Author Topic: snowmobile engine set up  (Read 1182 times)

Stomper

snowmobile engine set up
« on: April 29, 2009, 11:54:25 AM »
I have been looking for a sport bike engine for my build as it would be easier to use with the honda tranny that I want to use. I am looking for a complete bike that has been crashed. It's prety much inpossible to find around here. Because I live in an area that is not realy known for sport bikes. I can buy a complete snowmobile with electric start and reverse chain case from a smowmobile wreckers in my area for any where from $1000 to $1500. complete and running. And I have lots of choice of size and make, and year, even fuel injected.  I am more farmiliar with snowmobiles as this is snowmobile country and I have owned several. So I am leaning towards this again.
My question is, would a snowmobile chain case hold up in a buggy. or is there a wat to use it with the tranny. And do any of you know of a way to seal the belt so it would not get wet.
Any help would be appreiciated.
Thanks

Offline Tydra

• VIP
  • GRASSHOPPER
Re: snowmobile engine set up
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 12:09:11 PM »
lots of guys on here use snowmobile engines, mostly for the cvt transmission, also because the ones with reverse are typically an electronic reverse, meaning that the engine actually runs backwards. if you are gonna go that route, i'd suggest you look for one that is liquid cooled, air cooled one are designed to stay cool in cold air, in the heat of the summer it will likely overheat.

as for size, bigger is better, my gut always says it needs to be big enough to go fast enough to do something stupid in. lol... that being said, how big of buggy are you planning?

Stomper

Re: snowmobile engine set up
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 12:36:31 PM »
yeah I am definatly going with liquid cooled.
Just took some measurements of the driven clutch on my sled and the clearence from the center of the input on the honda :( It will not work the clutch would hit the cv. So I guess using a sled engine and honda trany is out of the question.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal