Author Topic: In Car Video's and how to post them  (Read 3402 times)

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
In Car Video's and how to post them
« on: February 25, 2009, 01:42:57 PM »
Quite a bit of discussion going on here about what's hot and what's not for in car video recording:

http://dtsfab.com/index/index.php?topic=1078.0

The thread shown has quite a bit of info on different recording systems.  I was wondering if someone could give a rundown on the whole process from in car recording, to getting the video posted on DTSFAB.COM .

I have heard the preferable way to post the vid is to post it on Youtube then just link to it from here.  The part I am most unclear about, is how to get the video from the camera to Youtube.  I don't have a DV camera but would like to purchase one soon.  From what I saw on the other thread, it would be good to get one with video inputs so that a separate camera mounted on the car could give the feed to the camcorder.  A friend of mine had a MiniDV camera that worked great, but the videos could not be played on a computer because of the format.

If shopping for a Camcorder is there different formats that they produce?  What do you use?  What format do you usually upload to youtube?

Also mention was the SD card variety.  I know many computers have the card readers so it would be easy to transfer those files onto the computer then to Youtube.  What format would the video be recorded onto the card in?

odypilots

Re: In Car Video's and how to post them
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 03:10:48 PM »
Wow, where do I start? Getting your video on your computer IS easiest with the flash memory type (SD, Memory Stick, etc.), and also the hard drive type, as they usually use a usb cable. The hard drive types are prone to skipping as the head bounces on the platter, as well as the possibility of damage from the head bouncing.

The miniDV cams offer the best video quality and ability to plug bullet cams into them if you get one with the AV inputs you mentioned, but also can skip when subjected to shocks, and are the most difficult to get the footage into the computer. It's not really difficult if your computer has a Firewire (iee 1394) input, or you're comfortable adding one via a card.

The file types that the cams record vary, but most come with software to allow you to edit them, as well as a host of options with add on programs, often freeware. My new Panasonic uses a file type that none of my editing program recognize, so I have to use the included software, then transcode, or convert to a type they do.

Youtube accepts many file types, but there are better types to produce the best quality, but I don't know the best. A web search shoulld help you out there.

I could go on and on, but that should get you started. I'd be glad to help if you have more questions.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 03:32:17 PM »
So you don't know of any miniDV cameras that actually record with a file type that is supported by a PC?

So with the Firewire, you plug the output of the camcorder (that you could plug into a TV and watch) into the input of the Firewire card?  Then the card will process it and give you an AVI, or some other file type?

odypilots

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 03:41:57 PM »
Any modern computer should be able to handle the minDV file type if it has the right program.

The miniDV camcorder will (should) have a Firewire ouput. I say should because I have a vague recollection of some European countries not having a Firewire output, or something like that for some reason.

I should have also mentioned that some computers have AV inputs that use the outputs that you mentioned, that plug into a TV, that you could use in place of the Firewire connection. What file type the AV connection would give you would depend on the card.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 03:44:15 PM by Odypilots »

Admin

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 05:46:33 PM »
One thing i do not like about dv cameras, well the one my mother has, if you video 10 minutes of footage, you can view it back via the camera, but then you have to finalize the disk to take it elsewere, and the dvd is now toast, no more recording, with the camera she has anyways..

plkracer

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 06:05:29 PM »
That's a DVD camera, not Mini DV. Mini DV uses tiny video tapes.

odypilots

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 06:08:23 PM »

Admin

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 06:23:48 PM »
ya dvd that's it..

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 08:56:43 PM »

odypilots

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 05:32:21 AM »
I guess the one I was thinking of was DVD to.

Bug can you throw that DVD in the computer and have it read it or do you have to do the firewire thing?  If the DVD works, what format is the file?

Engineer, if your friend has a dvd camcorder and has trouble watching it with a computer, he may have to finalize the disc in the camcorder first, like Bug was saying. Dvd cams don't use Firewire. That connection is only used on MiniDV cams. I believe most (all?) dvd camcorders use mpeg2 file type.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 07:50:15 AM »
If you want to buy ONE system that will give you reliable use for years to come,again ,this is the one to buy.Yes others will get you by but in the end you will have them fail sooner or later.635 bux w/4G SD card. Not a bad deal really.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 08:56:36 AM »
If you want to buy ONE system that will give you reliable use for years to come,again ,this is the one to buy.Yes others will get you by but in the end you will have them fail sooner or later.635 bux w/4G SD card. Not a bad deal really.

Sigh...........

Offline Baloo

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 09:24:26 AM »
Right found you all over here, l wondered where you had all gone  ::)

l have done my homework and come up with the same conclusions as odypilots,  l have just ordered this
http://www.thedigitalcamerashop.co.uk/product_details.php?id=3825

l can see that anything with moving parts is not going to last strapped to a buggy,  so the idea of saving it all to a card make sense to me, l also like the idea of easy upload to youtube in a format that's suitable

also being water proof and dust proof sounds ok to me as does the ability to withstand shocks like dropping or jumping,

and its pretty small or the blokes got frigging big hands so fixing it to the side of my helmet shouldent be to difficult

anyway its too late now the card has been swiped ! :o

need to think about how to mount it now, has anyone got any expirence of isolating or damping systems/mounts?

theres a threaded hole in the base so l assume l bolt it on using that

Andy
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 09:31:01 AM by Baloo »

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 11:26:06 AM by Yummi »
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 11:31:45 AM »
BTDT hated it .
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal