Author Topic: Electric Reverser  (Read 8755 times)

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
Re: Electric Reverser
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 09:10:20 AM »
I like the sprag clutch because it has less moving parts and you will always have someone that will forget to disingauge the reverse before they take off, a sprag gear and a permanent connection is basically dummy proof...

Yah, but I don't know how long it will last either spinning like a mofo.  Mabey running in oil, but that could prove difficult as well.

Electrically interlock it to a motor kill..... If not in Neutral......  and a GIANT red light. hehe

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 10:51:55 AM »
Has anyone thought about using an electric motor rather than a starter? Just a thought. Or you can just buy the jeffco reverse hub...
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 11:40:24 AM »
Yoshi are you SURE about the sprague clutch?

I ask because for it to allow the machine to freewheel forward. It would not be able to spin the shaft in reverse.

If it was able to send power into the driveline in reverse the sprauge clutch would try to spin the elctric motor all the time while the drivetrain was spinning forward.

I have mocked up several layouts and the one I liked best was if you had an idler sprocket instead of just mounting it on bearings you mount it on shaft. Then run the power across the chassis to a pulley with a V-belt. When you want reverse you pull a lever which tightens the belt just enough to grip and switch on power to the motor. The Pulley belt is just like a lawnmower drive that enguages the deck. These can slip all day and little/no danger of them enguaging if/when not tight.

The gear reduction of the idler would make it powerful. I used to think a winch but with this gear reduction also it would be slow as hell. If you look at older garden tractors (My Grandpas was a Simplicity) It had a generator that acted like a starter to spin the motor over but then generated current to charge the battery. One of these would work very nice through the reduction and you would be able to add or loose speed through how hard you enguaged the belt with the lever.

These electric starters on this tractor would crank over a 17 horse motor like nothing when the battery was decent.

Proper leverage would make this not hard to do from the driver seat.

Also if you did not have an idler sprocket as many do not you would simply have to put a belt pulley alongside the sprocket or brake disc. Then make it so the lever pulled a belt tight against that. Just need a little more reduction in the pullies than the idler sprocket way.

This way direct to the rear was how I thought of using the winch. Place a pulley on its cable drum and around the rear spool area. Then pivot the winch upwards to tighten the belt. This would be doable for about 200 bucks. Not for people who play in the wet though.   
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 12:20:42 PM »
Yoshi are you SURE about the sprague clutch?

I ask because for it to allow the machine to freewheel forward. It would not be able to spin the shaft in reverse.

hmm,..I think you may be right.  Let me go grab the sprag and sit on the apifiny toilet with it for a little bit ad i'll get back to you.....

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 12:33:12 PM »
ok, your right.  I just had a quick idea to use a sprag, but wasn't thinking about how it really worked I guess, lol...

Admin

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 12:43:59 PM »
With engineers way, you could double gear it in a small housing, then engage the sprocket, and have a sweet reduction ratio....Just need the starter on the opposite side then...

Admin

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 12:45:19 PM »
2:1 in the housing turning a 5:1 reduction to the sprocket will give 10:1 overall correct? what was your ratio yoshi on the flex plate?

Admin

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 12:49:10 PM »
Hook the shifter to engage the reverse unit to the tip over sensor or to the rev limiter so it wont let you go with it engaged....

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 01:15:45 PM »

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 01:18:21 PM »
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 01:19:58 PM by Yoshi »

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 01:27:24 PM »
I was thinking more of a switch that would kill the motor if you put it in gear while the reverser was physically engauged to the sprocket.

starter/winch motor  9 teeth, to a gear like a flywheel 6" with about 60 teeth = 6.6666

Then on the shaft have a 11 tooth as I drew, to the rear sprocket at 76 teeth = 6.91

Overall reduction = 6.666 x 6.91 = 46:1

Much lower than what Yoshi had with the 14" flywheel.  And if it's toooo low reduce the size of the 60tooth engaging the starter/winch, and you can raise it easily.

Disclaimer:  I don't know or have time to work out the exact pitch of the starter flywheel, so my 60 tooth 6" is a guess.

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 02:10:28 PM »
I was thinking more of a switch that would kill the motor if you put it in gear while the reverser was physically engauged to the sprocket.
that's what the kickstand line would do, when it's ingauged, it ungrounds the circuit which makes the computer think the kickstand is down, which will run until you put it in gear, then it dies before you can even take your foot off the clutch.  It could be as simple as a little contact that the starter touches while in the up position.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 02:13:45 PM »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 04:21:58 PM »
that's what the kickstand line would do, when it's ingauged, it ungrounds the circuit which makes the computer think the kickstand is down, which will run until you put it in gear, then it dies before you can even take your foot off the clutch.  It could be as simple as a little contact that the starter touches while in the up position.

Exactly! 

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2009, 10:31:32 PM »
in  my nova before when it ran outta gas about a block before the station.. i used the starter to drive to the pump. it has a 153 tooth flywheel which is the smaller one. if the starter motor can drive the car and engine that far i dont hesitate that it can do a buggy just fine. :)
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal