Author Topic: MBN Is loosing ground... Again. Look at this article./Chain debate  (Read 13619 times)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: MBN Is loosing ground... Again. Look at this article./Chain debate
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2009, 03:52:21 PM »
 ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

I expected as much.... No more of course.

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

standfast

« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2009, 04:31:13 PM »
I am an advocate of moving the sprockets out aways from the motor if at all possible and the bigger the better. If its not right on the motors shaft it will not get heat from the motor near as easy if at all.
 Longer is better of course for distance but the design of many buggies dictate what you can run with. I would have NO problems running two spockets that are so big they nearly kiss each other if I did not have a lot of distance between the drive and the driven.

Being most gear boxes tend to use sprockets that are close the the same size or with minor differances I believe that two rear sprockets off a matching bike/chain with a few to no teeth count differance will yield the best results period. Even with the faster speeds the chain will cool itself better and not have near the issues. Sure its my opinion. I have always said it was.

We already KNOW that small sprockets ARE NOT the answer. Right?

I read this on a chain site... which is why I asked.

Center distance should not be less than 1.5 times the diameter of the larger sprocket, nor less than 30 times the chain pitch, and should not exceed 60 times the chain pitch.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2009, 05:24:33 PM »
I am aware that is the route you are taking. My response is not based on that you are doing it, but based on my own research into it. That is not to down play your use, but to indicate I am not not just reiterating something someone else posted.

One thing I have not seen anything on before is what makes a roller chain better suited to run open? While HyVo chain life would be reduced running open, would it be as bad as roller chain in this type of application?
And I applaud that! Research-gooood.Taking my word(or anyone else's) for anything--- baaaad.

A roller chain is cheap compared to a silent chain. IMO that's the only reason they are used in an open application. Simple as that.  Silent chains are used extensively open and without lube of any kind with minimal elongation in many applications.BUTTTTT, once a speed/load is reached they need lube.Same as roller-good to a point open but once that speed/load is reached they die quickly.IMO the only real answer to the heat/short life issue is enclosing in an oil bath whether roller or silent type.  For the life of me I do not understand why no one hasn't built an after market primary drive for a Jeffco or an RPM box by now.It's simple as can be!  I know it's my next project for the VMC. It's already drawn up.(BTW,I should be FINALLY operational in about a month).IMO the advantage to silent is the ability to be run without a tensioner(I know there are non believers ;D), the advantage to roller is cost.Pick your poison.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2009, 05:26:39 PM »
Oh and there is no way to seal lube in a silent chain so,IMO, the life would be as bad or worse than roller open in a buggy.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

artie on edge

« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2009, 06:35:57 PM »
IMO the advantage to silent is the ability to be run without a tensioner(I know there are non believers ;D), the advantage to roller is cost.Pick your poison. [/color]

I get quite distressed when I agree with Fabr.... I really need professional help here.

The other advantage of a silent is its ability to transfer large amounts of power without excess wear.

But who is questioning the silents ability to run without a tensioner?

Simply put, the more 'load' a silent is under, the tighter it is. It rides up (or out if you like) on the tapered teeth of its gear set. A worn silent when not turning (no load) can appear to look like it should fall off the gears its so slack.

b.c.bugger

« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2009, 08:58:47 PM »
well, I'm pretty sure fabber was thinking of me there, and ya I do disagree for the most part about silent chain not needing a tensioner. I do agree they "ELONGATE"  :laugh: much less than a roller, but don't kid yourself, they will gain slack and that is a bad thing.
I have personally seen and performed repairs to many sled chaincases that were the victim of improper chain tension and subsequent grenading of the hyvo chain.
There is a reason sleds have chain tensioners installed from the factory and it is not to make gearing changes easier. Just pick up a manual from a snowmobile manufacturer.....chain tensioning is an important part of regular maintenance no matter how many miles are on it.
Again, I still say I agree that tensioning is far less of an issue with silent chain than it is with roller, as roller "EEEELLLLLOOONNNNGGGGAAAAATTTEEEESSS" :laugh: far more rapidly than hyvo

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2009, 06:48:15 AM »
IMO the advantage to silent is the ability to be run without a tensioner(I know there are non believers ;D), the advantage to roller is cost.Pick your poison. [/color]

I get quite distressed when I agree with Fabr.... I really need professional help here.

The other advantage of a silent is its ability to transfer large amounts of power without excess wear.

But who is questioning the silents ability to run without a tensioner?

Simply put, the more 'load' a silent is under, the tighter it is. It rides up (or out if you like) on the tapered teeth of its gear set. A worn silent when not turning (no load) can appear to look like it should fall off the gears its so slack.
It is disturbing isn't it? ;D ;D
Many have.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2009, 06:54:41 AM »
well, I'm pretty sure fabber was thinking of me there, and ya I do disagree for the most part about silent chain not needing a tensioner. I do agree they "ELONGATE"  :laugh: much less than a roller, but don't kid yourself, they will gain slack and that is a bad thing.
I have personally seen and performed repairs to many sled chaincases that were the victim of improper chain tension and subsequent grenading of the hyvo chain.
There is a reason sleds have chain tensioners installed from the factory and it is not to make gearing changes easier. Just pick up a manual from a snowmobile manufacturer.....chain tensioning is an important part of regular maintenance no matter how many miles are on it.
Again, I still say I agree that tensioning is far less of an issue with silent chain than it is with roller, as roller "EEEELLLLLOOONNNNGGGGAAAAATTTEEEESSS" :laugh: far more rapidly than hyvo
Compare the cheapo silent and a quality RPV chain is like comparing a rubber band to a roller chain. Also comparing the wimpy size of silent chain in a sled  case is like comparing a rope to a steel cable. You need to consider the transfer cases silent chains  in autos/trucks in this comparison. Sled silent to auto silent=no comparison. 
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal