Author Topic: How is this for and idea  (Read 7393 times)

artie on edge

Re: How is this for and idea
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 05:22:23 PM »
Hehehe!.I was wondering if someone was going to point that out.The corrosion/erosion mentioned won't occur tho if you keep fresh and proper dilution ratio  antifreeze in your system .

Sory Fabr, misapprehension there.. antifreeze aint gonna stop a galvonic corrosion incident. The only thing that will reduce this is effective earthing.

Anti-freeze stops things freezing, radiator inhibitor reduces corrosion through the normal corrosive process. Add stray current and nothing will halt it except (as mentioned) effective earthing.

This issue is prevelant when home bods do their own engine transplant and forget or simply dont bother to hook up all the earth wires again.

Have had a new ali rad corode to many pin hole level in 5 weeks due to missing earth strap.

Easy checked, multi meter on volts one probe in coolant one probe on earth. should read zip, if there is a reading go looking....

late addition here...acceptable limits are anything less than 50mv (0.005v). The unit which corroded in 5 weeks read 1.83 volts.

You can buy dedicated testers but these are just leds which light up over 50mv, save your money and use your multi meter.

Mixing coolants can also cause a voltage in a system as well (dont ask me what mix though) and this is also labelled stray voltage but in essence its not really, its more a generated voltage..same result though..
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 06:38:08 PM by Artie on edge »

trojan

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 12:58:28 AM »

artie on edge

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 02:15:56 AM »
gee tah Troj old mate ( i think?...stupid? I guess it has been said before...sigh)

Offline Jerry

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 05:33:47 AM »
Nice but 28 is 1 1/8 and is really tight to get into a 1 inch hole even lubed. ( I know where that is going)I have tried with 1 inch copper which is 11/8

trojan

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 06:40:49 AM »
gee tah Troj old mate ( i think?...stupid? I guess it has been said before...sigh)

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 06:42:57 AM »
Nice but 28 is 1 1/8 and is really tight to get into a 1 inch hole even lubed.

I bet he has others?  They might accommodate you with a little less discomfort  :o
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 06:46:46 AM by Yummi »
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 06:45:50 AM »
On the ground issue, is this because the rad is typically rubber isolated in some fashion?  And, does it require a grounding strap for the rad, or, are you just discussing a ground strap for the block, etc?

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

trojan

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 06:52:08 AM »
you'll find if the rad is isolated by design the sensor has 2 wires or a grounding strap ;)

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 06:58:15 AM »
That brings up another question, why not just tap into the top of the tank on the rad and forgo this whole adapter issue?  Also, my sensor comes from the block, is there a preferred location to take the temp or is it treated like a "whole unit."

trojan

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 07:02:15 AM »
generally (but not always) the fan is switched by a sensor in the rad and the gauge is from another sensor in the block/head.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 01:36:01 PM »
just my 02 - but I prefer my fan switch sensor right next to my temp sensor. this way when I want to change temp turn on I can watch the guage. through the hose will work and is easier in most cases. I think speedwaymotors.com sells them also.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

artie on edge

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2009, 04:41:26 PM »
Im with Ds on this one... then what you see on the gauge is actually what the fan sensor is also "seeing". Dont forget that many systems can have hot spots which can vary these results greatly. I like the idea of an inline mount, avoid any potential problems by either earthing it or mounting it to the frame.

I think its obviously harder to source 1" units than we would have thought, so why not just make it...not that difficult to do in a tidy manner, no reason why it couldnt be steel if you have limited alloy welding acess.

With regards to the 1 1/8" unit and 1" opening ... if you use enough lube..and push hard enough... mmmm best not go there... this is a family forum after all (isnt it?)

Offline Jerry

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2009, 04:54:09 PM »
I will try 1 inch copper that is 1 1/8 and lots of lube. Copper stuff is easy to find and sweat together.

Admin

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 05:00:12 PM »
I will try 1 inch copper that is 1 1/8 and lots of lube. Copper stuff is easy to find and sweat together.

you should be able to get some one inch copper hose bibs... fits actual 1" hose, but i may be wrong....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal