Author Topic: RC51 powered "rhino"  (Read 16744 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: RC51 powered "rhino"
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2009, 10:09:50 AM »
Welded spiders?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

chrishallett83

« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2009, 09:59:05 PM »
Which model Honda Trans?

It may have a viscous centre.

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2009, 04:26:17 AM »
Don't ya love those one's with the viscous centers Mmmmmm...
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2009, 06:08:37 AM »
 It is a L3(?) 5 spd. It came in 80s civics and such. Not sure on the viscous center....love it or hate it??

chrishallett83

« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2009, 04:24:25 PM »
A viscous centre is better than an open centre, but not as good as a 'proper' limited slip differential centre.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2009, 07:20:15 PM »
A viscous will slip easily at low speed differentials such as turning a corner similar to an open rearend but as the speed differential increases  ,such as one tire trying to spin ,the slip becomes less and less as the speed difference becomes greater similar to a posi.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2009, 09:09:54 PM »
Civics didn't get LSD until the 88-91 body, and even then it was overseas models only.  I did read the other night that Honda's factory LSD is a helical type.  I think that's what I read anyway.  Look up your tranny at honda-tech.com.  If it's a 5 speed, it's out of a DX, or SI.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2009, 11:01:17 PM »
Some light reading....  It tells how to identify LSD without a teardown.

http://tjshondas.20m.com/l3.htm
This post has been edited due to content.

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2011, 06:18:15 PM »
 Well, the Jeep project is on hold for a while so I thought I'd bring the car back into the garage and try to finish it this time around.

Picked up another tranny (last one went in the golfcart) and traded a guy my center pull steering rack for his end pull rack. Got all my bushings and the tube to fit them into, so I'm ready to get after this thing and make some real engine noise!

What I REALLY need is some help with the design of the front suspension of the car. I have NEVER liked anything I have done with it, so I'd like to put it out there to get some "professional" help. I've seen some of the stuff RickS and Protofab has done (very nice work!) and guys that have the coin to drop for the really good stuff...I have no idea how to make the best of what I have and where I want to go with it.

I have the 10" stroke Kings and hope to be running a 30-31" LT type tire the steering rack is the 7th one down on this page http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/buggy/susp/buggysusp%20rack&pinion.htm

Can someone ppplllleeeeaaaaaasssssseeeee help me out? I'm still on a tight budget but could swing some cash for the design AND laser or water jet(??). As far as Proto goes how 'bout some prices on hub, too? I'm thinking I might like to do brakes on the front, too.

I can post or email pics if needed, I expect I won't be keeping the front end that is currently on the car so maybe it would just be for size and reference?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2011, 10:13:20 PM »
What track width are you shooting for? Flange to flange.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2011, 10:14:06 PM »
"I can post or email pics if needed, I expect I won't be keeping the front end that is currently on the car so maybe it would just be for size and reference?"

Be a good idea, with some dimensions.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2011, 10:21:56 PM »
Well, the Jeep project is on hold for a while so I thought I'd bring the car back into the garage and try to finish it this time around.

Picked up another tranny (last one went in the golfcart) and traded a guy my center pull steering rack for his end pull rack. Got all my bushings and the tube to fit them into, so I'm ready to get after this thing and make some real engine noise!

What I REALLY need is some help with the design of the front suspension of the car. I have NEVER liked anything I have done with it, so I'd like to put it out there to get some "professional" help. I've seen some of the stuff RickS and Protofab has done (very nice work!) and guys that have the coin to drop for the really good stuff...I have no idea how to make the best of what I have and where I want to go with it.

I have the 10" stroke Kings and hope to be running a 30-31" LT type tire the steering rack is the 7th one down on this page http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/buggy/susp/buggysusp%20rack&pinion.htm

Can someone ppplllleeeeaaaaaasssssseeeee help me out? I'm still on a tight budget but could swing some cash for the design AND laser or water jet(??). As far as Proto goes how 'bout some prices on hub, too? I'm thinking I might like to do brakes on the front, too.

I can post or email pics if needed, I expect I won't be keeping the front end that is currently on the car so maybe it would just be for size and reference?
IMO,that was a mistake as a center load rack with a rack adapter is easier to design and easier to eliminate bump steer issues but an end load can be made to work if ya know how and are willing to maybe make a few small compromises. Some prefer the end loads but not myself. I know dsrace does and he builds a great front end.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2011, 04:23:07 AM »
 I really never liked the center load rack I had...we'll see what happens. As for the rest I hope more will chime in?

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2011, 05:18:52 PM »
 Got to droolin' at the pics on Protodie's site, so I called....thanks Jody, looks like just what I need!

Gonna order his front end plate kit and use his spindles and hubs, too. Got the 'new' Honda tranny cut up and sitting in the right spot...now gotta build the new mounts for it.

Heard the RC run for the first time in about a year and a half...gotta love a Optima red top! This thing has been sitting for a LONG time and it still started! A v-twin open headers sounds bad @$$!! Put the new Big Gun can on it to tame it down and get a spark arrester on it to...still a crazy cool sound!

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2011, 03:38:01 PM »
 I need some help guys. Got things happening with the car...rear suspension almost done, motor mounts, etc. Need to figure out my gearing and what size rear sproket to get.

I found the rear ratio to be 4.250-1 with 5th gear being between .702 and .771 depending on the year and car (I believe .702 to be correct.). So, if memory serves, we would multiply the two together and have a ratio of 2.9835? Seems awful low?

I am going to be running about a 31 to 33 inch tire, what kind of gearing do I WANT? The final drive on the RC is 2.5-1 on the bike (16t x 40t) with the gear box being:

first      2.641
 second  1.812
 third      1.428
 fourth    1.124
 fifth       1.080
 sixth      0.962

So what is it that I'm supposed to be looking for? I'd like to keep the grunt of this motor and some of the top end...it doesn't need to go over about 70 or 80 mph though, thay seems about right.....no?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal