Author Topic: turbo 1300 to turbo 2300 conversion  (Read 80710 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
turbo 1300 to turbo 2300 conversion
« on: December 03, 2016, 11:50:32 PM »
well here you go glenn, not much to see yet just stripping it down so i can start cutting out the sections for conversion to fit the new mid engine megasand and turbo 2.3 ford engine.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: turbo 1300 to turbo 2300 conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 04:42:41 AM »
Quote well here you go glenn, not much to see yet just stripping it down so i can start cutting out the sections for conversion to fit the new mid engine megasand and turbo 2.3 ford engine.Quote

You are so going to love the boost  2:.  Even with it going to be a mid engine you mite move some weight up front.

Note: to self, start planing the twin turbo six cyl subi.   gg:

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 08:23:08 AM »
you are right i will love the boost on the 2.3, enemy loves it in his ranger lol
   i have a megasand 3 speed mid engine trans. every trans shop i have talked to ....wright, marks sands trans, rancho and weddle all say 300 ft lbs tq trans. that's the megasand in general not the 3 speed specifically. they all called it a bastard trans  rofl so anyway i know the terrain in LS is diff than st a but scottsmith's bud and pretty much whole group he rides with running the turno 2.3 but his bud BO in particualar is i thinnk 365 to 400 hp at wheel running an old megasand with the weakest case they made and has had no issues for years now. so here's the plan as of right now.......... i am going to build the motor safe to 500 hp and have it balanced to 9000 rpm. i am using forged cp flat top pistons to raise comp from stock 8-1 to 9-1 for better turbo response as well as throttle. sportsman forged rod as well. now one of the easiest and fastest power mods on the 88 thunder chicken motor is to install the ranger roller cam along with its roller rockers and followers. this is a huge wake up for the stock engine. stock turbo cam is a slider cam and a slightly higher valve lift but the ranger roller ( RR cam) does a better job. neither cam have near enough. duration on the exh side and enemy brought another cam to my attention i will be purchasing. it is called the hot pinto cam. i was looking at an esslinger cam. the hot pinto cam is rated for 2000 to 6000 rpm and has a 4.20 lift vs the 3.90 RR cam lift but has longer duration on the exh side for a turbo. stock RR cam drops at 5500 rpm but enemy can remark from personal experience on this one lol  i have taken the time and did a very very mild port job on the head. just cleaned up all the slag and scale in the runners and comb chamber basically but went to town on the valve bowl area.

my point in all this is since i will have to cap the motor at 400 hp i want that power as low in the rpm band as possible so i am selecting the parts for quickest spool. i am looking at the borgwarner efr 6258 turbo for quickest spool up. if i can't build the 500 hp i wanted then i will shoot for 400 as soon as poss  rofl now the 3 speed has stronger gears than the 4 speeds do. fast you know what i'm talking about.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 08:36:07 AM »
for the rear end i will be fabbing an a-arm rear. i plan ( at this time) to lay my shock line up inboard rather than forward.  so any pointers on the a-arm rear end fabr?? or any one else
i don't have any pics but i have spent some time constructing a custom upper intake for the engine with the special adaptor doug hiem made for me......damn fine work on that doug! and i will be going e85 as well so starting with 130 lb injs and i have a crank trigger conversion so no stock dist on this motor either all micro squirt pimp system and enemy has the ls1 coil ignition figured out along with flex fuel sensor and custom ccv breather box for higher boost....so will be doing that as well for sequential fire as well as injection. nice work enemy!!!!! pics to come

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 08:43:34 AM »
3 speed mid.....note specail thanks to lancew for picking this up for me!!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 08:53:06 AM »
for those that understand this....
stock cam 2.3 TURBO
Valve Lift (Intake / Exhaust) .354 / .353 .050" Duration (Intake / Exhaust) 188 / 188 Lobe Separation Angle 120 / 104 2k to 5k rpm

stock ranger roller cam 2.3 1987/90
Valve Lift (Intake / Exhaust) .390 / .390 .050" Duration (Intake / Exhaust) 187 / 190 Lobe Separation Angle 108 / 116 2k to 5k rpm

hot pinto has a .426" int  with 262* duration and .418" exh lift 258* duration 114* lobe seperation. 2k to 6k rpm but many report pulls well to 6500 rpm.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 12:30:42 PM »
got to love plasma cutters  ;D

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 04:05:34 PM »
My dad has a 2300 NA motor that we are swapping for my old subaru. That thing runs great. Should be a fun ride with the new setup. How is the trans gearing setup? I know I wish I had a 5th gear so having 3 would be tough for me. Is it just set up for duning with a low top speed?
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 04:09:53 PM »
comparable to the built 091 that had a 4.57 r&p running 33 blaster paddles i had but they drop 1st and bring 2  3rd  4th down lower 4.43 r&p then they make the gears wider. 2nd 3rd will be an inline shift with this one. i never used 4th at ls in my 3.8 v6 rail. i will be running the stu 1300 on this one as well. they are heavier than the suby's but will take a lot of abuse and boost.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 04:12:52 PM by dsrace »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 05:44:35 PM »
Gotta love  a man with a plan!. 
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 05:52:17 PM »
you are right i will love the boost on the 2.3, enemy loves it in his ranger lol
   i have a megasand 3 speed mid engine trans. every trans shop i have talked to ....wright, marks sands trans, rancho and weddle all say 300 ft lbs tq trans. that's the megasand in general not the 3 speed specifically. they all called it a bastard trans  rofl so anyway i know the terrain in LS is diff than st a but scottsmith's bud and pretty much whole group he rides with running the turno 2.3 but his bud BO in particualar is i thinnk 365 to 400 hp at wheel running an old megasand with the weakest case they made and has had no issues for years now. so here's the plan as of right now.......... i am going to build the motor safe to 500 hp and have it balanced to 9000 rpm. i am using forged cp flat top pistons to raise comp from stock 8-1 to 9-1 for better turbo response as well as throttle. sportsman forged rod as well. now one of the easiest and fastest power mods on the 88 thunder chicken motor is to install the ranger roller cam along with its roller rockers and followers. this is a huge wake up for the stock engine. stock turbo cam is a slider cam and a slightly higher valve lift but the ranger roller ( RR cam) does a better job. neither cam have near enough. duration on the exh side and enemy brought another cam to my attention i will be purchasing. it is called the hot pinto cam. i was looking at an esslinger cam. the hot pinto cam is rated for 2000 to 6000 rpm and has a 4.20 lift vs the 3.90 RR cam lift but has longer duration on the exh side for a turbo. stock RR cam drops at 5500 rpm but enemy can remark from personal experience on this one lol  i have taken the time and did a very very mild port job on the head. just cleaned up all the slag and scale in the runners and comb chamber basically but went to town on the valve bowl area.

my point in all this is since i will have to cap the motor at 400 hp i want that power as low in the rpm band as possible so i am selecting the parts for quickest spool. i am looking at the borgwarner efr 6258 turbo for quickest spool up. if i can't build the 500 hp i wanted then i will shoot for 400 as soon as poss  rofl now the 3 speed has stronger gears than the 4 speeds do. fast you know what i'm talking about.
You do realize that all inline engines cranks are naturally balanced? All that needs to be balanced is total piston weights and rod big/small end.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 05:56:54 PM »
for the rear end i will be fabbing an a-arm rear. i plan ( at this time) to lay my shock line up inboard rather than forward.  so any pointers on the a-arm rear end fabr?? or any one else
i don't have any pics but i have spent some time constructing a custom upper intake for the engine with the special adaptor doug hiem made for me......damn fine work on that doug! and i will be going e85 as well so starting with 130 lb injs and i have a crank trigger conversion so no stock dist on this motor either all micro squirt pimp system and enemy has the ls1 coil ignition figured out along with flex fuel sensor and custom ccv breather box for higher boost....so will be doing that as well for sequential fire as well as injection. nice work enemy!!!!! pics to come
If I understand your terminology correctly,yes.So far,I'm tickled pink with desert cars setup.Need to get it out where I can open it up.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 09:07:20 PM »
You do realize that all inline engines cranks are naturally balanced? All that needs to be balanced is total piston weights and rod big/small end.

i did not realize that so thanks for the info. this engine and these do not have harmonic balancers but later models did get them. not sure what year. planned on the rods and pistons. i figured i would have the crank with the flywheel balanced but maybe just the flywheel now.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 09:08:39 PM »
If I understand your terminology correctly,yes.So far,I'm tickled pink with desert cars setup.Need to get it out where I can open it up.

laying the shock inline with the axle as in from wheel to center of frame rather than forward like it was as in from wheel to back of seat. i have enough room just need to see how it will lay out.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 09:17:11 PM »
so here are some pics of the head. stock spare head first then the head i ported/polished so you can kind of see what i did. i know pics aren't the same as in person but..... now i didn't take any real material off the short side in the intake or exh runners just cleaned all the slag and polished the wall as best as i could. not a lot of material in those spots and read many posts that they can crack easy if you take much. i did go to town in the bowl area and the slag was bad in there. cleaned and took a little out of the cc as well. funny thing is it looks a lot smoother in person but the camera really picks up the marks. so fabbr you've done a few heads so good or bad ...thoughts?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal