Author Topic: Dealing on some equipment  (Read 12713 times)

Offline Boostinjdm

Re: Dealing on some equipment
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2011, 07:37:10 PM »
The PhasePerfect units are unfortunately the most expensive option.

Yeah tell me about it.  I looked them up.  Can I borrow your checkbook?

Got the stuff home today.  As soon as I figure out where to start cleaning and get them clean, I'll post pics.  I found rigging instructions in the manual to get the lathe off the pallet, but where in the hell to I lift the mill?  When we got the the Bridgeport at work, we lifted it by the head.  Well, not the head, but real close to the column and trammed the head out to balance it.  I'm not sure I like doing that to my stuff.  Is there a better way?
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2011, 08:34:55 PM »
Flip the head like was mentioned,one fork on either side of the column,from the side, under the ram dovetail.I put 2x4 blocks on the forks to protect the dovetail,one on the front and two on the back,the front will flex more because of the added weight of the head, causing more room on the back.I think this is the safest way personally,the weight is low and you pick it up high.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2011, 11:19:42 PM »
Found it.  Manual said to sling the dovetail ahead and behind the column.  Should have looked there first I guess.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2011, 01:52:53 AM »
Just downloaded the manual for the DRO on the mill. This thing is fooken awsome!  Figures round bolt patterns and everything.  That seems way to easy to me.  Maybe I'm a little behind on modern equipment capabilities.  Never got to use a good (read not cobbled together home made) boring bar either.  Now I've got five of 'em. ;D  No vise for the mill though. bs1

The cleaning is going kinda slow.  These things will never look new again, but should work just fine.  Adjusting and getting familiar with things as I go.  I think I need to set up a 3 ring binder with laminated manuals for reference.  Maybe two of them.  One to use and one for a backup.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 01:54:43 AM by Boostinjdm »

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2011, 08:29:21 AM »
Yeah tell me about it.  I looked them up.  Can I borrow your checkbook?

Got the stuff home today.  As soon as I figure out where to start cleaning and get them clean, I'll post pics.  I found rigging instructions in the manual to get the lathe off the pallet, but where in the hell to I lift the mill?  When we got the the Bridgeport at work, we lifted it by the head.  Well, not the head, but real close to the column and trammed the head out to balance it.  I'm not sure I like doing that to my stuff.  Is there a better way?
Only reason I spent the coin was due to the near perfect leg to leg voltages. On all the cnc sites I was frequenting most electronics issues are caused by too much leg to leg variances. The PP units are +- 1% compared to around +-5% for rotaries. 
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2011, 10:59:37 AM »
Speaking of leg variances, the rotaries we have at the one shop put out around 120 from 2 of the legs to ground and the third is up around 245. Going leg to leg all have the same reading though. I hate those fricking things and can't wait till we move to a building with real power like the other shop.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2011, 11:04:13 AM »
Speaking of leg variances, the rotaries we have at the one shop put out around 120 from 2 of the legs to ground and the third is up around 245. Going leg to leg all have the same reading though. I hate those fricking things and can't wait till we move to a building with real power like the other shop.
That can be a real issue . I know I spent twice plus to get the PP unit but I feel it's a good investment since I can run true balanced 3 phase with it and I can run motors at full HP without oversizing the converter. 
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2011, 11:05:03 AM »
BTW,the PP units consume a lot less energy also.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2011, 05:41:11 PM »
Talked to Jay at American Rotary today.  He's pretty much got me talked into the 7.5hp digitally controlled converter with soft start.  He says it should run off my 30 amp circuit and will have enough oomph to run my equipment.  $700 shipped. He says they are quiet enough to sit on and talk on the phone (I'm not sure about that).  What do ya think?  Jump on it?

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2011, 05:58:53 PM »
Only reason I spent the coin was due to the near perfect leg to leg voltages. On all the cnc sites I was frequenting most electronics issues are caused by too much leg to leg variances. The PP units are +- 1% compared to around +-5% for rotaries. 

For your equipment, I would have spent the money too.  You're in a whole nother budget ballpark though. 

Jay says the RPC has to be so much bigger for the inrush, but when running should be drawing anywhere from 15-25 amps.  Website says at idle it will only cost 2 cent's an hour to leave running.  That was figured at a higher rate than what I pay.  I can live with that.

Now if I could just get these things positioned...... First place I set the mill took up too much space.  I think that thing is going in the corner.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2011, 11:04:12 PM »
For your equipment, I would have spent the money too.  You're in a whole nother budget ballpark though. 

Jay says the RPC has to be so much bigger for the inrush, but when running should be drawing anywhere from 15-25 amps.  Website says at idle it will only cost 2 cent's an hour to leave running.  That was figured at a higher rate than what I pay.  I can live with that.

Now if I could just get these things positioned...... First place I set the mill took up too much space.  I think that thing is going in the corner.
yupDon't put it tooo deep in the corner. You want to be able to fixture a part that might overhang the table a few feet even . I have my bridgeport about 30 inches from the corner to the rear of the machine base. Still a bit too close at times.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2011, 11:12:25 PM »
GOOD ADVISE!!!

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2011, 11:28:26 PM »
Forklift ran out of fuel so I had to rig up a grill tank.  Mill is set deep in the corner because of where my doorway is.  Stuff can hang off the table and through the doorway.  Like if I need a keyway on a long shaft.  Choices were limited due to cracks in the floor and overall usability of the space.  I think I've got it figured out for now.  The mill is on the floor, but not leveled or bolted down so things can be changed.

I haven't cleaned the mill yet, but I'll go take a pic.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
Here's pics.  Lathe will be roughly between the barrel and the heater.  Workbench under the window.  The heater will be comming out because one half died and I will use that circuit to run the RPC.  I know the mud needs finished.  Been like that since shortly after I moved in.  Someday I'll get to it. drowning

I had more pics, but I can't seem to center shit in the frame with this camera. Prolly operator error....

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2011, 02:58:13 AM »
Lathe took up more space than I thought.  Bench won't fit under the window so I may cheat the lathe over about 3ft and put the cabinet in the corner.  I got the lathe clean enough to use, but may polish 'er up a little more.  Coolant makes a hell of a mess.  I just leveled the lathe with a decent torpedo level.  I will have to buy or borrow a machinest level for the final setup.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal