Author Topic: Looking at a 1996 Silverado 6.5 turbo diesel  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Looking at a 1996 Silverado 6.5 turbo diesel
« on: January 08, 2016, 08:26:36 PM »
Looking at a 1996 Silverado 6.5 turbo diesel with automatic.

Any one have any time with these and are there any bad things to watch out for with them? Its around 178,000 miles on it but its supposed to be rust free and its got the chassis I need around the motor.  Thanks Bill
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Looking at a 1996 Silverado 6.5 turbo diesel
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 10:16:00 PM »
I'm not sure I remember correctly but aren't they supposed to have had a lot of issues with reliability? My dealership and GM had me take a new one for a month to "test" it in our application. Plenty of power,back then anyway,compared to a 454 GM one ton.  Fine loaded ,by itself. I wouldn't have wanted to pull either of my big trailers with it tho.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 11:20:32 PM »
That's what I am curious about. If they were good or grenades.

Its a crew cab (not extended cab its a true 4 door crew) with duallies and 4x4 and a 8X9 foot flatbed with no rust. Power windows locks and good AC. Goose neck and bumper hitches. If reliable it would serve me well on many things. But I wish to avoid it if its an $$ money pit. 

Also I saw Fabr that you posted a fifth wheel is way better than a goose neck. Care to elaborate on this a minute? Curious as to why as I have never had anything but bumper pull myself.

I know the goose necks and fifth wheels are desired for weight over the axle. But not sure why the fifth wheel would be considered better than a goose.

Just need to find out if its worth owning or if I should keep saving for a duramax?
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 11:38:23 PM »
Been googling this 6.5 on the net and it sounds like its a better engine to stay away from than to have.

Shame cause the truck is about what I need. But I guess I would rather find one with a 454 and just eat the gas bill than deal with the 6.5 diesel issues.

http://cookeville.craigslist.org/cto/5383145957.html

That's it. But not sure I wish to gamble on it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 11:44:15 PM by Nutz4sand »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 06:29:30 AM »
IIRC ,was it not a turbo fail issue mostly?

Only real diff between gooseneck and fifth is the ease of hooking up. So far as towing is concerned,I see very little difference,but when hooking up maybe 3-4 or more times a week it becomes a necessity for me just due to the convenience/ease.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 05:12:47 PM »
bumper hitch up to 28 foot isn't bad but go any longer and imo a fiver or goose is the only way to go. don't get the sway any where near as bad plus the extra room over the deck is very useful. far better weight distribution in the bed of the truck vs behind the bumper. you do lose your box while towing but no to many buy 20' fivers or goose necks lol

fabr is right they did have turbo issues but that could be fixed with a better turbo however if i remember correctly they had a few other issues but can't remember what. as far as a money pit well they can all be lol how ever i don't know if there was too much room to turn them up on hp and tq or not.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 06:12:38 PM »
The turbo failed most often from dirty oil. You need to change it every 3k in those trucks. The factory recommended interval was no good.  Also the computer would just randomly shut them down.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 06:16:27 PM »
duramaxfourm.com I think has a section of the 6.5
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 08:53:24 PM »
Ah well looks like he sold that one.

The blocks were famous for cracking too. In all sorts of places I discovered as I researched it.

Back to looking for me.

If I find another while I like extra power I am most into reliable in the tow vehicles. Not worried about turning up the juice vs getting there and not having it nickel and dime me to death to badly.  (unless I win that 900 million dollar power ball then all bets are off!) 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal