Author Topic: What the %&$* is up with JD2?  (Read 4489 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: What the %&$* is up with JD2?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 08:35:25 PM »
Even a mean sloped drive can be compensated for with the right adjusting feet.

The bender requires bolts to stick up from the floor and or sunken anchors to screw bolts into.

As for the middle of a two car garage.... Gonna be TIGHT. Even a 2.5 nmight be tight. You will likely need to favor one side so that the tube being bent has somewhere to go.

The handle has to stick out one side over four plus feet (unless you go Hydraulic) and the other side will need enough room for whatever length you decide to bend.

Being you need the other tools mounted yah might consider just making a moveable bench with it all on it lol.

You gotta have more room on the feed side.More length anyway. If it were me I'd  cut a hole it the driveway ,use anchor cement to bury a hitch receiver in the driveway and put a square tube on the end of the pedestal and insert it into the receiver  . At the end of the day,remove bender,put receiver plug in it to keep shit out and you got all the room you need AND an unobstructed driveway.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 08:40:42 PM »
Yah I assumed a person would feed the long tube in the garage door from the driveway. Once again its practically outside anyways. Just make it portable and do it all there! lol
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 08:49:01 PM »
I think he was hinting that his drive is at a steep slope. The one on rollers might not work too well for him.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 09:17:03 PM »
I think he was hinting that his drive is at a steep slope. The one on rollers might not work too well for him.

Yah he was. But if a car can manage to drive up it the angle cannot be tooooooooooo bad and I would think a person whos gonna build a buggy can at least make reallly long threaded adjustable feet.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 10:02:03 PM »
 LMAO I said I'm going to try to build a buggy! It might be good at one thing when I'm done... doughnuts!

I figure I would mount it in in the middle of the floor with the feed side coming in from the driveway. I would have roughly 8 feet on either side to work with. The cuda's longest bar is the hip frame, which is 13.5 ft. total. I really don't see it being that big of a hassle to deal with. I don't have the space to work with to build rolling tables. I have a functional garage that we park one vehicle in and the buggy will need a home as well. So use and stow pedestal mounted tools is the most viable option I have.
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

http://sandjunky710.blogspot.com/

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 08:59:04 AM »
This is interesting. So, I called and ordered a pro tools 105 today and asked for a 3.5/180 die for 1.25" tubing. He said they don't offer that one, but he would get his eng. to do it anyway. After I place the order they call back and he says he cannot have the die made because his eng says it isn't possible to make bends that tight for 1.25" with any reliabilty. Now I have another delimma. Do I go with JD2 since they do offer the right die? The upside is they have better prices, the downside is they have terrible customer service (still plan on speaking to a manager about that when I call back).

On another note. How much trouble will I run into if I use a 4" CLR instead of the 3.5" that the plans call for? I am really trying to avoid altering the plans since this is my first build and I don't want to complicate things. Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 09:16:45 AM by komelika »
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 10:08:59 AM »
They(PT) feel that 3.5" dies will have too great a possibility of crushing,kinking,breaking your tube for them to stand behind it. JD2 on the other hand either feel differently OR don't care. From your PR experience with them -you be the judge who to trust. The look will be nearly identical and if you post up the original plans for a component needing bent I'm betting there's several here willing to recalc your bend start points for you if you buy the 4" PT unit..
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2009, 11:38:54 AM »
This is what I'mgoing with next.  Bends vertical, is mobile and no leaning down.  Used Pro-tool 105 dies, air hydraulic or manual. 

http://www.probender.com/products.asp?cat=15
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2009, 11:40:29 AM »
Komelika I KNOW you are trying to do this and learn along the way and this maybe an idea you can learn AND save some loot towards the rest of the build.

Call around to the local race car building shops. See if they have the die you seek and would bend the tubes for you. Some shops may even let you watch or even help if Insurance is not an issue.

The cost would be a bargain likely. If you reallly like this kind of thing after doing it this way you can then see about a personal bender for yourself when time/funds permit.

Then you could learn a good bit AND get your tubes done. You will likely be able to talk to them and have the tubes all figured out for the bends and CLEARLY marked (This is where you will learn a LOT!) then have them tweak the tubes to the right angles.

Just an idea.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2009, 11:47:09 AM »
This is what I'mgoing with next.  Bends vertical, is mobile and no leaning down.  Used Pro-tool 105 dies, air hydraulic or manual. 

http://www.probender.com/products.asp?cat=15

To much like the Got trikes bender for him! lol

You can get the same bender right from Protools too so shop around first. I beleive they (protools) started to make it due to the popularity of the Got Trikes design.

http://www.pro-tools.com/

KArnold22

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 06:56:17 AM »
First of, I would like to thank everyone of you for your interest in JDSquared products. My name is Kaleb, and I am the foreman of JDSquared and now taking over the customer care and service department. I understand that JD2 has been on a big back order of over a month and a half due to a severe busy season we did not expect with the introduction of the model 32 coming out at the beginning of last year. I have brung the back order down to 2 weeks and will be bringing that down to a 2-3 day order time frame very soon. Now I am trying to figure out the problems customers are having aside from the back order which is being worked on. I am interested in the views and opinions with every single customer. Attached is my personal email that anyone can reach me anytime. Or you can email to sales@jd2.com. Whichever is more convenient for you. I want to approach every issue head on to see what can be resolved. Thank you for your time and good luck with your work.

Kaleb Arnold

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 07:51:42 AM »
There ya go! a company that realizes it has had some issues and is working on correcting them. Good to see!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 11:11:49 AM »
Yah I sent a note to them (You can see it below) and this is what I got back (Kinda to my surpise but a good one)

William,
    I have logged in to that account and posted publicly to find all issues
with JDSquared. I have taken over the Customer Service and chagning a lot of
things around here. I have made massive results happen quickly and bringing
more people in to expand. Email me back if you have any other concerns or
and ideas for me. Thanks for the heads up William.
            Kaleb
----- Original Message -----
To: <sales@jd2.com>
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2009 8:31 PM
Subject: PDshopNet Contact Us Form

> JD Squared:
> Email Address: - nutz4sand@aol.com
> Name: - William
> Phone: - 231-742-2273
> Comments: - http://dtsfab.com/index/index.php?topic=2371.new#new
>
> Looks like people skills and promptness of orders needs looking at. Its
> not my dime but hopefully this will fall to the RIGHT person.
>

The bottom part is what I sent and the top part is what I got. Its just a cut and pasted email. So it looks sorta backwards. Good to see him posted here and hopefulley a situation like Komelika had will be a thing of the past. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 11:16:10 AM by Nutz4sand »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 04:56:02 PM »
Good to see someone giving JD2 a heads up.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2009, 08:16:00 AM »
Kaleb, I appreciate what you are trying to do and I hope you have success. Customer service, in my opinion, is as important as quality when it comes to running a company. Unfortunately, I think CS is practically an afterthought in this country anymore. When a company's culture starts to move away from CS it can be a difficult thing to turn around. I was about to spend nearly $800, which may not be much in JD2's point of view. To me, especially with Christmas coming up, it is a lot! Pro-tools' customer service was top notch and I would have spent more for their product if they offered the die that I needed. Your guy could care less that he was losing me as a customer, while PT called me back three times to try to fit my needs. Good luck with JD2.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal