Author Topic: Bump Steer  (Read 27649 times)

Offline sandycrack

Re: Bump Steer
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2014, 07:15:41 PM »
Update:
After spendng several evenings over the last 2 weeks I finally made progress.  I have .555 change to toe in from full droop to full compression.  I am still tring to get it smaller.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 07:21:28 PM by sandycrack »
You smell that?

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2014, 07:32:05 PM »
Good progress but you need to get it to .25 or less as a minimum.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline sandycrack

« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2014, 07:42:37 PM »
I agree.  Up to now I consider what I have done to be the course adjustments so now comes the fine adjustments.  I have to admit I am not sure where, but am determined.  I bought a laser measure to make measuring easier.
You smell that?

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2014, 08:08:43 PM »
sounds like your making good progress and are really close. fabbr is right at or under .25" change is for the best, not always possible for some builds but preferred.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2014, 08:22:36 PM »
I agree.  Up to now I consider what I have done to be the course adjustments so now comes the fine adjustments.  I have to admit I am not sure where, but am determined.  I bought a laser measure to make measuring easier.
A laser plumb bob is the best money you can spend ,use for everything on a build.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2014, 08:39:35 PM »
I bought two Stanley lazer pointers with magnetic base's to set alignment on my rear and front. just measure out 3 feet infront of tires. a good way to track bump steer in an extreme measurement too. I saw enemy's and had to get a pair for myself a while back.

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2014, 08:40:35 PM »
sandy crack are you going to make the trek to LS for the may gathering?

Offline sandycrack

« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2014, 08:47:56 PM »
I believe I have found the resolution.  I have not been able to get less than .55 regardless of what I tried.  I have adjusted in all directions and even made everything worse.  I played with a tool at Racing Aspirations and came up with a base set up which got me back to the .55 which is very noticeable without even measuring.  I found an article authored by the guy that used to build Revenge Sand Cars, I think his name was Jason.  Over on GD they used to make a lot of good comments about his building abilities, but he did screw a lot of people out of money.  In the article he covered the "bump steer bracket" for the rack as the easiest way to correct for bump steer.  The bracket moves the mounting points of the tie rod to the rack outside the mount points of the arms.  I decided to try it and made a temp mount for the tie rod that was 1.125 wider.  After cycling the arm I was amazed that the bump steer seems to be minimal now.  I do have to rebuild the upper arms as the builder did not make them long enough to the front of the car.  That was also part of the problem.  I have a lot going on so might be a couple of weeks before I can get back to it, but will update when I get it all back together.  I hope I can get it to 1/8 or less. Sorry for the long post, but I became very frustrated that I couldn't make any progress and am elated now that I seem to have made some.  Time to grab a beer and celebrate!
You smell that?

Offline sandycrack

« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2014, 08:50:16 PM »
I will not make the May gathering.  I need to use any free time I can scrounge up to work on the buggy so I can get this running this summer.  I need to stay focused so I can make one of these get meets and actually have more than just a quad.  Things should start picking up speed.  Wahoo!
You smell that?

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2014, 09:00:42 PM »
his name is Justin and yes he did screw many out of deposits and warranties. he is still building out of his garage and that's funny he wrote an article about bump steer cause I have one of his rails that I have to drive east to see if I can get the bump out. in the sand with power steering it's fine but on the pavement it's all over the road!  good to hear on your end and hope to see you one of the trips!

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2014, 10:36:26 PM »
I believe I have found the resolution.  I have not been able to get less than .55 regardless of what I tried.  I have adjusted in all directions and even made everything worse.  I played with a tool at Racing Aspirations and came up with a base set up which got me back to the .55 which is very noticeable without even measuring.  I found an article authored by the guy that used to build Revenge Sand Cars, I think his name was Jason.  Over on GD they used to make a lot of good comments about his building abilities, but he did screw a lot of people out of money.  In the article he covered the "bump steer bracket" for the rack as the easiest way to correct for bump steer.  The bracket moves the mounting points of the tie rod to the rack outside the mount points of the arms.  I decided to try it and made a temp mount for the tie rod that was 1.125 wider.  After cycling the arm I was amazed that the bump steer seems to be minimal now.  I do have to rebuild the upper arms as the builder did not make them long enough to the front of the car.  That was also part of the problem.  I have a lot going on so might be a couple of weeks before I can get back to it, but will update when I get it all back together.  I hope I can get it to 1/8 or less. Sorry for the long post, but I became very frustrated that I couldn't make any progress and am elated now that I seem to have made some.  Time to grab a beer and celebrate!
That's the rack adapter we told you about earlier in this topic.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2014, 10:37:31 PM »
I will not make the May gathering.  I need to use any free time I can scrounge up to work on the buggy so I can get this running this summer.  I need to stay focused so I can make one of these get meets and actually have more than just a quad.  Things should start picking up speed.  Wahoo!
I hear you on that!!!! Keep at it,we'll meet up soon enough.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal