Author Topic: MC engine to VW trans (Is this place alive still?)  (Read 3682 times)

Desp

MC engine to VW trans (Is this place alive still?)
« on: September 05, 2013, 08:47:40 PM »
I found this forum through a google search, but I fear it may be dead... Anyway.

I am wanting to connect a zx6r engine to a VW bus trans. I have come up with a few ideas but I was wondering if anyone has a walk through on doing it? Has anyone fabbed up a drive shaft to go directly from the output of the motorcycle engine to the trans splines? What about connecting a sprocket some how to the tranny and using the sprocket on the bike?

Thoughts, ideas?

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
Re: MC engine to VW trans (Is this place alive still?)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 09:04:14 PM »
Never say die at DTS! Goofed up one or twice but that's about it  ;D

Lots of reading to do with Fabr's crossbreeding VW with a Busa trans here to get some ideas or whats to come for ya http://www.dtsfab.com/index/index.php?topic=206.0 AND many many intelligent minds on here to help you on your journey. Welcome to the site!

"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 10:03:22 PM »
My setup has performed flawlessly in the last 2 years of use. Turbo busa/2000# car. My adapter is for mid engine car. If you have the time to sift through the link enemy posted  it pretty well tells all.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 11:03:03 PM »
My setup has performed flawlessly in the last 2 years of use.

Are you using the Guibo coupler?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 05:57:10 AM »
Yes,absolutely no issue with it.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Desp

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 08:34:34 AM »
Holy crap 71 pages... I'll get started on it.

Once I have questions I'll post them in this topic.

I think I know the question to this, but the zx6r engine may be a bit weak, eh? I got a good deal on it, busa motors were 4x more. This isn't for sand though, it's a rail that I want to do trail driving on, and it's street legal so I need to be able to go 70mph ish. thoughts?

Desp

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 08:53:44 AM »
Well, after looking through it, seems it's way more professional than I'll be able to accomplish. There's no way I'll be able to do that.

Here's what I was thinking. The trans is mounted standard engine back style. What if I put the engine above the trans and attach a sprocket to the clutch disc. The clutch has the splines already to go on the trans shaft. My concern would be the stress on the trans bearings with all of the leverage since there wouldn't be a bearing at the end of the shaft.

My other thought was to get an old VW engine case, cut it up so the bell housing will mount to the trans, and use the whole VW flywheel and clutch assembly, have a shaft come out from the cut up engine case and attach that to the motorcycle engine with a chain/sprocket.

Or, fab up a direct drive somehow and have the engine behind the trans. Don't really have a lot of good options with what I can do since I don't have anything to machine. I can plasma cut and weld steel...

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 09:18:48 AM »
the crank actually supports the other end of the input shaft for the trans so you will have to make a plate to support that end of the stick no matter what. i would leave the flywheel of the motor in that's dead weight in the thoughts of rotating mass. you will have to machine atleast a couple of parts to make it work. if your only using a 6r then why not a geo metro trans? it's smaller and has a side input.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 09:21:16 AM »
None of the trans input shafts should be sideloaded with a chain/sprocket.  Bearing failure will happen before the shift into 3rd.  I believe Masterfabr will sell you the machined parts.  if they fit your trans??
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Desp

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 10:07:06 AM »
the crank actually supports the other end of the input shaft for the trans so you will have to make a plate to support that end of the stick no matter what. i would leave the flywheel of the motor in that's dead weight in the thoughts of rotating mass. you will have to machine atleast a couple of parts to make it work. if your only using a 6r then why not a geo metro trans? it's smaller and has a side input.

Because I didn't properly plan this out.  I bought the rail with a stock 1600cc single port and a bug trans. the trans started going out so I put a bus trans in it, while I had the engine out I decided to go ahead and take apart the whole thing and paint it, and powder coat stuff. While putting it back together I found this 6r motor and decided to try and frankenstein it.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 10:37:52 AM »
None of the trans input shafts should be sideloaded with a chain/sprocket.  Bearing failure will happen before the shift into 3rd.  I believe Masterfabr will sell you the machined parts. if they fit your trans??
Yes ,but it's not inexpensive.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 10:47:48 AM »
FWIW,I also think the 6 will be a bit small .
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Desp

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 10:57:17 AM »
Yes ,but it's not inexpensive.

Yeah no doubt.

Maybe I'll save the 6r for a go cart and just rebuild my VW engine.

:'(

Offline deano

• VIP
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 11:47:49 AM »
there are many water cooled engine 4cly. & 6 cly that have adapter ,All ready out there too ;D

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 03:37:45 PM »
if this is a beam rail then the 6r will be waaaaay to small. you can buy 3800 series II v6 engines with 100k miles on them all day long for $300 to $400 around here and have waaaaay more power than a built air cooled n/a! now the adaptor plate and high tq starter and clutch will run $1200 to $1400 depending. you can get the echotec motors or the zf 2.0 or 2.3 ford motors for a little more and adaptors are cheaper. 2.0 ztec is 130 hp and 2.3 170 and there are a lot of turbos and super charger systems out there as well as heads with better porting and etc etc to put the 2.3 to 300hp the hard way. stock still better than air cooled and fuel injected.   ok i'll stop cause this is just my opinnion.  ;D
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal