Author Topic: A J Speed Shifter Great when it works!!!!! But sucks when it don't  (Read 8155 times)

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
A J Speed Shifter Great when it works!!!!! But sucks when it don't
« on: September 10, 2009, 09:21:08 AM »
          Well as most of you all know I use one of the finest mid engine shifters that $$$$$$$$ can buy.  I have bragged on this thing from day one that I installed it.  Well last week end it let me down. Only 14 total trips on it and BAM it takes a %hit.  Got camp set up late Friday night and made one run out to see the sand and make sure the car was running good.  Come back to camp and put the green machine to bed for the night.  Got up early Saturday morn and hit the sand.  Good run hard fast and lots to dune jumping like I like.  Only one out on the sand at about seven AM no traffic to worry about. Not one four wheeler anywhere to be seen.
Air time superfine. Well after about an hour I roll back in to camp and put on the old feed bag. One hour later I get back in the car and when I go for reverse I have to pump the shift handle a couple of times to get it to go in to gear.  For all that are not familiar with this type of shifter it is all hydraulic. will it went into gear and all was cool until I was boogying down the sand hi way and went to down shift going into the Cowboy camp grounds.  Nothing not a dam thing. I was running in third gear and it would not shift back down into second.  I put it into fourth and then I could not get it back into third.  Well back to camp in fourth all the way to see what mite be the problem.  Some times if air gets in the stystem It will not work.  Well after a pint of Dot 3 I give up the bleeding of the stystem and reside to the fact that my weekend was over.  But then I had to find a way to get the car back into the monster hi-rise toyhauler.  Ifen any of you have seen this reworked wonder of a weekend Worrier you would know what I am speaking of.  I have this trailer jacked up with flipped axles.  With the ramp down I'm looking at a 30* climb up it.  Dam ain't enough people in camp to help me push this heavy thing up that ramp.  Wifey just stepped back and shook her head like Don't look at me to help. Well after taking the whole back end of the trans off and manually putting the car into gear I was able to drive it up the ramp for the loading and trip back home.  Here is the after math.  Next time this happens I'll for dam sure know how to fix this thing in the field.  Well need some one with a nice lathe to turn me some thin SS liners for the cylinders.  What happend was sand had gotten into the plungers of the front unit that houses the shift handle and scored the rubber o-rings and the ali bores. Will need to put some nice thin liners in them to keep this from happening again. Not hammering on A J machine here because I know %hit happens some times. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Lance-W

Re: A J Speed Shifter Great when it works!!!!! But sucks when it don't
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 09:40:05 AM »
These might work for you and no one has to make them.  There are other companies that make them too I just knew the trade name of this one.

http://www.timken.com/EN-US/products/seals/industrial/products/Pages/redisleeves.aspx#

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 10:32:24 AM »
These might work for you and no one has to make them.  There are other companies that make them too I just knew the trade name of this one.

http://www.timken.com/EN-US/products/seals/industrial/products/Pages/redisleeves.aspx#

I think these are more for pressing over a shaft.  Rather then pressing into a bore.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
What I'll need is some SS sleeves about 2.1 long and .747 OD and .687 ID. That will be really thin.  I'll dry ice Them to put them in.  I'll have to bore the cylinders too. 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 07:12:49 PM »
I'd suggest shrink fitting with dry ice a thicker sleeve and then bore it kike an engine is done . I doubt you'll get the really thin sleeves in before they expand. That's a really long push for a very thin wall sleeve-thicker will retain the cold much longer and allow for a nice straight round bore if bored after insertion. The bores should also be honed after boring for good O-ring life. I had a contract with the UP Railroad for a few years till they changed the design rebuilding track greasers and used that method.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

chrishallett83

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 04:28:08 AM »
Is there a way you can upgrade the sealing of the whole mechanism so that sand can not find its way in there again? Even with the resleeve, if sand gets back in there you will have the same problem when the o-rings get chewed up...

artie on edge

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 05:59:02 AM »
          Well as most of you all know I use one of the finest mid engine shifters that $$$$$$$$ can buy.  I have bragged on this thing from day one that I installed it.  Well last week end it let me down. Only 14 total trips on it and BAM it takes a %hit.  Got camp set up late Friday night and made one run out to see the sand and make sure the car was running good.  Come back to camp and put the green machine to bed for the night.  Got up early Saturday morn and hit the sand.  Good run hard fast and lots to dune jumping like I like.  Only one out on the sand at about seven AM no traffic to worry about. Not one four wheeler anywhere to be seen.
Air time superfine. Well after about an hour I roll back in to camp and put on the old feed bag. One hour later I get back in the car and when I go for reverse I have to pump the shift handle a couple of times to get it to go in to gear.  For all that are not familiar with this type of shifter it is all hydraulic. will it went into gear and all was cool until I was boogying down the sand hi way and went to down shift going into the Cowboy camp grounds.  Nothing not a dam thing. I was running in third gear and it would not shift back down into second.  I put it into fourth and then I could not get it back into third.  Well back to camp in fourth all the way to see what mite be the problem.  Some times if air gets in the stystem It will not work.  Well after a pint of Dot 3 I give up the bleeding of the stystem and reside to the fact that my weekend was over.  But then I had to find a way to get the car back into the monster hi-rise toyhauler.  Ifen any of you have seen this reworked wonder of a weekend Worrier you would know what I am speaking of.  I have this trailer jacked up with flipped axles.  With the ramp down I'm looking at a 30* climb up it.  Dam ain't enough people in camp to help me push this heavy thing up that ramp.  Wifey just stepped back and shook her head like Don't look at me to help. Well after taking the whole back end of the trans off and manually putting the car into gear I was able to drive it up the ramp for the loading and trip back home.  Here is the after math.  Next time this happens I'll for dam sure know how to fix this thing in the field.  Well need some one with a nice lathe to turn me some thin SS liners for the cylinders.  What happend was sand had gotten into the plungers of the front unit that houses the shift handle and scored the rubber o-rings and the ali bores. Will need to put some nice thin liners in them to keep this from happening again. Not hammering on A J machine here because I know %hit happens some times.

Sand huh?

Knew THAT would be a problem eventually.... whats wrong with good ole dust?

SPEC

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 06:01:58 AM »
Sand tastes better in pickles...

artie on edge

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 06:05:07 AM »
get stuffed you.... pickles ?? sand??

Talking to a mate tonight.. he received a small package of dirt in the mail from his brother yesterday. Note said "this is your topsoil KEEP IT!"

Weve had some bad dust storms here of late... :-\

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 06:07:40 AM »
heheheheheeeeee
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SPEC

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 06:10:13 AM »
thats a good one artie LMAO

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 08:40:10 AM »
get stuffed you.... pickles ?? sand??

Talking to a mate tonight.. he received a small package of dirt in the mail from his brother yesterday. Note said "this is your topsoil KEEP IT!"

Weve had some bad dust storms here of late... :-\
Land IS expensive. Tell him to send you more.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal