Author Topic: Slow Build by Engineer  (Read 87082 times)

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: Slow Build by Engineer
« Reply #240 on: December 16, 2010, 01:23:02 PM »
Yes but the inside tire has a shorter radius then the outside tire.  So the inside has to turn tighter then the outside. Walk in a small circle your inside foot will have more angle then your outside foot. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

LiveWire

« Reply #241 on: December 16, 2010, 01:59:47 PM »
And making the inside tire turn more without the outside will decrease the turning radius ???

Only if you did not already have Ackermann. If you did, it would make things worse and turning radius would increase.

LiveWire,  Have a look see at this pic. 

Can you see how much more the inside wheel is turning compared to the outside.  If Carl can take a bit of turn, out of the inside wheel, and transfer that to the outside wheel, I think you'll see that the turn radius will get smaller. 

He doesn't have to take very much at all.  I understand that the inside wheel needs to turn further than the out side because the radius of the inside wheels path is shorter than that of the outside.  That part is easy, however.  If the outside wheel doesn't turn in enough to match the turning radius of the inside wheel plus the difference between the tires you will have increased your turning radius as the weight is transferred to the outside tire in a turn.  Do you follow?

I cannot see the picture because it is hosted on Photo Bucket which is blocked from my current location. Based on the words in the original post, I took it as that he either had full Ackermann now or not quite enough toe out on turn to be Ackermann. In that case, reducing toe out on turn would increase turning radius even if that allows the outside tire to turn more.

LiveWire

« Reply #242 on: December 16, 2010, 02:05:17 PM »
It would be difficult to make it strong and adjustable.  Plus it would screw with bumpsteer unless you also made the rack spacer adjustable.

If you wanted to play with it, it does not have to be permanently adjustable. Once it will roll, you can lock the wheels and push it in a circle on pavement. Just use the tie rods to adjust the toe out and see what happens. If you find a better setup, you can then look at changing it so you get that amount of toe out with the wheels turned and straight and whatever amount of static toe you want.

Spacing the rack back will increase toe out on turn. Of course you have to adjust the tie rod length for static toe.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #243 on: December 19, 2010, 07:06:11 PM »
That is a great idea of a way to play with the ackerman (adjusting the tie rods).  It has full Ackerman.

My only question on turning is when the rear tires are locked together and it's in the sand.  :)

Well, been doing lots of welding.  The parts that are on it are done.  ;D

Everything worked out pretty well.  The weak link was the operator.  :(

My rollover jig isn't as fancy as Fabrs.

The adjustable heigth jig is pretty handy though.

Before you start painting lines all over it there are a couple tubes missing.  rofl Waiting on Material.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #244 on: December 19, 2010, 07:16:08 PM »
just a thought while your welding, maybe a brace tube for the lateral links would be a good idea. there is more load there than you think.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #245 on: December 19, 2010, 09:06:37 PM »
Looking totally BADD ASS Eng! Love yer design for enclosing over that tube, very stout.

"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #246 on: December 19, 2010, 09:34:58 PM »
Looking totally BADD ASS Eng! Love yer design for enclosing over that tube, very stout.

Thanks!  Can't wait to test it for tough.

just a thought while your welding, maybe a brace tube for the lateral links would be a good idea. there is more load there than you think.

Ok start painting on it!

Actually, The bearing carrier is getting some final machining then I will get some detailed pictures out back.  I actually think that 6 tubes tying into the 1/4" 5-link/bearing carrier housing is enough but tell me your concerns!

I hope to get the motor set in place this week to start thinking about how to tie its mounts in as well.

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #247 on: December 20, 2010, 01:28:36 AM »
Looks good Eng! ;) I gotta ask though how much do ya think it'll weigh? Is that steel that you cut up to make the front shock mounts would that be 6mm? Or is it closer to 4mm?
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #248 on: December 20, 2010, 05:19:24 AM »
Crazy, not even in the dirt yet and it is on its lid?  Don't let it sit too long like that. It might just want to assume that position from habit if you do. 
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #249 on: December 20, 2010, 10:11:16 AM »
Looks good Eng! ;) I gotta ask though how much do ya think it'll weigh? Is that steel that you cut up to make the front shock mounts would that be 6mm? Or is it closer to 4mm?

It will probably weigh around 1500 lbs.  I can still roll it over by hand.  How heavy can it be?  ;D

The bulkhead pieces are 11 gauge so close to 3mm.  Where the shock mount is there are two welded together so it is a little over 6mm total.  plus it is boxed top and bottom.

Crazy, not even in the dirt yet and it is on its lid?  Don't let it sit too long like that. It might just want to assume that position from habit if you do. 

I am training it to do backflips.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 10:13:01 AM by Engineer »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #250 on: December 20, 2010, 12:35:42 PM »

Thanks!  Can't wait to test it for tough.

Ok start painting on it!

Actually, The bearing carrier is getting some final machining then I will get some detailed pictures out back.  I actually think that 6 tubes tying into the 1/4" 5-link/bearing carrier housing is enough but tell me your concerns!

I hope to get the motor set in place this week to start thinking about how to tie its mounts in as well.

I am not referring to the wheel bearing carrier but rather the lateral link mount on the chassis. since your there just add a link tube to back up the pocket.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #251 on: December 22, 2010, 04:17:54 PM »
A small rant.

To the person who "drew" up the Busa and posted the drawing online, thanks for nothing jerkoff.  Are you related to Stevie Wonder?  Seriousely did you use a yardstick to measure it up?  When at first glance my tape measure told me you were drunk I should have listened, but no I thought maybe I wasn't seeing the holes quite right, after all who would go to all the trouble of drawing the motor in 3D if they weren't going to do it right...  So I made parts off your drawing only to find out nothing fits because some crosseyed inbred goat lover must have had his head up his ass while drawing pretty pictures.  My advice, stick to your crayons you half breed poser, if you had ever built anything in real life you would know that the numbers matter to people actually building something.  Next time you draw something don't use google earth to get a picture of it and scale from there, It will make all of our lives a little better.  kick   :l 9:    :slp

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #252 on: December 22, 2010, 04:44:32 PM »
A small rant.

To the person who "drew" up the Busa and posted the drawing online, thanks for nothing jerkoff.  Are you related to Stevie Wonder?  Seriousely did you use a yardstick to measure it up?  When at first glance my tape measure told me you were drunk I should have listened, but no I thought maybe I wasn't seeing the holes quite right, after all who would go to all the trouble of drawing the motor in 3D if they weren't going to do it right...  So I made parts off your drawing only to find out nothing fits because some crosseyed inbred goat lover must have had his head up his ass while drawing pretty pictures.  My advice, stick to your crayons you half breed poser, if you had ever built anything in real life you would know that the numbers matter to people actually building something.  Next time you draw something don't use google earth to get a picture of it and scale from there, It will make all of our lives a little better.  kick   :l 9:    :slp

Dam Eng sorry to here you having all this bull.  Don't suppose you want to share who is causing it. 

Any way here is a link to a possible Busa for cheap.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/Photos-Motorcycle-crashes-at-157mph-112264509.html

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

SPEC

« Reply #253 on: December 22, 2010, 04:57:32 PM »
Should have borrowed one of Fabr's i think he only has 3 or 4 layin around rofl

Offline vidio1

• Fabricator
« Reply #254 on: December 22, 2010, 05:00:48 PM »
Holy cow........He lived through that?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal