Author Topic: Smart Car or Death Trap?  (Read 16531 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Smart Car or Death Trap?
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2009, 09:22:39 PM »
We all have our opinions but,show me just one incidence of it happening. Just one.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 09:29:31 PM by Masterfabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

chrishallett83

« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2009, 09:25:31 PM »
Sure! No problem!

You just need to provide me with the two trucks and the pick-up, and a remote control system for one of the trucks. I'll do the rest free of charge, I quite enjoy smashing things up.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2009, 09:40:07 PM »
Then you're saying it would be the first time in history that a 1 ton Pickup was in a collision like that? I bet if there was such an incident EVER that there is a picture somewhere showing it since it would be even more sensational than that little bitty car getting accordianed. Just a thought  so why do you need to do any experimenting and WHY would I wish to provide you guys with the toys to prove ME right? LOL!!!!!  It is real easy to find stuff supporting my viewpoint so why is it so hard for you guys to do the same?  Hmmmmmmm? Let's be clear here in what I'm asking to see. simply put I want to see ANY pic of a 1 ton 4 door dually Chevy in the same accordian condition as the small car in the pic after being struck by 2 similar trucks in the same scenario. Should be simple since it happens don't ya know?  Damn this is getting fun.   ;D ;D  Bottom line though is that none of us are going to convince the other one way or the other. Hope no ones getting bent over it. 8)
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2009, 11:12:01 PM »
It is real easy to find stuff supporting my viewpoint

Care to share then? :-*

The truck is going to be more rigid than the car.  Nobody is disputing that.  What I have been saying is that there is enough excess force there to overcome that difference in rigidity.  And......

You ain't gonna make it.
This post has been edited due to content.

chrishallett83

« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2009, 02:16:39 AM »
Tell ya what Masterfabr, I don't want to argue over an insignificant point for which we are arguing opinions (neither of us has concrete unassailable evidence for our side), so can we just agree that the best place to be in a heavy goods vehicle/passenger vehicle crash is the heavy goods vehicle?

Islander

« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2009, 05:02:37 AM »
I'll take my Freightliner over your 1 ton  ;D 

As to the survival of poor Masterfabr in this incident, you have pages of argument pretty much AGREEING with each other.  YES he will have better odds in the one ton, period.  NO that does not ensure survival, period.  Would anyone do ANYTHING to have better odds of survival, even if they are still low odds, in a wreck like that?  Effin A they would.  Stranger things have happened.  One thing that everyone in this argument is forgetting, is that the is a DRIVER in truck that is also attempting to avoid the accident.  As for the safety record of such drivers, I've been hit from behind three time's by passenger cars while stopped at intersections, and never even in a close call with a heavy truck, and that includes while driving one.  Those accidents are just sensationalized because of the carnage.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2009, 05:51:01 AM »
All but trojan and boost are pretty much in agreement. It SEEMS that they feel there is no way for a 1 ton to raise the odds of survival. Sorry but I do not accept that premise.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2009, 06:01:19 AM »
Care to share then? :-*

The truck is going to be more rigid than the car.  Nobody is disputing that.  What I have been saying is that there is enough excess force there to overcome that difference in rigidity.  And......

You ain't gonna make it.
It's obvious what you've been saying.You have not tho shown there is any excessive force. First off there is no extra force available or the damage to the small car and trucks would have been even greater. Second,  you have no idea what force is necessary to accordian a 1 ton dually so how can you make a statement like that as if it is a given fact? Third, there is no way for you to show that I would or would not survive in that accident if I were in a 1 ton instead of that tin can they call a car. I NEVER said I would. I SAID I'd take my chances in my dually over the small car.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2009, 06:51:10 AM »
Sorry to throw gas on Master's little spark.  I would rather be in the dually with Master, with a bunch of luck on my side.  Best chance of survival would be the dump truck.

But now it doesn't matter, Obama called and wants you to trade in your dually for a tiny plastic car that easilly fits under dump trucks.  Just cant figure out how we're gonna deliver all these heavy materials without big trucks that get 5-10 mpg.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2009, 07:31:19 AM »
Speaking of gas on a spark. Anyone skeptical about the authenticity of that pic? Seems to me there is not enough damage to the rear dump truck. Look at the front bumper.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Islander

« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2009, 09:20:11 AM »
I don't believe it myself, mainly because the force would have moved the front truck a bit forward at least, and there is no rubber on the road from tires dragging, and the force to crush a car that much would require the front truck to be stationary, I would think.  His load is not even shifted.  If it is real, then it lends even more weight to Master's argument.  A 1 ton would have enough strength and rigidity to move a stationary truck, even with a good load on, if only a short distance.  And on top of that, the rear truck is crushed up much more on the drivers side than the pass., and yet, the whole line-up is dead straight.  You would think that the trucks would be a bit askew, especially if the driver was awake in the truck, he would have steered a bit anyway!

As for trading heavy truck for little cars, the way around that is doing a whole bunch of trips getting 50 mpg instead of one getting 10.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:24:06 AM by Islander »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2009, 10:07:01 AM »
I see it the same. Check out the straight front bumper on the rear truck.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

chrishallett83

« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2009, 12:07:26 PM »
Sorry to throw gas on Master's little spark.  I would rather be in the dually with Master, with a bunch of luck on my side.  Best chance of survival would be the dump truck.

But now it doesn't matter, Obama called and wants you to trade in your dually for a tiny plastic car that easilly fits under dump trucks.  Just cant figure out how we're gonna deliver all these heavy materials without big trucks that get 5-10 mpg.

You can still have a big heavy 'truck'. Just one that has much better fuel consumption than 5-10 mpg.

chrishallett83

« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2009, 12:10:18 PM »
I see it the same. Check out the straight front bumper on the rear truck.

That's no ordinary stamped 1/16th plate truck bumper mate, that looks like a piece of I-beam bent and bolted to the chassis.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2009, 12:37:06 PM »
That's no ordinary stamped 1/16th plate truck bumper mate, that looks like a piece of I-beam bent and bolted to the chassis.
Better take a closer look. That's a standard front bumper for that truck.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal