Author Topic: Selling on Ebay  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Boostinjdm

Selling on Ebay
« on: September 27, 2009, 05:21:13 PM »
Anybody do it?

I've always been a buyer, but lately have been considering selling off some of my parts that have been laying around.  Mostly car stuff, not really buggy related.

So what I want to know is....is it too much of a hassle to sign up just to sell a few items?  Any problems?  Are the fees hard to figure out or unreasonable?

I have read the info on Ebay a few times in the past, but never pulled the trigger.  I'm thinking I'm gonna have to read it again, but would like to hear some personal experience from those that have been there.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Re: Selling on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 08:09:09 PM »
Ehh, it is what it is.  Fees, etc, shipping, etc.   They get you on the listing, on the fees, on the paypal, on the this on the that.  Reach a large market, but if it is specific to buggies, etc it might be better to post at various boards.  If it is big and cannot be shipped, off to craigslist you go.
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 08:35:20 PM »
Check the fees CAREFULLEY. I got over 870 feedback buying and selling (its more like 950 transactions) on ebay and I QUIT using it due to the crazy ass fees! I do still buy from there when its the only place to find an item but its my last resort. I do not EVER plan to sell on there again.

NOW they MAKE you accept paypal on ALL but a few things. But the time the Ebay fees and the Paypal fees are added up its usually over 20% of your money made. Often a good bit more.

The new feedback system is a JOKE. Sellers CANNOT leave NEG feedback on buyers even if they do not pay (My biggest reason for getting off it) yet a buyer can get an item. Leave bad feedback. Halt payment on paypal and you would not believe what you as a good seller has to do to TRY to straighten it out.

Another mean trick thats going on now is you sell a good item. A scmbag buyer gets it and keeps it. but puts an identical BUT JUNK item in the packaging and sends it back you you and files a claim with paypal. They often get there money back and a good item claiming what you sent was junk. (To combat this many sellers VIDEO tape the items being packaged but that even does not always work and its a lot of hassle)

When there is a dispute Paypal seems to just randomly pick who wins.
They USUALLY seem to take the side of the one who cries foul first.
Since you may be a good seller you think all fine. The scumbag buyer cries foul and suddenly hes right.

(Note: Paypal and Ebay are owned by the same people)

Cragis list is not without its faults. But face to face and cash is best. Even then I have a money pen here for checking for counterfeit.

Hitting all the big name buggy sites is likely your cheapest and safest bet.

My .02 sense (cents)   
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 09:17:59 PM »
if your just selling a few parts it shouldnt be a hassle to sell on ebay.. i used to do alot of selling.. but i agree the new feedback system is a complete joke.  the fees are alot more than they used to be. and people are more worthless than ever. but a few parts, that are auto specific should be fine.
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 10:15:34 PM »
The main things I want to sell off are kinda application specific (replaced or never used in my civic).  Honda manifolds, ecu's, and such.  I really only have half a dozen things that come to mind right now, but ought to be worth a few hundred bux.
This post has been edited due to content.

LiveWire

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 10:40:42 AM »
Another mean trick thats going on now is you sell a good item. A scmbag buyer gets it and keeps it. but puts an identical BUT JUNK item in the packaging and sends it back you you and files a claim with paypal. They often get there money back and a good item claiming what you sent was junk. (To combat this many sellers VIDEO tape the items being packaged but that even does not always work and its a lot of hassle)

We just had that happen. A guy wanted a few FL350 gears. After getting them, he said that his old gear was in better shape than one of the new ones and wanted to send back the one he bought. This seemed absurd since the gears we sent were in great shape. We said to send it back which the times people have tried it in the past, the just never end up actually sending it. They think we'll give a refund first. By the time we got it, it was 3 weeks into the transaction. The gear he sent back was missing teeth. We just did not do anything and it was past the 6 week PayPal cut off by the time he called. I missed the call and he left voice mail. Now that the 6 weeks is past, I'll have no problem confronting him on the fact that he is trying to scam us. My wife video taped the gear we sent while packing it. She rolled it around so every tooth can be seen in the video.

The other scam going around right now is people are claiming the never got the shipment very frequently. We did get burned by this. We got burned because UPS said they would pay the insurance. We figured if they were going to pay, then we would refund the money to our customer. UPS never paid though. When called and asked, they add new requirements for paying. I don't understand why UPS would do things in such a way that would screw their customer. If they would have just said they would not pay until certain requirements were filled, we would have put those requirements on our customer. He said he picked up a pair of shocks locally to replace the ones we had custom built for him and were supposedly stolen. It would be nice to have someone local to him take a picture of his machine with the stolen shocks installed.

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 11:00:43 AM »
I have sold a lot of spare race parts on Feebay over the years. But at this point I feel exactly the same as Nutz. Saving all the stuff up for the off road swap meet from now on.

SPEC

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 05:31:34 AM »
Me too...
I've been searching for a transaction place for the site to use for some time now but paypal seems to be the best?
anybody know of another one that has good security without the absurd paypal fees...christ I'll have to jack the price of the stickers 50% to cover the paypal fees

LiveWire

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 09:24:50 AM »
Google had a thing for taking payments that was much cheaper than PayPal. I don't know if it still exists.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal