Author Topic: I need a new rear sprocket  (Read 15949 times)

Wildcatfan

I need a new rear sprocket
« on: August 25, 2014, 09:39:25 AM »
The rear sprocket is wore on my busa buggy. I just put a brand new oem clutch kit in a few days ago. The chain was slightly loose, so of course I tightend it. When I wind first gear up to about 5k rpm it cuts out then again around 6k rpm. Just very briefly and quick. Only does it in first gear. I think it might be slipping teeth on the rear sprocket? But I am easing into the throttle.  I can nail it in2,3, 4th etc and doesn't do it at all. I think if it were the teeth it would do it in second gear as well. Any suggestions?

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
Re: I need a new rear sprocket
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 12:43:07 PM »
This the car from Lance?  Post up some pics of the teeth.  But I's say this, if one starts to go(bad wear) it will kill the other.  The sprocket teeth have to mesh on the chain well or they will wear out the chain, if chain get too bad it will wear the teeth on sprockets.  Prob best to replace all as a set.  Lance should have some of the sprockets.  Best O-ring chain you can afford.  Be good to go for another 2-3 yrs.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Wildcatfan

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 01:30:22 PM »
Yea, I will carlriddle when I get back home. I first thought it was the clutch so I replaced it all with new springs. Its a nice buggy so im not complaining at all  ;D. Where can I get the rear sprocket for it? Front sprocket looks great btw. Chain will only move about a half to 3/4 of an inch after tightening. I know doug makes them, I havent heard from him though.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 01:49:08 PM »
Send doug an email, you'll find it under his info.  I thought Lance pu some from Doug, depend on size you need.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 02:27:16 PM »
I don't have any of that size.  I have others but that won't help you any.  I'll talk to Doug.  Worst case he'll have to get some made and that usually takes 2-3 weeks.

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 02:51:53 PM »
Keep in mind changing that rear sprocket is ALOT of work.

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 02:55:21 PM »
Sprockets have to be ordered (new laser run)  :(   Be a few weeks at least...........

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 02:59:55 PM »
So it still clunks even after you tightened the chain?  If it's as tight as you say I can't see it being the chain.  Wonder if one of the CV joints has an issue?  Like a cracked cage or something and once it gets moving it runs ok.  Weird. 

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 08:40:01 PM »
not always but usually when a cv goes out they just break but if it was as you think lance i would think it would be making a lot of noise clicking or snapping. 

wildcatfan   when you say cuts out , do you mean the motor cuts out like a rev limiter or kill switch? or it just rev up to  rev limit like around 10 or 11k rpm like the clutch is pushed in?

lance    where is the rev limit set on that motor? 10600 factory?
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 08:41:15 PM »
Factory rev limiter

not always but usually when a cv goes out they just break but if it was as you think lance i would think it would be making a lot of noise clicking or snapping. 

wildcatfan   when you say cuts out , do you mean the motor cuts out like a rev limiter or kill switch? or it just rev up to  rev limit like around 10 or 11k rpm like the clutch is pushed in?

lance    where is the rev limit set on that motor? 10600 factory?

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 08:53:16 PM »
my 2001 busa factory is 10600 but now 11200 thanks to enemy  ;D
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Wildcatfan

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 09:20:55 PM »
Its like a slip and pop. It will quit pulling  to jump  and then pull a sec then do it again until you shift to second gear. It does it so fast makes you think of a rev limiter or stops fire for a split sec.Its like it cuts out, but it dosent miss a beat. I think it just quits pulling for a fraction of a sec then a pop and pulls again. Then it may continue to pull another 1k or so rpm and do it again. I thought it was the clutch combined with slack in the chain making the noise when it began to pull again. I replaced the whole clutch and tightend the chain. It goes right in first gear with no noise at all just when you wind up to about 5k it starts. Its probably something simple I haven't figured out yet, im gonna check the tensioner sprocket a little better again and make sure the clutch isn't sticking. Again lance I love the buggy. Got alot of brags on your craftsmanship.

But that rear sprocket is wore pretty good, still could be that. It does look like a job to change...lol I had already message doug a few days ago and never heard from him so i thought someone may have had one for sale that would fit the cuda.

Wildcatfan

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 10:22:15 PM »
I have never rev'd it that high to reach the limiter. Prob close to 9k in second then shift to 3rd. I never like to free rev a engine really hard. I have never dumped the clutch either theirs no need to.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 10:38:02 PM by Wildcatfan »

Wildcatfan

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 10:44:26 PM »
Sprockets have to be ordered (new laser run)  :(   Be a few weeks at least...........

Thanks lance, have him message me. And ill send him some money and my mailing address.
I dont mind waiting, been wanting one for years  :D (savin it!!)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 10:47:58 PM by Wildcatfan »

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 06:24:17 AM »
From that description it almost sounds like it fuel or spark related and not something mechanical in the driveline.  What's weird is if it was fuel or spark you'd think it would do it in all the gears.  Try accelerating slowly to 5-6k in first gear and see if maybe you can control when it happens?  Maybe it's something bizarre like at that specific resonance it vibrates just right and loses a ground?  I mean the wiring harness has always been rock solid but we all know how things crop up on these buggies.  It's not like they're pampered :)  I can't see it starving for fuel or it would do it in other places other than 5-6k in first gear.

Its like a slip and pop. It will quit pulling  to jump  and then pull a sec then do it again until you shift to second gear. It does it so fast makes you think of a rev limiter or stops fire for a split sec.Its like it cuts out, but it dosent miss a beat. I think it just quits pulling for a fraction of a sec then a pop and pulls again. Then it may continue to pull another 1k or so rpm and do it again. I thought it was the clutch combined with slack in the chain making the noise when it began to pull again. I replaced the whole clutch and tightend the chain. It goes right in first gear with no noise at all just when you wind up to about 5k it starts. Its probably something simple I haven't figured out yet, im gonna check the tensioner sprocket a little better again and make sure the clutch isn't sticking. Again lance I love the buggy. Got alot of brags on your craftsmanship.

But that rear sprocket is wore pretty good, still could be that. It does look like a job to change...lol I had already message doug a few days ago and never heard from him so i thought someone may have had one for sale that would fit the cuda.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal