Author Topic: RC51 powered "rhino"  (Read 16749 times)

RC51 Rhino

Re: RC51 powered "rhino"
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2009, 02:52:37 PM »
 I've got a Honda quad I am thinking about robbing the calipers and rotors off of...think they will be big enough? What about the balancer/proportioning valve?

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2009, 04:54:26 PM »
Would probably be plenty, any additional stopping power on the front will make a big difference in the sand IMO.  Do the honda hubs fit your wheels?  I mainly keep asking about brakes because it makes a huge difference in the spindle design.  ;D  The brake rotor is going to control how far the lower heim can be put into the wheel.  That will affect KPI, Track width, A-arm length, shock ratio, etc.  So it's something you need to decide before changing anything.

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2009, 08:23:21 PM »
 I looked at the rotors and calipers today...if I use my steel hubs, I can weld on an adapter and not have to move anything. I can get some more KPI by moving the top heim mounting position in...towards the frame. Should work pretty well. A buddy said maybe a ball valve to 'turn off' the front brakes?

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2009, 06:38:22 AM »
You could al;so use the ball valve to give yourself a parking brake.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2009, 08:09:53 PM »
 Going to clean out the garage this week and fix the golfcart...hopefully sell it to finish this car. I'm back thinking heavily on this car after my rides at Glamis last weekend. The cart is fun but short on power and high on ride height. No body roll noticed but still feels too tall for duning.

I am leaning back on putting the Honda trans back in the car and changing the rear suspension AGAIN. Maybe a-arms? I really like the way the Teryx arms worked out on the cart and too the way the axles don't have much plunge... my trailing arms are asking for 5.5" of plunge!!! The only way I can make that work is with slip-joint driveshafts/u-joints. The joints I don't mind but I'm worrying about the slips binding. Any thoughts?

Don't want a 5 or 6 link...too complicated so it's either trailing arms or a-arms...PLEASE comment! I really want the travel I was shooting for with the trailing arms...18" or so, I think if I can get it in the front with few issues, I should be able to get it in the rear with the same (no pun intended!!)

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2009, 08:18:09 PM »
Going to clean out the garage this week and fix the golfcart...hopefully sell it to finish this car. I'm back thinking heavily on this car after my rides at Glamis last weekend. The cart is fun but short on power and high on ride height. No body roll noticed but still feels too tall for duning.

I am leaning back on putting the Honda trans back in the car and changing the rear suspension AGAIN. Maybe a-arms? I really like the way the Teryx arms worked out on the cart and too the way the axles don't have much plunge... my trailing arms are asking for 5.5" of plunge!!! The only way I can make that work is with slip-joint driveshafts/u-joints. The joints I don't mind but I'm worrying about the slips binding. Any thoughts?

Don't want a 5 or 6 link...too complicated so it's either trailing arms or a-arms...PLEASE comment! I really want the travel I was shooting for with the trailing arms...18" or so, I think if I can get it in the front with few issues, I should be able to get it in the rear with the same (no pun intended!!)
Thoughts? Ditch the slip shaft axles and go a arm. Talk to DS about rear a arms for first hand experience of any pit falls but in general get the mounts wide apart where they mount to the frame and make sure capable of the loads where the shock mounts..
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2009, 08:43:12 PM »
3-link..... Nobody here likes it, and I'm sure they'll speak up, but I think you should at least consider it. Do some research and make up your own mind.
This post has been edited due to content.

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2009, 08:51:30 PM »
DSrace, I guess? What do you say, DS? I like the 3 link, too...just not sure on the complications involved.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2009, 09:07:59 PM »
No no no on the 3 link. You might need to pm dsrace.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2009, 09:19:29 PM »
No no no on the 3 link. You might need to pm dsrace.

See, told ya... :)

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2009, 09:26:30 PM »
 I really do like the way the trailing arms are on the car now. Just can't get the travel right with the plunge right too. The a-arms on the cart work really well, I think I can do it again with good results.

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2009, 09:33:29 PM »
 Well here are a few pics of the progress since Halloween. Got the trans set and ready for mounts, clutch center machined down some and the CV cups from the pick-a-part installed and discovered I have a LSD. Yee Haww! Now wait 'til Wed. to get my BMW CVs and axles and get to fabbin'!

I know the pics suck, still trying to get the camera fixed and have to use my phone camera 'til then

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2009, 09:44:06 PM »
  discovered I have a LSD.

You're trippin alright, cuz I doubt you have limited slip.  Where'd the tranny come from.

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2009, 05:39:53 AM »
 A tuner kid in town (phoenix). Maybe not LSD...I can't turn the diff in oppposite directions by hand. Seems very tight? Guess I'll crack the cases and check it out.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2009, 10:04:18 AM »
A tuner kid in town (phoenix). Maybe not LSD...I can't turn the diff in oppposite directions by hand. Seems very tight? Guess I'll crack the cases and check it out.
LSD wasn't available in the states.  You might try looking up the tranny online to see if it is JDM.  Somebody could have split the case and added LSD, but it's pretty pricey and I doubt he would have parted with it for reasonable money.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal