Author Topic: Well, it is automotive powered....  (Read 42208 times)

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Well, it is automotive powered....
« on: June 07, 2015, 07:46:16 AM »
No buggy.  Forest not conducive to that. And the squeeze was no longer worth the juice.  Decided on a Jeep for a few reasons.  Was really worried that I would miss the fun of having a "toy." 

Come to find out; I don't.  I have taken to the dang Jeep like a fish to water.  That is somewhat problematic.  Why?  Well, can't leave well enough alone.  So, here is what ONE Jeep guy has done.  Looking like it will be mostly wrapped up, excluding some minor stuff, in the next few weeks.  So here is a thread on how to spend money not on a buggy. 

BTW, I  have been keeping a spread sheet - note to self; don't do that shit. 
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Re: Well, it is automotive powered....
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 07:57:35 AM »
So the goal was simple.  A capable off road "trail rig."  More over-landing than rock crawling.    Not looking to ford an 18" stream or do 18" shelf drops.  Reliable, solid 3 rating.  Never really bought into the jack em to the sky and put big tires on em.  Figured keep center of gravity low as possible, like a fat bottom girl, and have fun with it, well, like a fat bottom girl.....

This is how it came.  This was on ordering day.  Not ours, but pretty close.  Had to wait for ours to be built. 

Once we did get it, first thing first, top comes off nets go on to secure the doggy.  Day one. 

Yes, I should have just stopped.  Maybe $300.00 into at that point. 

But NOOOOOOOO......  No self respecting Jeeper could be without a winch.  That requires a bumper.  And a really big box.

Of course, there has to be a hiccup along the way.....  Wench failed new in box.  They sent another.  Some component in this get up.

Course with the weight of a bumper comes springs. 

Whats that?  Disconnects?  Of course. 

Then the long cold brutal winter.  (Not really, but it sat for a few months.) 

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 08:12:14 AM »
Now funny thing about Jeepdom.  All them monkeys yammer on about "custom" this and "custom" that.  Like a RZR most this shit ain't custom.  That is not a bad thing; it really makes for some great options.  But it ain't custom.  I generally smile and nod my head in agreement. 

So, there is a boat load of shit to pick from.  This is a pretty cool unit.  Called a SPod.  Totally separate from the Jeep harness.  Powers six devices.  So on it goes.

Of course while you are under the hood, a thing I rarely do, might as well mount an air compressor. 

The instructions were essentially written in Arabic with black box photos to guide the way.  Yes, I was just THAT impressed. 

So with new switches need something to power with them 

Enter the lights. 

Gotta be honest here. A 50" bar sucks balls.  Whistles and squeals like a stuck pig.  Have worked and worked to fix that.  Will try a few more times, then off with it! Like a nagging woman, life is just too short to put up with  it.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 08:23:05 AM by Yummi »

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 08:22:12 AM »
Of course, still have more to do.  Ordered the Jeep without GPS in the head unit.  Not a fan.  That technology is still changing.  So, used a Garmin unit.  Need to figure out a mount for it. 

Enter Ram mounts and a stubby dashboard bar. 

Now, like factory best to have that "key on"  no big deal, run to the lighter socket and call it a day..... getting to that socket? 

DO NOT have the woman come outside at this point to find "her" Jeep disassembled. 

Long as you are inside mounting shit, might as well get the CB installed.  Did you know channel 16 is the unofficial off-road channel?  4X4 - get it?

Trouble is, the speaker is down by her feet.  And while remarkable feet, they can't hear.  Problem solved.

Course long about that time, it is time to remove the top for summer.  We did it last year via hand.  That sucked.  They make stuff for that.  Still sucks, just not as bad. 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 08:33:00 AM »
Very cool yummi. Great pictorial post . In the far past we did a LOT of "jeeping". LOTS of fun for sure. Was that one of the HF winches that gave you problems. I hear good and bad both about them. Killer priced.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 08:37:47 AM »
Time to finish the wires.  Not a big fan of wenchs.  Who in thr right mind runs a 16 ga cable outside the engine compartment with out a fuse?  Who runs a 400 motor without something as a circuit protection? 

Found these.  $25.00 minimum order.  Brother was happy as he gets one for his Jeep for FREE. 

Now, lest you think it is all sitting in the garage, oh no, simply not the case.  We go exploring. 

Part of the exploring led us to http://www.overlandexpo.com/west  What is "over-landing?"  Well, it is going remote places with a vehicle.  Adventure riders, Unimogs, fully custom adventure trailers like this:

That's cool and all, but truth be told I am over tents.  So there is a third option, one with a mattress.  True "over landers" will likely poo poo them, but for my needs it is the bees knees, the gnats ass, the cat's meow. 

Why yes, I have one ordered.  Should be here in a few more weeks. 

Course while waiting, there is more to do to the Jeep. 

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 08:38:50 AM »
Very cool yummi. Great pictorial post . In the far past we did a LOT of "jeeping". LOTS of fun for sure. Was that one of the HF winches that gave you problems. I hear good and bad both about them. Killer priced.

Engo.  Good out fit, no hassle on the bad unit.  Just one of them things I guess?

Offline D Walker

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 08:41:48 AM »
Awesome as usual Yummi but I have one question. Who is WILLYS and why did you put their name on your Jeep? 

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 09:17:40 AM »
So, now that it is time to get remote.  Figure it is time to get serious on the Jeep.  One thing I am not a  fan of is the mall crawlers with 20" rims and a 3" lift with no armor.  Pretty well tells me they ain't going where I am.  So with the fat bottom girl concept and a desire to remain at 33" tires, time for armor. 

This is ordered, and waiting on something else.  A full belly pan 1/4" 6061 Aluminum for skid plates. 

That goes on with this, which is the only "custom" part.  Local fab guy builds them, mine will have racks and rotopax mounts for four gallons of water, and four of fuel....

When it is installed I will show you the selling point vs the "bolt on" stuff.  It should be here about the time of the trailer. 

Why yes, the extra weight and tongue weight of the trailer will result in new rear springs.  Always something right?

So, back to the 20" rims.  Laughable to me.  Everybody goes big rims.  Near as I can tell, it is all about sidewall flex and foot print.  So, with the fat bottom girl in mind I am sticking with 33" tires.  Jeep came with 32" x 10.5"  The back space on a Jeep rim is retarded at 6.75"  A stock JKU will clear 33" tires.  Most guys go for a 35" tire with a 3 or 4" lift.  Not so much for me. 

Time to order these.....

Will run a 33"x12.5X15.  That should get some sidewall flex no?

Should look like this....

You know I ordered a set for the trailer as well...   LMAO  Did not change hubs on trailer, wont clear 33" so rims are just for "looks." 

Back ordered of course.

Now, 33" on a 1.5" level may rub.  Raise the jeep?  Nope, raise the fenders! 

Should give me 1" more clearance.  Now it is time for the UPS man to show up! 

Course, no self respecting Jeep can leave home with out stuff.  Toiletries, first aid, tools, all the crap.

and it fits....

The back third of the Jeep is this guy's domain.... 

Front third mine.  Middle?  Come along for the ride. 

This is one of my favorite pictures.  Serious down pour - top off.  We were just four miles from a gas station, banazi run, sit under the canopy with the motorcycle dudes. 

So, next few weeks, should be pretty close to my goals.  All is paid for, just waiting at this point.......
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 09:21:06 AM by Yummi »

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 09:18:32 AM »
Awesome as usual Yummi but I have one question. Who is WILLYS and why did you put their name on your Jeep?

He is a myth.  Like Zeus or Thor.  Or maybe some dead guy who just needed to get out and about?   

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 09:35:30 AM »
Very nice,practical,capable vehicle. Very cool.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2015, 12:09:03 PM »
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 12:11:23 PM by Yummi »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 12:19:38 PM »
Got a link to the air compressor?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2015, 12:23:40 PM »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal