Author Topic: Shop pedestal idea...  (Read 7724 times)

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
Re: Shop pedestal idea...
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2009, 12:43:56 PM »
nice welding cart. what are the dimensions on it, if you don't mind me asking?
The bottom trey is 11.5" X 30", the top trey sits 14.5" above the bottom and is 11" X 20".

Yeah, I wish I would have put the casters back a bit. I'm using a little 55lb bottle so I don't think it would flip, but I would probably remove it if I remove the welder to be on the safe side. If I eventually go with a heavier bottle then I may flip the rear castors around to position them further back or get rid of them and mount bigger wheels further back. Thanks for the feedback.

If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

http://sandjunky710.blogspot.com/

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2009, 02:22:18 PM »
What size wire you runing in it? looks good. 8) Might make one for my plasma cutter. Thanks for the idea.

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2009, 03:06:45 PM »
The chart inside the welder says .35 is best with gas for the thickness I plan on welding. Others may think differently, but since I have no experience welding I am just going by manufacturer's recommendations.
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2009, 04:14:03 PM »
The chart inside the welder says .35 is best with gas for the thickness I plan on welding. Others may think differently, but since I have no experience welding I am just going by manufacturer's recommendations.
That is the size I run in the Hobart 250 when welding DOM. Have you done some test welds yet? I usualy take a scrap piece and run a couple beads to fine tune the welder before I weld. Is that unit a 120amp or 140?

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2009, 05:59:16 PM »
Its the HH 140, which has a range from 25 - 140A. I haven't had a chance to weld with it yet since I converted it to MIG, but I will be building another cart for a friend this weekend. He traded me the casters for a welding cart so now I have enough casters to build a rolling frame table for my cuda build.

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2009, 12:36:43 AM »
Made some progress on the pedestal. Picked up a 12' stick of 1.75" Square. All they had was 14g but I think it will do just fine. Got my 2"x3" cut to 36" long (had enough to build two so I will have one mounted permanently next to my workbench), cut the 1.75" to 42". The 1.75" fit perfectly into the 2x3" square. Drilled 3/4" holes in the pedestal for the rosette welds. I just need to drill my 12"x12"x.25" floor plates for mounting bolt holes (really wish I had a drill press!) and then I can weld the upright to it. I was looking at the concrete anchors and they have 1450lb rating each. I plan on using four so I can't imagine them not being enough to hold up to the torque applied during a bend. Should be able to finish this on Friday. Working more OT this week so time is tight.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2009, 08:56:18 AM »
Don't want to rain on your parade but IMO 14 ga is not nearly substantial enough. There is a LOT of torque involved when you are tugging on the end of the 4 foot or so lever of the bender. If it were me I'd back up,regroup, and get  some 1/4" wall unless you are building a hydraulic powered bender.  Even if so,when using the pedestal for the vise it will be pretty shaky. The anchors sound like they are just 1/4" bolt size? If so I would also suggest minimum of 3/8" if not a full 1/2".
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SPEC

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2009, 10:57:06 AM »
I'm with Fabr on this one...
14 GA. will stretch and deform under that much load over that distance :-[

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2009, 11:28:45 AM »
Well IT IS a TUBE BENDER!!!!!!!!!!!!! ahhh hah hah ha har de har har!  :P

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2009, 12:26:47 PM »
Heheheheee, wrong tube! LOL!!!!! heheheheeee
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2009, 12:35:08 PM »
Guys, the 14g is reinforced by the 2"x3" square tubing from the floor all the way up to 36". It will be only be stand alone for 6" and then capped on the top to box it in for strength. Also, the 2"x3" will have tabs welded on with the cinch bolts in place. I'll post pics before I weld everything together. The anchors are for 5/16".

SPEC

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2009, 02:43:13 PM »
 ff:

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2009, 04:19:20 PM »
You can see the three rosette welds (plus three on the backside). The only place the inner square can bend is at the top of the 2"x3" which will have the cinch bolts plus .25" plate welded to the sides. I'm thinking it is going to be pretty strong.

The top of the inner square will be capped for strength. If I need to then I can weld in some plates to cap around the inner square as well.

When the cap with attachment slides over the base and the cinch bolts clamp it down the torque is going to be distributed across several contact points and will not be concentrated on the 1.75" square tubing. The inner square is going to act more as a guide to square everything up when attached and to strengthen the base during the bend.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2009, 05:11:42 PM »
We're watching.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2009, 07:15:39 PM »
Hitch receiver stock=Done.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal