Author Topic: Best CV Bolts Made (I Hope/IMO)  (Read 2925 times)

Online fabr

• Administrator
Best CV Bolts Made (I Hope/IMO)
« on: June 10, 2016, 08:35:24 PM »
934 cv's needing 1/2" x 2 1/2" cv bolts.Not wanting the cheap way,I went looking. Found  $2-$17 range. UummmmK  The $17 Kartek ones are the only ones I found with an ultra small,7/16" 12 point head for boot clearance . Well ,that's all good but trying to torque to 110 or so with 7/16" head is a bit sketchy. Posted the question as to what every one is using on GD and up comes a reply from a guy that owns an aero space bolt mfg biz. He makes cv bolts in the 1/2" full diameter ground shank ,ndt testing,fully inspected,blah,blah,blah. Bottom line,extremely high quality. Here is a copy of his post:

We are an aerospace fastener manufacturer, and we race SCORE. Our class 1 and class 10 were both class champions in 2015, and we won the Baja 1000 in class 10.

Specs on these bolts are 8740 200 KSI, forged head, centerless ground shank, threads rolled after heat treat. Reduced head sized for ccv boot flange clearance. NDT inspected, etc, etc.

Yes, a special socket is required. They are available at Craftsman for around $5, or Snap On for up to $89. Even Harbor Freight carries spline drive socket sets. The drive is much more positive than a standard 12 point. The 2 grip lengths we have in stock now are based on a Fortin trans and Fortin hub, but the length th OP was looking for is one of those. The longer bolt needed for Pro Am or Jamar hubs is going into production shortly.

A list of our dealers can be found here:
http://www.reidproducts.com/?page=motorsports&nav=closed

What is so special about these? SPLINE drive heads. Beats the hell out of a 7/16 12 point for sure. Made it a no brainer for me. Don't like the price but WTH,quality costs $$$$$ Not sure I was given regular price or not so all I'll say is they are in the 12 bux range each. Here's a pic . I'll post better one when they get here next week.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: Best CV Bolts Made (I Hope/IMO)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 09:20:19 PM »
 12 dalla each 3:

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 09:57:42 PM »
Compared to the trans,tq converter,axles,934 cv's,coolers and what not,they are cheap by comparison. Honestly ,I learned my lesson on the value of the best fasteners available with the best possible fit with their bore when transmitting tq in my drag days. It only takes one close call to make a person a believer. Drive studs or fully threaded allen socket heads for wheel studs? Sure lots /hell most drag car axles use the fully threaded allens. I preferred to use true drive studs after I sheared all 5 allens at about 100 foot out/90 mph or so. It was fun I have to admit tho!  ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 06:34:37 AM »
Well with big power, you have to up everything.  Had to pu some of those sockets, seems Ford used them on my 20 yr old turbo.  Exhaust housing side, I just knew they would snap!  Great fit feel and bolts came right out.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 12:53:07 PM »
looks good and i know you'll test them!
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 03:45:47 PM »
UPS shows tomorrow delivery. You guys can bet I'll give them the evil eye and maybe even sleep with them like we all did some new toy on Christmas  when kids.  ;D ;D LMAO LMAO LMAO
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 06:31:11 PM »
Shit I still like to sleep with "new toys"! 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 09:03:15 PM »
We won't tell her you said that.......................
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal