Author Topic: Electric Reverser  (Read 8756 times)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: Electric Reverser
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2009, 10:17:23 PM »
Also if you look at the pics IF that flex plate reverse ever failed with no scattershield from RPMS the gas tank is literally right there.

So the burning flames might cauterize the wounds!

Same for the chain side.... I only hope a guard was added if that machine ever got finished.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2009, 07:56:00 AM »
You guys are looking at this wrong. Using your example of 14000K rpm at the engine. There will undoubtedly be a primary reduction along the lines of 1.75:1. SOoo 14000/1.75=8000rpm at the counter shaft approx in high gear. Then in the pic there is at least a 2:1 reduction to the flywheel shaft bring it down to the 4000RPM range. Not a thing unsafe about that. Ditto.I'd have made it bolt on the hub also.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2009, 09:08:02 AM »
In the pictures of that particular design, I didn't see much reduction between the flywheel shaft and the output axle.  It looks to me that the primary goal there was to be able to locate the axle as low as possible by not having the big reduction sprocket on the main axle causing more CV angle and less ground clearance.  Likewise the 14" flexplate on the main axle wreaks havoc with ground clearance.

My point is that if you have a standard design chain drive/reduction from the motor to the rear axle, then you add a chain with a big reduction to the flywheel, to slow down the reverse speed (like say a 6:1) then you could have a pretty high speed flywheel which will be hard to accelerate and decelerate, as well as it could be dangerous, and have another high wear chain on it.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2009, 12:02:42 PM »
I agree with Both Fabr and Engineer here a good bit.

I do not know the gear ratios of all the diff engines and only bother to learn ones I own or may own. I do tend to keep forgetting the primary bike motor reduction from the crank to the clutch which is silly of me as I have been thru more than a few Banshee motors and I know they all have a similair gear reduction.

As to Engineers comments about the weight if the flywheel I agree its a burden to bear but a needed evil if you wish reverse. And although it would be easier to accelerate and decellerate right on the spool VS where it is in the pics it like nearly everything else we do is a compromise. You gain ground clearance with the setup but have to deal with the more weight being accelerated/decleeerated more.

On that thought though there are a LOT of companies that make heavier flywheels (or flywheel add ons) to smooth out powerbands and even those are more effective at the crankshaft where they are mounted this extra drivetrain momentum can have a slightly similiar effect once moving. Just saying.

Also a Flexplate is pretty dang light. Flexplates are used with automatic trannies and is whats shown in my pics. A Flywheel is used with a manual and is far heavier. Flywheels are several times heavier than flexplates and then some.

Yah I am picking at straws here. :]

I realize that setup also seems to have little gear reduction from the top shaft to the CV's but it would be easy to incorporate it. I think it would be pretty easy to seal it and oil bath the center too for that matter.

I would also move the top shaft back till the flex plate was a fraction of an inch from sticking out the frame back. Every chain link helps. 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2010, 11:51:25 PM »
Oh yeah. Not ALL Goldwings have reverse either. So be mindful of that if you go that way.

All 1500 and 1800 GW have reverse. The Valkeries and Runes do not.

How far off center is the output shaft on the GW?

The shaft is about 4-1/4" off center.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 11:53:03 PM by BDKW1 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal