Author Topic: Rear chain drive carrier options?  (Read 3792 times)

lockedup

Rear chain drive carrier options?
« on: November 28, 2011, 08:48:27 PM »
Well my new venture is building a 2 seat Busa car.  Right now i am currently adding up all the costs to see if it would be worth building one or saving to buy one. I am wanting a small 2 seat Busa car about the same size and specs as a KSC. I have all the shocks, seats and steering components but the part im having a hard time finding is the rear drive components, like the rear carrier, rear hubs that dont cost an arm and a leg. If it turns out to be cheaper to build a car I dont have a problem spending the money for the high end components but if i dont have to then i woluld rather not. So what options are out there that are a little cheaper than $1300 for rear micro stubs and $900 for a incomplete rear carrierl?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Rear chain drive carrier options?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 05:53:26 AM »
Options? Build your own.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

lockedup

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 07:24:54 AM »
Options? Build your own.

I would like to do that but i dont know where to start, is there any writeups or anything?

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 07:57:23 AM »

I would like to do that but i dont know where to start, is there any writeups or anything?

Lockedup

PM Carl I bet he could tell how.  I think he did most of his own.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 10:33:29 AM »
WOW thanks Fast, really appreciate that.  Its simple and does well on my buggy, but I'm not sure its up to a busa.  Maybe??

LMAO LMAO LMAO rofl Crap you meant the other Carl  rofl LMAO LMAO LMAO
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 10:43:17 AM »
you might want to change a few things on those ksc specs and save yourself a lot of headaches!  the rear spool isn't that hard or just buy one. gear one offers one around $600 or so. ksc or sinister or any other mc builder would too.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 12:41:47 PM »
WOW thanks Fast, really appreciate that.  Its simple and does well on my buggy, but I'm not sure its up to a busa.  Maybe??

Crap you meant the other Carl     

Hay I seen that thing of yours taking 17000 RPM.  Ot to take a busa. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

lockedup

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 03:06:04 PM »
you might want to change a few things on those ksc specs and save yourself a lot of headaches!  the rear spool isn't that hard or just buy one. gear one offers one around $600 or so. ksc or sinister or any other mc builder would too.

I've looked at the one gear one offers and they ask $895 and that's without a sprocket.  I have emailed ksc to see what they offer.  Is there any write ups on how to build one?  Also what is a cheaper route for micro stubs?

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 04:59:05 PM »
You got any plans your building from? 

The one Protodie makes/sells is nice for about $550, no sprockets.

Using the splined shalf that G & G makes and the drive flanges for 930 can get you cheap.  Surplus center sells the shaft cheap (except their shipping is high), you'll need to have the center bearing section machined to accept some GOOD bearings for the shaft to spin on. 

Depending on what type of rear arms your wanting, front intrepid wheel bearing, front s-10 4x4 wheel bearings have same spling ## as some 930 stubs, also f150 4x4 front stuff some years will accept 930 axles.

You got some reading to do, search on hear, Engineer build has some good stuff.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

lockedup

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 06:34:18 PM »
I like the protodie setup and the price seems right, i have a couple questions though

1. Were do i get a sprocket for it?
2. What do you do to keep the chain tight without the carrier being adjustable?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal