Author Topic: My Winter Buggy Project  (Read 5731 times)

Odyknuck

Re: My Winter Buggy Project
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 06:55:02 AM »
What CFM did you calculate?  Assumming the Busa is at 1300 cc w/ a 1.6 VE at 6K RPM I come up with 220 CFM.  That would put you into a 3" unit that has the same dimensions as mine.  They offer the 4" that is 10" in dia. and about 18" long that would surley handel the Busa. Keep in mind you want to size it close so the turbine spins fast enough to spit the dirt out.

Not bad for a good filter/prefilter that does a good job of keeping clean air available. I was looking at their sizing chart and it appears it needs to be HUGE for a turbo busa. Am I missing something? I guess I COULD call them huh? Well,there's another thing i need to get done. drowning
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 07:29:26 AM by Odyknuck »

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 07:32:00 AM »
The busa turns 12,500 rpm though. You do the sizing according to max rpm don't you? The 10x18 wouldn't be so bad but any more than that it becomes a packaging issue.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Odyknuck

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 07:52:37 AM »
Oops! Yes you would size it for max RPM.   That would put you in to the 5" series and it would be 32" long.  Are you actully running the motor at its peak? I would call the supplier and talk with them. The max of 10 "WC shown on the chart equates to only a .3609 PSI pressure drop thru the filter. Thats not much. You could probably use the 4" and still be ok.  The velocity would be higher however still acceptable and not impede performance. You would need to know what the max turbine RPM is however. 

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 10:20:05 AM »
No, I would not be running iut at its' peak unless on long fast runs but that's not the point. I agree I should call them directly. Just got to get time.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 10:22:44 AM »
Oops! Yes you would size it for max RPM.   That would put you in to the 5" series and it would be 32" long.  Are you actully running the motor at its peak? I would call the supplier and talk with them. The max of 10 "WC shown on the chart equates to only a .3609 PSI pressure drop thru the filter. Thats not much. You could probably use the 4" and still be ok.  The velocity would be higher however still acceptable and not impede performance. You would need to know what the max turbine RPM is however. 
You lost me there.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Odyknuck

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 10:50:26 AM »
The VLR air cleaner has a Turbine  (fan) built into it to expel the dirt before it hits the filter.  I assumme it has a critical RPM before it goes Kaboom.  The motor vaccumme spins it, so if your outside its range then it could be a problem.  That would be a question for the Manufacture.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2010, 11:10:02 AM »
That turbine does not turn. It is stationary.It makes the air swirl to form a vortex that expels the debris before it gets to the element. At least that's how all have been that I've seen on heavy equipment.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Odyknuck

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2010, 12:06:38 PM »
Yes it has an actual mechanical turbine that spins.  Your probably thinking of the McDonnel series that does not have one.

That turbine does not turn. It is stationary.It makes the air swirl to form a vortex that expels the debris before it gets to the element. At least that's how all have been that I've seen on heavy equipment.

chrishallett83

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2010, 11:59:14 AM »
Currently eyeing off the girlfriends Dyson vacuum...

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2010, 01:53:42 PM »
Yes it has an actual mechanical turbine that spins.  Your probably thinking of the McDonnel series that does not have one.

Really!?! Post up a pic! I'm getting more interested all the time.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Odyknuck

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 12:42:14 PM »
Got the frame back from the powder coater over the week end.  Ready for assembly now.

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm72/Odyknuck/Pilot%20Build/

Odyknuck

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2010, 08:03:42 AM »
The required Trans output shaft bearing is discontinued and had to find a replacement for it. I was able get a wider one that required machining .118" of the flange it rides against. The recieved the replacement 17mm wider bearing and installed it. As it turns out there was just enough clearence to install the shifter paw with the bearing in.  I trimmed .118" off the shaft to accomadate the wider bearing and all looks good to go. Well with the exception of I am not pleased with the excessive play in the new bearing.  My experience with ball bearings is they tend to have a zero to a slight side play in the inner race, however this one allows me to rock the shaft about an 1/8". I also discovered the main shaft seals are discontinued and had to find replacements for them too.

Bearing Installed with shifter Paw clearence

Bearing Installed with shifter Paw clearence

Shaft trimmed down

New Main Shaft replacement seals with 2 options for the right side shown on the left.

Odyknuck

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2010, 07:20:46 AM »
Weekend  Updates, Completed Trans assembly with new 2 piece Driven clutch shaft and Gas Tank.
Installation complete. 
http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm72/Odyknuck/Pilot%20Build/

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 08:41:16 AM »
Very nice install!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Odyknuck

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2010, 09:09:41 AM »
Thanks, It certainly did not come without its trials and tribulations :-[ :o lol.   After working thru all the bearing issues on the trans I get it Installed and discovered that my Driven clutch would not clear the frame and trans primary shaft. Even with all the pre measuring to determine were to split the 2 piece shaft I was 3/8" to long for clearence. So my solution was to remove 3/8" off the clutch wear it slides onto the shaft.   I made a split arbor so I could chuck up the driven clutch in the lathe and removed 3/8".  I then made an additional spacer to make up for the 3/8" I removed as shown near the trans. Allways something!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal