Author Topic: Twin cooling fans............wiring?  (Read 12969 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Twin cooling fans............wiring?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 06:41:20 AM »
Heat takes time. Thats rule number one. Its why you need a thermostat in 97% of the systems to slow the coolant down in the radiator to bleed the heat out of it. (Unless the radiator is far to large)  So one fan running at full power may move more air thru that part but air moving thru the whole radiator will sap out the heat.  Some systems like the Yamaha Banshee are not built with a thermostat but the idea is the harder you run the motor the faster you are going and more air thru the radiator. They also run hot (tend too) and will usually overheat if left to idle for a bit. Its a balance. But in a bigger better system its more controlled for a desired resiult. 

But for your electrical problem pop an amp meter in the line see what they are taking (might have to test each one individually depending on your meter). You might get away with a power increase in the charging system but you may also find two fans that use less juice are what might help you to. Have to figure the cost for each mod (better charging system VS less current fans) and see which is more cost effective and easier for you to implement.

Pop a pic of your fan setup up. Just cause. Just cause we like pics! 
Ditto.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

robndeb

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 06:54:29 PM »
Just got back from Glamis, car ran warm the whole weekend. On slower rides, it ran between 200 and 210 degrees, on quicker rides, it ran between 190 and 200. Maybe a bit of a lean setting at lower rpm's? Anyway, I am looking for a new fan/shroud combo. I was thinking of one larger fan instead of two smaller ones.

Both fans sound kinda sick, like they've ingested too much sand or something.  Also, these fans are pushers not pullers. Does it make that much of a difference?  The radiator is kinda close to the header for me to put the fans on the backside.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 07:00:46 PM by Robndeb »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 07:01:28 PM »
Nothing wrong with 200-210.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 08:15:51 PM »
First I will agree 210 aint that hot. Pretty safe at that. Second I will ask is there a gap between the metal plate the fan are bolted to and the radiator? It kinda looks like there might be. If so then it will drag a lot of air in through there. (Or in your case of pushers blow it out.)

On the plus side pancake fans are usually for areas where its to tight. It looks like you can go with non panckae motors with ease. That might save you a lil bit.

Pullers pull more air than pushers push. Best to have pullers if you can. Some fans can be gotten with specail blades to be a pusher. VS just wiring them backwards when they are meant to be a puller.

Also nice pics. Good close ups. Can you snap a couple a little farther away so that we can see how the air flows into and aways from the radiator. Looking for the entire "airpath" if you will.     
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
Also a simple heat shield between the radiator and header might help a lil.

But what might be better for the heat and performance (They say) would be to get header wrap tape and wrap the headers. This will keep the heat in the headers and make that area cooler anyways. The wrap would be easier and quicker too. Might make some power benefits??

Add on note. I do realize of course these are set up as pushers and pushing the air towards the header. But eliminating any heat near it might help. Still need to see how the air gets to and from the radiator.   
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 08:39:21 PM by Nutz4sand »
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 08:40:15 PM »
WHy do anything.It's fine as is. ;D ;) ;) 8)
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 08:47:13 PM »
Well sure if you wanna go off facts......  :P

Yah thats true unless his motors are grinding like he said. If they are going bad it might be also why hes using a bit of current in them.

Check the current they use now and see about fans that use less when new. Pancake or regualr style motor IF these are going bad. 

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 08:52:06 PM »
+1 on the header wrap.  You also need to rethink that "shroud".  you are blocking off a good portion of the radiator with that plate the fans are mounted to.  You are also forcing those fans to blow through an area the size of thier diameter that is obstructed by fins and tubes.  That is going to make them draw more amps.  I would space that whole plate out about 1.5" to 2" and make a lip to go around it.  That will better utilize the whole surface of the radiator and allow the fans to work better and draw less amps.  look under the hood of any car, the shroud spaces the fan out from the radiator to allow it to work better.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2009, 08:57:03 PM »
Good catch/idea there Boost on the shroud. Your logic of the coverage of the radiator makes me wonder if you got pointy ears. Good stuff.

Also love the moped. 

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2009, 08:58:50 PM »
pointy ears?
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2009, 08:59:37 PM »
Very true boost but again why fix something thats not broken.If the fans ARE going bad and it staysat 200-210 then all he needs do is replace the fans. Your advise is VERY good though for designing a shroud.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2009, 09:03:55 PM »
pointy ears?

Ever watch StarTrek?  Spock......  Vulcan......  Logical.  ;D

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2009, 09:05:13 PM »
Sorry.

Pointy ears as in logical like Spock.

I aint a dyed in the wool trek head But alwasy liked Spock the best. Except when Kirk was beating the snot out of someone. That was fun. 

robndeb

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2009, 09:07:13 PM »
First I will agree 210 aint that hot. Pretty safe at that. Second I will ask is there a gap between the metal plate the fan are bolted to and the radiator? It kinda looks like there might be. If so then it will drag a lot of air in through there. (Or in your case of pushers blow it out.)

On the plus side pancake fans are usually for areas where its to tight. It looks like you can go with non panckae motors with ease. That might save you a lil bit.

Pullers pull more air than pushers push. Best to have pullers if you can. Some fans can be gotten with specail blades to be a pusher. VS just wiring them backwards when they are meant to be a puller.

Also nice pics. Good close ups. Can you snap a couple a little farther away so that we can see how the air flows into and aways from the radiator. Looking for the entire "airpath" if you will.   

The fan shroud bolts to the radiator on raised nubs, leaving a 1/2 inch gap. I've replaced the crappy double stick foam that was on there when I got it to some nice rubber weather strip, sealing it up pretty good. I haven't seen any non pancake fans for sale anywhere, I wonder who has them? There is absolutely no natural airflow to the fans, the seats are touching each other, leaving no gap.

My wife forgot to turn the fans on and in a minute the temp got up to 215, she remembered to turn the fans on and in a few more minutes it was back to 200.  There is plenty of room to redesign my shroud, moving it out away from the radiator. I guess I'll try my hand at sheet metal fabrication!  Any suggestions on some quality fan/fans?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 10:31:38 PM by Robndeb »

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2009, 09:10:35 PM »
The fan shroud bolts to the radiator on raised nubs, leaving a 1/2 inch gap. I've replaced the crappy double stick foam that was on there when I got it to some nice rubber weather strip, sealing it up pretty good. I haven't seen any non pancake fans for sale anywhere, I wonder who has them? There is absolutely no natural airflow to the fans, the seats are touching each other, leaving no gap. My wife forgot to turn the fans on and in a minute the temp got up to 215, she remembered to turn the fans on and in a few more minutes it was back to 200.

Sounds like it works ok......  Can you put a thermostatically controlled switch on so you don't have to watch it?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal