

And it is not just the buy in.  The LS car is going to chew up cvs, etc due to the torque.  To move away from slip they run bigger tires more bite - same 930's - it just goes on and on why a ls car and me is not a good fit - in part the maintenance costs for all the other hoo ha.  Buy in is cheap - the maint will kill a season quickly if it is always broken.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal