Author Topic: Thinking out loud.....  (Read 23130 times)

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Thinking out loud.....
« on: February 18, 2010, 06:50:03 AM »
Any input on this car? Good / bad - things I may not see? 

This is a great buggie and will go anywhere easily (and quickly too)! New family forces me to get a 5 seater.

2 seat, mid engine, turbo 2.0 subaru built by Outback (now Outfront), adjustable boost controller, extensive chrome package, etc...runs on 110 and is VERY reliable.

Md 4 S trans, 930 CV's (race prepped Gear One), 4 wheel disc brakes, shaved front triple razors, 5 link rear suspension, gear one componants for the steering, brakes, etc, KC lights, 5 lug hubs, braided and hard lines, beadlock wheels, K&N filters with outerwears, ...

It's a 2006, I bought it early last year and probably have about 5 trips on it. I really love it but can't take the new family with me and don't want to haul / maintain 2 cars.

No breakages so far and it doesn't seem like there will be any (...solid ride) but I did go thru the CV's recently just to be safe.

Thanks for all the props guys !

Interior is Black cloth, roof and side panels are lined in Black cloth, Buggie has an interior dome light and upper / lower lights are switched separately.

I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Online fabr

• Administrator
Re: Thinking out loud.....
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 06:52:05 AM »
Ice chest is too small.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 07:04:04 AM »
Yummi

If that is a tec three car the brackets that hold the rear five link on are pron to breakage.  They can be beefed up.   I was following one once that the lower forward link broke on the drivers side and came down.  Tec 3 with a Subie in it.  We were running pinned along the canal at Butter Cup when it let go.  He did save it form flipping but it sure did mess things up.  Other then that I like the Tec 3.  Just need to beef up the five link brackets some.  Nice car.  You thinking about buying?

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 07:07:16 AM »
Yes.  Thinking about it. 

Which brackets fail?  All of the five link or just the rear etc?   

Before I buy I would have John at Outfront inspect, etc - An experianced set of eyes would save me from my next mistake.....

While it is there if it is a done deal, I would have him do a few changes / mods.  Likely he could rework the brackets if he had a concern about them.....
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 07:09:59 AM by Yummi »

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 07:21:28 AM »
that's a nice looking rail! I see they welded tie down tabs under the frame that is always a plus. If you do buy it or get a chance to take a couple of good pics of the 5 link carrier please post or send them my way. i am interested in what the front side looks like, it looks like from the pic that the bottom rods are in single shear at the wheel? fast I thought the tech III carriers were flat plates they butt welded tubes to for their connection points?
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 08:58:34 AM »
that's a nice looking rail! I see they welded tie down tabs under the frame that is always a plus. If you do buy it or get a chance to take a couple of good pics of the 5 link carrier please post or send them my way. i am interested in what the front side looks like, it looks like from the pic that the bottom rods are in single shear at the wheel? fast I thought the tech III carriers were flat plates they butt welded tubes to for their connection points?

They are u shaped brackets that are butt welded to the frame. The car I was running with the brackets were bent out of 3/16 material.  We got him back to the shop and welded .25 plate on either side with the bolt hole drilled.  Didn't look real good but worked.

looking at the pictures of this car they look the same. Just not heavy enough material.  The hole will wear out and elongate and then things will go south from there.    The front lower driver side broke and the Travers arm went under the wheel and lifted the car up like a pogo stick. He was very lucky that it didn't roll. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 09:02:10 AM »

Yes the bottom links are single shear.  Same as mine. Just need a good grade bolt for them.  Never seen a problem with them in single shear.  At that point. 

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 10:25:38 AM »
Nice looking car!

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 09:08:19 PM »
Still thinking.  Went and looked at this tonight.  Little more than i want to spend, but the only thing missing is car to car - has intercom. 

So - specs.  One off frame with all Tatum components.  LS1, 2D,  Power Steering, Mid Engine, Adjustable Seats, HID light bar. 

If i make a run for it, it will go to ADS (Local shop with Dyno) and to Kevin McMullin (Desert Racer fab build guy) to inspect before the deal is done.   The guy is agreeable to putting it on the ADS dyno to warm it up, run through the gears, etc - not a full pull, but at least a healthy one.  He says 305 HP to the ground.

Any Input? 

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 09:17:30 PM »
Beautiful car but 6th from last pic bugs me.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 09:21:10 PM »
Me too.  That's why I took a picture of it.  It has been repaired.  Guy said there were three spots that were repaired, and as a consequence, others that were reinforced.  Apparently the car was built with tabs w/out reinforcement.  Top shock mounts on the front end, etc.  Those have been reworked and same for some of the lower tabs. 

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 09:23:14 PM »
IMO,be very cautious.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 11:54:09 AM »
IMO,be very cautious.

Dude, next time just speak up.  Make me figure this out myself just hurts.....

This what you worried about?

Not gonna do it.  More i thought about it - mounting the front arms with bushing in lieu of heims is just hokey - major PITA to rework.  Weird, they can dump money into the rest and not do the heims right?  Somebody will get a nice headache.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 01:30:12 PM »
There ya go. IMO you made the right decision.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 05:22:14 PM »
Dude, next time just speak up.  Make me figure this out myself just hurts.....

This what you worried about?

Not gonna do it.  More i thought about it - mounting the front arms with bushing in lieu of heims is just hokey - major PITA to rework.  Weird, they can dump money into the rest and not do the heims right?  Somebody will get a nice headache.

Allot of builders will do this because bushings are much quieter then heims.  and a good nyltron bushing will last five times as long as a heim.  If done right with double sheer tabs "not channel tabs" bushings can be nice.  Just not the way that one is done.  Smart man to walk away from that one. 

Were them side panels alli or fiberglass?  Look like fiberglass to me. Go back to the Tec 3.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal