Author Topic: Dealing on some equipment  (Read 12715 times)

Offline Boostinjdm

Re: Dealing on some equipment
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2011, 02:48:44 AM »
So school me on collets.  The bore taper is fooked on the lathe.  So I'm going to have to make or buy a collet chuck.  Something common would be nice.  Should I go with something like an ER40 for it's wider clamping range and so I can use the same set of collets in the mill?  Or should I go with a 5C setup because it will hold a larger dia and fit my spin indexer?  Maybe adapt the spin indexer to ER40 and use the same collets in all three? I do like the larger capacity of the 5C, but they won't work in the mill and you have to buy more of them to hold odd ball diameters.  I just don't want three different types of collets floating around.  Simple is good.  I currently only have one 5C collet and maybe 8 R8 collets.  If I went with the ER40 then I could ditch the R8s.  I don't have sizes to match all my end mills anyway.

Any other options?  Am I missing something?  I don't care about which is faster.  Not doing production work here.  No CNC equipment to worry about either. 
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline BDKW1

Re: Dealing on some equipment
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2011, 01:15:54 PM »
5C in some standard sizes and a safety collet for the oddball sizes. The large collets are very handy and you can get hex ones. You don't need to go buy a boat load right now, but you can build up your collection as you need them.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal