Author Topic: Financial History  (Read 30022 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Financial History
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2009, 07:18:30 PM »
I'm sure this is just way too simple but ya know what? This complicated shit isn't getting the job done either.

How To Fix The Economy

In the St. Petersburg Times, the Business Section asked readers for ideas on
"How Would You Fix the Economy?"   This was the BEST idea. 

Patriotic Retirement:

There are about 40 million people over 50 in the  U.S. work force.
Pay them $1 million apiece severance with three stipulations...

1) They leave their jobs. Forty million job openings - Unemployment fixed!

2) They buy NEW American cars. Forty million cars ordered - Auto Industry fixed!

3) They either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing Crisis fixed!

"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

trojan

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2009, 09:15:24 PM »
There's a small matter of 40 trillion dollars *little finger to side of mouth*

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2009, 09:29:35 PM »
After Uncle Sam takes his cut of the first million, then taxes the car and the house,  it will only be like half that for out of pocket expense.  Shoot illegals on site and that would free up some money,  then all those inmates on death row..... .22 ammo is cheap.  Before ya know it the retirement package would be paid for.  Just a thought though.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2009, 10:35:35 PM »
Eng is "overpriced" what we call "poorly conceived, poorly engineered and poorly manufactured crap" over here?

Many are a pleasure to drive, but the new SUV that my wife wants is more than my annual salary before taxes. :P

Actually Ford and GM put out some pretty good units.  My wife currently has a Buick regal with 190K miles, and we haven't touched it mechanically, well maybe a halfshaft and brakes.

I won't speak for Chrysler.  :P  My Grandma taught me if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.  ;D

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2009, 10:38:53 PM »

Hehe I knew I recognized you from somewhere.......  It's DR EVIL, aka Trojan!  ;D

I have heard many of these simple solutions, apparently by people who don't own calculators.

trojan

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2009, 10:41:23 PM »
Mate, the solution I posted "only" required real "courage"...... but apparently Wal-Mart have run out of it ;D

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2009, 11:01:49 PM »
Your plan may get tested yet Trojan.

I heard today that Gietner wants the power to step in and take over any business that he/they deam critical to the economy.

Not only that they want a "super regulator" that can wump anyone that they deem is out of line.

Fortunately we won't run out of toilet paper in this crisis, because we have lots of copies of the constitution.

trojan

« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2009, 11:45:20 PM »
Public health care is a personal freedom. It puts your healthcare decisions with you and your doctor. Currently healthcare decisions are made for you solely by an insurance company unless you're rich enough to pay outright. That must be fixed. Standards need to improve... so do attitudes. Look at the way the Vets are treated... it's appalling.

Solution to the mess:
The economy could be fixed overnight... no I'm not playing silly buggers!  b:1
Think about it.
1) unsubscribe to fox news - naw f-it send an angry mob to burn the place down and put Rush Limbaugh in rehab. It's run by an Aussie and you all know Aussies are only out to fook with you!
2)If everyone ONLY bought 100% US products from 100% American (mom'n'pop if ya can) stores.
3) Send your kids and unemployed relatives out doing the jobs the illegals get... wait for it.... FOR LESS MONEY than the illegals get.
4) Throw everything you have at getting the "next thing in energy".

The current energy crysis is a golden opportunity for the US to hold on to the global energy economy. How F'd will the US be if the Asians or the Europeans beat you to the punch. Don't worry, if the Aussies do it, we'll sell out for peanuts to a US company and all will be fine ;)

Ready for free public transport yet? 
OK We'll just stick with solutions to the current mess ;D

trojan

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2009, 11:55:38 PM »
I heard today that Gietner wants the power to step in and take over any business that he/they deam critical to the economy.

Not only that they want a "super regulator" that can wump anyone that they deem is out of line.

Why is that bad... better still, argue why it is GOOD (you may learn something)

Fortunately we won't run out of toilet paper in this crisis, because we have lots of copies of the constitution.

Where in the Constitution does it state no nationalisation? Are you sure it's not just Neo-Con propaganda?

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2009, 12:06:45 AM »
Where in the Constitution does it state no nationalisation? Are you sure it's not just Neo-Con propaganda?

Separation of powers.

trojan

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2009, 12:27:28 AM »
Quote?

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2009, 12:32:14 AM »
Personally I think the gov't should nationalize all the oil companies and refineries in the country, All the ones owned by foreign companies on our soil should be taken over as well. 

Hold on, let me cover myself... ff: ok, proceed
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2009, 06:02:57 AM »
Now what do you say about it if you drop that to a more reasonable figure like 100,000 per person? All of a sudden it's  400 Billion.Seems like we have no problem throwing that away and the scenario is not nearly as ridiculous as you make it out.   How about we make it even less ridiculous and "just" give 10,000 to 200 million people and you get 2 trillion.Well within the range of what is already being talked about in total. I'm serious,the people at the helm of the "straighten this shit out boat" do not have a clue what caused this and are making IMO no effort to do so. In that light these "ignorant,dumb,stupid" ideas hold just as much water as what is currently being done.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2009, 07:54:20 AM »
The problem is they are throwing the 2 trillion away, but we get no certain benefit.

If they let the companies that made the bad decisions fail, we could take our losses in the market and go on with a solid base.  Instead we get these nebulous "solutions" that drags on the uncertainty.

I would rather completely lose the AIG and Citi out of my portfolio (which may have happened anyway when the govt took them over)  And let the balance recover from the haze.

Personally I think the gov't should nationalize all the oil companies and refineries in the country, All the ones owned by foreign companies on our soil should be taken over as well. 

Hold on, let me cover myself... ff: ok, proceed

I guess great minds think alike.  I will start calling you Castro.

Ozpilot

« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2009, 05:03:57 PM »
Hey Artie, you've got me curious ... which one of the (our) big four is not one of the big three?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal