Author Topic: Thinking out loud.....  (Read 23128 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Thinking out loud.....
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2010, 07:53:16 PM »
Uh,something in the last pic is bothering me. Got a better one of that? I can't enlarge it . Would like to.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2010, 07:57:40 PM »
It has power steering as well.   Ask is 23k.  I know the bottom line.  I will pm
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2010, 08:39:02 PM »
Thanks Mastr for the PM - Too cool that folks I have never met might stop me from making a mistake / bad choice. 

Can I copy and paste for the other folks to learn? 

The car is about 500 miles away - let me know what pictures to get.  I can send him an email and explain what I am looking to resolve. 

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2010, 08:47:31 PM »
sure post it up
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
Possible point of concern on the blue Baja:  Please discuss. 

Mastr
Have you checked out the front camber curve? The top a arm mounts are very close together. It concerns me a bit. I really like it's look . Cool as hell IMO.

Quote from: Yummi on Today at 08:04:58 PM

No, have not seen the car in person.  It is about 500 miles away.  Beyond that how would i check that?

Built by a guy who does all sorts of off road stuff.  He built it for his son.  Son lost interest.

Mastr
Need to remove a shock and cycle suspension full droop to full bump. Wheel needs to lean in more progressively as the suspension goes from full bump to full droop. If it doesn;t the tires will wear very fast on street and handle corners very funky. The upper and lower a arms inner pivots are ,I think ,parallel and that indicates ,at least on every car I ever saw,that there will be no camber gain. Might be OK for sand but not good at all on pavement. I'd take a long day trip and drive it ,on pavement,before any money changed hands.   

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2010, 08:50:25 AM »
Why won't the picture enlarge?

I agree the inner mounts are the same width, however it looks to me like there is some KPI which means a shorter upper arm and some camber change.  Hard to tell from the photo but the spindle may also have a little more seperation on the A-arms than the frame which will also cause positive camber change.

Back on the first car, I thought that his wanting to be present when the car was run at outfront to be totally up and up and fair.  I have hung around a lot of motorheads.  If he does his own motor work he has a very good reason not to let it be run without him present.  When someone is trying to sell their car the last thing they want to do is have to drop in more dollars to repair something.

The guy I have build my race motors and do my dyno work, I would not let him dyno a motor built by someone else that I bought without being present.  The old if it wasn't built here it wasn't built right complex.  If he heard something ticking he would turn the rpm up, and start another pull.  After it blew he would say "guess it wasn't as good as they claimed, can you get your money back?"  I have seen it happen.  :-\ 

I don't know any of the parties involved, so I am not suggesting anything about anyone involved, but that is why I probably wouldn't send anything of mine off to be put on a dyno without having a deposit or being present.

It is really to bad that the LS1 car had some issues.  It had some sweet components.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2010, 09:03:39 AM »
The first car?  That was so yesterday. 

The request was not for a dyno pull.  It was to listen to the transmission.  Fine if he wanted to be there.  But he would not let the car run through the gears on the dyno.  Keep in mind the guy to put it on the dyno is the same guy who tuned it and one of the the best guys in the business for Subaru motors.  (Crawford builds the rally motors)  All of that was a work around. 

The kicker was pay first, then run it through the gears, and if I give back as he delivered then he gives me back my money?  Not so much.  Too many cars out there to agree to those terms.   

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2010, 09:56:17 AM »
Too many cars out there to agree to those terms.

True. You ever consider a V-8 Sandrocket? (Heck I have seen one with a Buick turbo V-6 out of a Grabnd National that flew) Most Sandrockets use common Chevy engines and Turbo 350 automatics. CHEAP if a rebuild is needed.

If you looking I would at least try to find one of those who would take you for a ride in it in the desert/dunes.

Might like it.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2010, 10:08:41 AM »
True. You ever consider a V-8 Sandrocket? (Heck I have seen one with a Buick turbo V-6 out of a Grabnd National that flew) Most Sandrockets use common Chevy engines and Turbo 350 automatics. CHEAP if a rebuild is needed.

If you looking I would at least try to find one of those who would take you for a ride in it in the desert/dunes.

Might like it.

Not so much into the sand rockets - like the concept - lifesavers car is currently for sale - he is too proud of it.  There is an option that has a similar concept. 

2 seat mid engine, vortec 4.3L, close ratio 4spd, 9" rear end with 5.12 gears an ARB air locker and 35 spline stub shafts. 23" of travel in the front and 19" in the rear. howe power steering. 540c GPS. 2.5 air shocks with king 2.5 triple bypass. dirt and sand tires. i have only put about 100 miles on this car but need to sell to pay bills. in the pics it has 33" tires with steel wheels but now it has 35's on aluminum wheels.

$26000obo

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2010, 11:14:52 AM »
Not so much into the sand rockets - like the concept - lifesavers car is currently for sale - he is too proud of it.  There is an option that has a similar concept. 

That front view pic is a well designed front suspension. Compare that to the front pic I questioned. IMO,write the check.

AFTER a test ride/drive.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2010, 02:07:25 PM »
            Wow Yummi!!!!! this one boarder lines on TO GOOD OF A DEAL.  This thing has been stolen or he needs to pay bail.  $26K Looks a bit over built for that. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2010, 04:57:32 PM »
Damm!  Could you pass the seller info along if your not buying that last one.  ;D 

The craftsmanship looks like a real winner.

I would like to see how the 4 speed is mated to the 9"  I could never figure out how to get it that short.

Eta:  The haters won't like the U-joints.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 05:02:27 PM by Engineer »

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2010, 06:03:15 PM »
The haters wont like a workaround on the transaxle either.  Should be bullett proof. 

Let me see if i can find some more info from the guy.  It is a pretty cool looking car and looks like it would survive a rool over or two.   

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2010, 06:06:56 PM »
Part of our conversation on the car......

thanks! it has a close ratio saginaw 4spd. these trannys came in early camaros, novas, corvettes and so on... they are strong, easy to work on, super cheap to fix and it has a strong reverse. the tranny and diff are hard coupled together so no u-joint inbetween. as far as how the 9" would work in the sand, i dont see why it wouldnt. some after market transaxles use a 9" diff for exaple mendeola. i think one of the main reasons you dont see to many 9" diffs in sandrails is becouse they are a longer setup than the mendeola and they arent as convienent as a transaxle. when you use a 9" you have to modify a tranny to connect to the diff so its not as easy as just buying one done complete unit.

ill be honest with you, if you plan on using this car for sand only its not your best buy. it was setup as desert #1 and sand #2. it will dune great but you will not be beating to many at the drags. but if you take one of those faster ls1 sandrails out in the desert and race 100 miles you will spank it every time.

Sounds pretty simple and straight forward. "Winning" at the sand is not really my thing. Reliability and safety are. Thats why your car caught my eye. Woulkd likly use it 50 / 50 dirt and dunes. Could you race this car in any class? Off the top of my head, other than Sportsman, i cant think of where it would fit in a desert race.

I didnt build it with extensions on racing so it dosnt fall into any class although i wish i did... i was thinking of racing it in the vorra series running either class1 or sportsman. since vorra is a lower budget series compared to score or bitd it might of done ok in class1.

I have been thinking of sportsman. Looks like it might go as a 1350 car in MORE or Whiplash. What is the tube thickness? Still have to pass tech even in sportsman.

the main chassis is 1.5" .120 wall. it weighs 2500lbs +/-. i weighed it on a truck scale so thats a ball park. i know it will pass VORRA tech as far as tube size but im not sure about MORE.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2010, 06:08:51 PM »
            Wow Yummi!!!!! this one boarder lines on TO GOOD OF A DEAL.  This thing has been stolen or he needs to pay bail.  $26K Looks a bit over built for that.

Not stolen.  He has bills to pay.  All receipts would be included. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal