Author Topic: Non plunging 930 rear drive project.  (Read 27210 times)

Offline jersdunz

• Fabricator
Re: Non plunging 930 rear drive project.
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2016, 07:48:25 PM »
You running the spacer between the cv and bearing or against the nut?  I run a 3/8 spacer againts the nut, and a 1/8" between the cv and bearing.  I toasted 3 bearings on drivers side w/o 1/8" washer in there.  Splines bottom out just before the faces snug up.  I'm running the Timken bearing hubs, and empi cv's.  Other brands fit better atleast thats what I'm finding.

I had a spacer in there But I didn't pay close enough attention and it bitt me.
The spacers that I got with the f150 parts from Rick were the correct width and i stuck them between the bearing and the spindle nut.
While putting the old micro stub spacers the skinny one between the 2.. You gotta make sure the splines are covered.

Definitely a noob Move. I already ordered some new hubs from Rick since I loaded them with sand..lol Impatient it was worth it.
 5:

So otherwise I have gotta say any of you on the fence about this setup still running joints .. I think it's worth it.
She's currently the smoothest thing I've driven on the sand with comparable driveling angles..

The gearing seems to be right what I had intended it to be.. Rallying 3rd with a very small jump to 4th.
I hope the trans doesn't disagree with me on that. The oil system on the RPM is Removing heat from the box.
in just a few minutes,  the cooler was getting warm.

I did only rip on it for a few minutes a lot can change with a solid 30 minutes or Proper pace driving but i'm feeling good about it.. Its going to be a good season XXX fingers
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 07:59:22 PM by jersdunz »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2016, 03:39:38 PM »
given the chance i would go back to u joints.....far less mess but centers have to be on the money and aligned end for end on shafts. looks like you got if figured out and will get it fixed. put some time on it and report back. fyi the f150 and 97 cherokee bearings are considerably larger and stronger and yet i still wore my left rear out in 4 years.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline jersdunz

• Fabricator
« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2016, 11:05:20 PM »
The big difference from the hubs i have and the hubs i just received.. back spacing of where the splined are begins

« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:13:21 PM by jersdunz »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2016, 06:08:12 PM »
the 1 on the left has the recess like the 97f150 does. better choice. however 01  or 02 impala have the 5 on 4.75 bp i believe and same spline count slight recess but not deep enough so still require a spacer. the impala bearing is the size of the intrepid ones carl runs as well. the 97 cherokee like enemy uses and i used to are considerably larger od. i have replaced my left rear now right after the st a  trip. i donat think enemy has ever had to replace one of his. the cherokee wb`s use a bastard 27 spline like the oler s 10`s do. kartech sells chromolly stubs for them but a little pricy

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2016, 06:10:04 PM »
97 f150 wb is barely larger than the cherokee. as in 1\32m smaller and same on 3 bolt flange pattern.

Offline jersdunz

• Fabricator
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2016, 09:43:44 PM »
These have been putting up with my short frequent beatings since 2012 and no issues.. until I filled them with sand the other day..
I'll stick with the little ones they're cheap and easy to replace, if needed.

Offline jersdunz

• Fabricator
« Reply #111 on: May 29, 2016, 07:22:27 PM »
Well I made another visit to the dunes this morning.
For some reason I had the thought that I'd never felt the cv's for heat so far.

Both the inner and the outers were scald your finders hot.. I thought these suckers should be running just over warm 140 150 ish.
any thoughts?

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: May 29, 2016, 10:31:00 PM »
Mine are usually pretty warm,can put a hand on them but not want to keep it there. Never really hit them with a temp gun. The ONE that went bad would get very hot though.Ya,burn the fingers hot.Are you positive you put the cage in correctly? I THINK that was the issue with mine that went bad. eyes
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline jersdunz

• Fabricator
« Reply #113 on: May 29, 2016, 10:49:49 PM »
Mine are usually pretty warm,can put a hand on them but not want to keep it there. Never really hit them with a temp gun. The ONE that went bad would get very hot though.Ya,burn the fingers hot.Are you positive you put the cage in correctly? I THINK that was the issue with mine that went bad. eyes

well what has me questioning.. is the outters running about the same temp.
i'm going to pull them apart clean & inspect them and try a different grease.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2016, 05:24:52 AM »
DS and I were hitting them with temp gauge at LS.  Mine were cooler than his a little bit.  Aslong as temp is under the grease rating your ok.  But mid 100's is where mine ran.  I use a moly cv grease from parts store.  Nothing crazy $$$.  I'd also recheck the alignment so ya arn't running with too much slip on splines.  That would generate some heat.  If DS was there he would do cv's for ya, he loves cv grease.  rofl rofl
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #115 on: May 30, 2016, 07:14:40 AM »
the 1 on the left has the recess like the 97f150 does. better choice. however 01  or 02 impala have the 5 on 4.75 bp i believe and same spline count slight recess but not deep enough so still require a spacer. the impala bearing is the size of the intrepid ones carl runs as well. the 97 cherokee like enemy uses and i used to are considerably larger od. i have replaced my left rear now right after the st a  trip. i donat think enemy has ever had to replace one of his. the cherokee wb`s use a bastard 27 spline like the oler s 10`s do. kartech sells chromolly stubs for them but a little pricy

My old green Mantis car has had a set of the cheap S10 27 spline hubs in it since it was built (2006). You all know it was driven hard and put up wet many times at 25 to 30 pounds of boost.  the new owner has been thrashing on them for a couple of years now.   So I can't see paying Kartec all the Hi $$$$$$$$$$$$ they want for there 33 spline hubs.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline jersdunz

• Fabricator
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2016, 06:50:21 AM »
My old green Mantis car has had a set of the cheap S10 27 spline hubs in it since it was built (2006). You all know it was driven hard and put up wet many times at 25 to 30 pounds of boost.  the new owner has been thrashing on them for a couple of years now.   So I can't see paying Kartec all the Hi $$$$$$$$$$$$ they want for there 33 spline hubs.

I agree these are what I have installed. 
stub shaft  -  http://www.rickskraschsite.com/catalog.php?ProdID=GM-874
Bearings( pair )  -  http://www.rickskraschsite.com/catalog.php?ProdID=KDAR-IHK

Offline jersdunz

• Fabricator
« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2016, 06:59:07 AM »
I use a moly cv grease from parts store.
That is what I did. I got mine from Napa, extreme pressure high moly

Nothing crazy $$$.  I'd also recheck the alignment so ya arn't running with too much slip on splines.

I think my new bearing carriers even with the interior gussets have given in to some flex. I'm going to get some new parts cut out of 1/4.

I was trying to be conservative on un sprung weight,
the edge of the cv cup and the edge of the carrier are slightly off of alignment just looking at it by eye.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal