Author Topic: Gear ratio help....  (Read 10496 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Gear ratio help....
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2009, 06:42:24 AM »
I say 31 because he can always run the honda in 4th if the gear is too steep in 5th. Won't limit the top speed much.Remember that the bike engine will not likely hit redline rpm in 5th gear nor would you want to run it there for long stretches..
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

boltz2012

« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2009, 07:02:33 AM »
Thanks a bunch fabr. Im thinking..Im thinking..Im thinking...Fook it im flippin a coin. Heads 31 and tails 33. In the air she goes. Heads it is. 31. Actually im gonna go with what you suggested fabr because although bug said 2.1 you gave me a logical mathmatical solution. Not only that but like you said that will put me in the 4th gear at top speed and if its not enough i can slip it into 5th. But i still have the lower gears to play in.

Let me ask you this Fabr. Seeing the numbers and now knowing the gear ratio's how was arrow head getting away with running a 16 front and an 18 rear with 1300 paddles? He was shifting the honda trany while in motion huh? Either that or he didnt have very much torque and was killing the bike trannies clutch. What do you think?

Admin

« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2009, 07:05:17 AM »
Hard to compare the busa to the 600, Big big difference in torque etc, But hes still blowing smoke up a lot of assholes... ;D

SPEC

« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2009, 07:52:18 AM »
 :r

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2009, 11:08:08 AM »
Thanks a bunch fabr. Im thinking..Im thinking..Im thinking...Fook it im flippin a coin. Heads 31 and tails 33. In the air she goes. Heads it is. 31. Actually im gonna go with what you suggested fabr because although bug said 2.1 you gave me a logical mathmatical solution. Not only that but like you said that will put me in the 4th gear at top speed and if its not enough i can slip it into 5th. But i still have the lower gears to play in.

Let me ask you this Fabr. Seeing the numbers and now knowing the gear ratio's how was arrow head getting away with running a 16 front and an 18 rear with 1300 paddles? He was shifting the honda trany while in motion huh? Either that or he didnt have very much torque and was killing the bike trannies clutch. What do you think?
I think he was running the honda in a lower gear and using the bike tranny as the primary tranny.The bike tranny is easier/quicker to shift on the fly.. I don't know if running the secondary tranny in lower gears a lot is a good idea or not but it is not how I'd do it. It's too bad that AH got an attitude with me at MBN before we got any real answers.All I was doing was asking for info such as this and asking for his evidence of how well it worked and such.I have always found that those that get mad when pinned down are the ones that are BS'ing me. You know,stuff like "The chain has given me NO trouble and I DRIVE IT HARD TOO!". Well,know what? Next thing you know AH is putting a fan on the chain. I never said the honda tranny would not work even once but AH went on the warpath and it led to me getting banned and spawning this site.Best thing that ever happened. Soooo,I guess I owe Arrow(fook)head a big ol' THANK YOU!!!!. :m bb:
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2009, 11:08:54 AM »
That was my mini-rant of the day. dd: dd: :t :t ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

boltz2012

« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2009, 11:30:42 AM »
Arrow(fook)head

Thats classic.. ;D ;D ;D Yeah he got tude with me too and hell i was just wanting to know the specifics of it. I was already planning on doing it then he showed up with it done. I was like "Man this fooker done walked in and stole my shiny idea and is gonna get credit for it, Fookin Fooker!" I thought i was gonna get to have you guys marvel at my ingenius idea till he came along. Then i started asking questions and never got a direct answer. And so did everyone else. Everyone was on fire about it and wanted to know how he did it yet he wouldnt tell anyone. My idea was to keep it a secret till i proved it worked without any bugs and then broadcast it to all with an in depth how to. I only wanted to keep it a secret cuz i didnt want to eat crow iffen it didnt work out to good. Kinda save face. But seeing as how he never proved it to none of us here...guess what? I still get my time to shine so fook you AFH!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think you are right about running the honda tranny as a secondary and have thought that all along. it will take some getting used to the shifting and figuring out what needs to be where for optimal performance. But im with you on your way of thinking. I sent Doug a pm and told him to go ahead and make the setup with a 31 tooth sprocket. If worse case scenerio it dont work i still have room to go larger or i can go smaller. So i think we will be ok. I am thinking his buggy ran and i dont doubt that at all. I just dont think it had alot of low end power. Even Gene who said he seen it told that he actually didnt see it run because it had some problems. So no proof there either. I intend on makeing it work and everone can see it with thier own eyes at LS. Ill post videos of it to. Im gonna document the install of the tranny and the parts Doug puts together for me along with the motor install then post up a build log of it all. After i test it out ofcourse. All works well and Doug might become a very busy dude with everyone that is buzzing about the honda tranny. If a build another buggy in the future i will build it with the honda motor attatched to the tranny and make the back of the buggy wide enough to accept it. Ill put the hubs on A-arms instead of trailing arms and that will open up the engine bay a bunch. I have a tone of performance parts for honda motors here at the house and i think i would build a turbo'd honda motor for a buggy. I think it would be sweet. But first things first i want to finish this for the boy to play on then i will build myself one to out run him. ;D you know the ole mans always gotta have a fster car than the boy.  ;D ;D

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2009, 07:49:46 PM »
I got you a 32 tooth today. Im bringing it to work tomorrow and Im going to see if we can cut some cool $hit into it.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2009, 07:51:28 PM »
Doug said " cool $hit" ;D ;D :o :o  Cant wait.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

boltz2012

« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2009, 07:56:52 PM »
Right im super amped to be getting Official Doug Heim Parts....YIPEEEEEEEE jj: jj: jj: jj:

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2009, 09:18:42 PM »
will put me in the 4th gear at top speed and if its not enough i can slip it into 5th. But i still have the lower gears to play in.

I think there's an echo in here.....
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2009, 10:10:33 PM »
COOL $HIT!!!!  ;D ;D

look what I can have done to a blank sprocket!

Its on both sides. I was suprised how light it ended up! I really should have taken a before shot. I didnt bring my camera with me. oops!

I promised I would take care of you right? Hubs tomorrow!

boltz2012

« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2009, 10:16:36 PM »
That is so fooking bitchin man. Just what we talked about bro. I love it. I only hope my work is good enough to fly the DTS badge all the time. Im sure you guys will be happy. Its way better than i imagined Doug. You are truely an artist.

artie on edge

« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2009, 10:23:04 PM »
COOL $HIT!!!!  ;D ;D

look what I can have done to a blank sprocket!

Its on both sides. I was suprised how light it ended up! I really should have taken a before shot. I didnt bring my camera with me. oops!

I promised I would take care of you right? Hubs tomorrow!

Alright Douggy baby, ifn I give you all the relevant details you can give me a price and shipping for one of these ... I LIKE THIS.....

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2009, 10:31:21 PM »
same size?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal