Author Topic: Fabr's Desert Car (As If I Don't Have Enough on My Plate)  (Read 115631 times)

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
Re: Fabr's Desert Car (As If I Don't Have Enough on My Plate)
« Reply #225 on: April 24, 2013, 06:16:27 AM »
Looks like you and the dimple dies had some alone time?  Really coming together nicely!!  Got idea of how your gonna brace those upper shock mounts, esp the coilover?? 

Apears I'll survive the v8 payback roost one more trip?  LMAO LMAO
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #226 on: April 24, 2013, 06:54:30 AM »
 Ya,there's tube work to be done yet to the upper mounts. I was waiting for someone to say something! LOL!!!! THat will be first thing done after fabbing tie rod mounts on uprights and positioning/refining r&p for minimum bumpsteer.  Should be tackling the r&p and tie rod mounts stuff tomorrow/next day. Plate/box rear lower arms and IT'S A ROLLER!!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 07:33:21 AM by masterfabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #227 on: April 24, 2013, 03:51:34 PM »
looks really good as usual!! 

I have a question that is just a thought, i build my rear carriers with the heim mount point straight up and down as well.  in your opinnion , wouild it be benificial to mount the uppers in a king pin anlge to place a contact patch on the paddle for better hook up or minimal effect?
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #228 on: April 24, 2013, 07:11:08 PM »
not sure I follow what you mean.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #229 on: April 24, 2013, 07:25:40 PM »
He's talking about setting up your rear hub KPI for zero scrub radius, kinda like a front spindle.

I don't think scrub radius would make all that much of a difference on the rear, it doesn't turn. It will take some twisting stress of the arms though. Using your camber curve to cut down on lateral wheel scrub does help though........

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #230 on: April 24, 2013, 07:40:03 PM »
Oh ,I see. I haven't given it thought but wouldn't that make for loss of travel due to increased cv angle at droop or necessitate +(or is it -,I can never keep it straight), camber,leaning out, at bump to get zero camber at full droop for max travel?  Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe my head is where the sun doesn't shine tonight also! LOL!!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #231 on: April 25, 2013, 05:28:42 AM »
It would take a lot of "KPI" to get close to a wide rear, but I think it would be a good idea.  Set at 0* at droop and let it tip in (-?) 3-4* at bump.  Would help lessen stress in hard turn I'd think.  Wouldn't be hard on A-arm rear, little tricky on DS's 6 link.  Forward upper link would have to be mounted inboard same as on carrier.  And that be fun!!.

Car is looking great, can't wait to see all the little finishing details you got cramed up in that noggin of yours Fabr.  Guessing its not close enough for you to drag down for us to kick the tires on.  LMAO LMAO ;D
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #232 on: April 25, 2013, 05:55:18 AM »
Personally,I feel that there could be a small benefit but..........................I see no real reason to do so. I hope to have the tire kicking party before the St.A. trip in September.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #233 on: April 25, 2013, 07:21:00 AM »
Carl,those dimples shaved 2.5 pounds of unsprung weight off of each arm and makes a stiffer plating job at the same time. The plate is .120 same as arms.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #234 on: May 04, 2013, 10:27:12 AM »
that is what i was talking about and getting the load contact patch to a certain spot on the tire is what i was talking about mostly. i have never seen this but on 2 designs. 1 was a five link years ago by SU and the origanal at that. they believed in pos camber at full droop in the rear but i don't agree with his reason.  the other is mose built on his a-arm rear end rail. i noticed that in a pic on gd.com some time back but have been thinking about it for a few years just didn't want to screw with what worked for now.  i know there is an advantage to breaking traction to get the  rear end to swing or swap but is there a bigger advantage to getting the rail effect but then you have to ask for what app and the pro's and con's list goes on and on but a tighter cut i think is where one might benifit from the kpi ( so to speak ) on the rear carrier?
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #235 on: May 04, 2013, 04:24:34 PM »
IMO,it's like asking if apple juice is better than orange juice.Depends on the persons taste.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #236 on: May 04, 2013, 07:05:51 PM »
IMO,it's like asking if apple juice is better than orange juice.Depends on the persons taste.

We all know that Orange Juice makes better screwdrivers.  Orange Juice is therefore better.   
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #237 on: June 20, 2013, 08:11:57 PM »
Well,not worth a pic but got a boost of enthusiasm today with the placing of a dummy block on the Fortin to begin making motor mounts. Funny how the littlest thing can sometimes make you want to work on something night and day again.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #238 on: June 21, 2013, 07:20:18 PM »
Since I've reached the point of needing to mount the engine it is also the point of needing to get the engine ready. I decided to leave the primary engine in the dragster and use the backup engine. It was fresh ,waiting to go in the car BUT I decided a few months ago tl build both engines identical. The only difference in this one and the primary is the use of this GM CNC Race Prep iron block vs the rodeck and the use of a Cola crank instead of the Callies . Otherwise they will be one and the same as far as common parts will be concerned ,Oliver rods,JE pistons,titanium valves,Jesel rockers,reduced Cam for this though,Jesel belt cam drive,blah,blah,blah. A couple pics of the block. Figure I'll post some pics as the reassembly goes along to point out some of the drastic differences in this small block Chevy configuration and a standard head layout. This is a 428 ci stroker SBC.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 07:22:18 PM by masterfabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #239 on: June 27, 2013, 07:32:43 PM »
Well,got the ring end gap filer in yesterday  and got the end gaps set. Rotating assembly is done. A few pics of progress,some assembly tools I made 25 or so years ago before you could just run out and buy them. Not much to see really but WTH. LOL!!!
 In pic 4 you see tools like the pvc pipe ring squaring tool , the electric tape wrapped rod guide tool,the home made rod bolt stretch gauge and last but not least the 2x2 piston knocker.  rofl rofl
  Pic 5 shows stretch gauge on a rod bolt and all the notations of what the dial indicator should read for each rod bolt. Measure loose and measure stretch. Oliver ARP bolts require .0052 to .0058 stretch. It takes 80 foot pounds of torque to get that with the 7/16" rod bolts these rods use.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal