Author Topic: Tragedy at Little Sahara 9/26/08  (Read 4501 times)

Online fabr

• Administrator
Tragedy at Little Sahara 9/26/08
« on: September 27, 2008, 02:39:53 PM »
I good friend of mine was killed at Little Sahara State Park at Waynoka,Ok. yesterday,9/26/08. He was there with his kids.Apparently he was at the bottom of a rise and a sandrail  crested the dune landing on Mike White. He was one of the nicest most sincere people I have ever had the privilege of knowing.He will be missed by many. PLEASE guys when you are offroad  BE CAREFUL.All of your own personal safety gear will not help an ATV/motorcycle rider if you hit them.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Admin

Re: Tragedy at Little Sahara 9/26/08
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 03:45:10 PM »
Sorry to hear that fabber!!

VLADD

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 04:57:50 AM »
sorry to hear that,
That sucks

ffjosh

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 03:05:14 PM »
sorry to hear that, That is my biggest fear when at the dunes :(

wildcatkit52

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 10:00:07 PM »
Sorry for your friend.

Two lessons for those that don't ride dunes much but decide to go.

DO NOT jump a dune without a lookout.

DO NOT spend time on the landing side of a dune. Somebody may have a case of the stupid and jump it without a lookout.

If you don't have somebody to sit at the crest and spot for you, don't jump a dune. Period.

Why risk it? Especially at a larger event when there are MANY people at the park? One reason my group tends to go mostly on off weekends now...

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 10:25:30 PM »
Ditto!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

VLADD

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 05:04:45 AM »
Wildcatkit put that well,
I agree with all he said plus, People need to keep their witts about them and a watchfull eye out for those who aren't payin attention or living by the rules above

Dqracer

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 03:17:10 PM »
Thats sad to hear, its something that could have been avoided with alittle common sense driving  like wildcatkit pointed out.  It only takes a few incidences like that to close down even more of the ever increasing few places left to go off-roading.

wildcatkit52

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 06:15:03 PM »
It happens at LS about every year at some point. Sadly, I have noted that most times it is a buggy that injures a bike or quad rider.

The reason for this is that on those you tend to ride in a group and it is easy to have someone spot.

Many buggy drivers fill up their fancy buggy and go out to play. I have seen MANY more buggies come flying over the dunes without as much as driving around to make sure there isn't anybody on the other side.

I don't know why that is really. I guess because they feel safe in the cage and don't worry about the landing?

At any rate, More of them, I include trucks and jeeps in that category, end up landing on somebody that is standing around watching friends hitting the NEXT dune.

Maybe they need to hand out fliers or something at the gates to "learn" people of the dangers out there.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 07:53:46 PM »
Oklahoma COULD put some park rangers ON the DUNES instead of flooding the campgrounds with them at night to help the problem also. In all the times I've been there,and that's PLENTY, I've only seen the park rangers ON the DUNES one fricken time.That my friends is just plain BULLSHIT.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

artie on edge

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 08:01:03 PM »
Jesus mate thats bloody horrible. So sorry for his family and all who knew the guy.

We dont really have a duning culture over here, just a few clubs actively offroad racing. All vehicles in public areas must be registered vehicles so unless its private land we simply cant do it.

As for your rangers.. I guess its a case of rules for the guidance of wise men and for the control of fools. Unfortunatley, we gotta live with fools as well as wise men/women.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 08:10:19 PM »
I snow ski quite a bit and Colorado,home of the best skiing in the world,has in recent years began to put many more ski patrol on the slopes to help "encourage" careless skiers to ski safely.They accomplish this by aggressively pulling an offenders lift ticket for the day . You'd be amazed at what just their presence does to curb the reckless behavior.Safety on the mountains has increased a lot.Same would hold true for LS.It's only 1500 acres .There's no reason for all the serious injuries and fatalities that happewn there.Will it still happen ? Yes but IMO it would be significantly reduced.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SPEC

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 06:03:47 AM »
LS is the only state park in Oklahoma that makes money 8)
I was looking into building a resort down there The specinator and I were there for a week... It WAS in the off season but I went thru the gate 7 different times and nrver paid or saw any officials...I didn't go duning I was there on business, But like master said... some ranger presence would help to stop or lessen these tragedies...
A small giggle for those not in this household...I wonder if that JAMMIE THEIF STILL WORKS AT THE HOTEL...

boltz2012

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 04:14:33 AM »
Sorry to hear about your loss. My best regards to you and to his family thats left behind.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal