Author Topic: Electric Reverser  (Read 8754 times)

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
Electric Reverser
« on: January 09, 2009, 08:01:49 AM »
Ok you guys that have been around!  Your all looking for good FNR solutions, and I am sure you have tried electric reversers.  Give us noobies all the dirt.  I want to know every downside there is to an electric reverser.

Admin

Re: Electric Reverser
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 08:10:01 AM »
Ok you guys that have been around!  Your all looking for good FNR solutions, and I am sure you have tried electric reversers.  Give us noobies all the dirt.  I want to know every downside there is to an electric reverser.

pretty simple, they are electric, and they are gutless, what else you wanna know?

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 08:16:06 AM »
My setup worked great for the 2 years I ran the design, I just wished I could have geared it lower so it would have worked better, but I already had a 14" diameter flywheel so I couldn't go any bigger, but doing it over now I would run a jackshaft to get a lower ratio with smaller sprockets.  If your wanting a stout electric reverse, I would use a winch motor, will be slow as hell, but it will get you out of anything....

The guys at edge built a pretty cool unit, it's prob. got a lower ratio since their running it off the front sprocket..

Admin

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 08:23:59 AM »
Must be the reverser southernford was talking about....

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 08:28:19 AM »
My setup worked great for the 2 years I ran the design, I just wished I could have geared it lower so it would have worked better, but I already had a 14" diameter flywheel so I couldn't go any bigger, but doing it over now I would run a jackshaft to get a lower ratio with smaller sprockets.  If your wanting a stout electric reverse, I would use a winch motor, will be slow as hell, but it will get you out of anything....

The guys at edge built a pretty cool unit, it's prob. got a lower ratio since their running it off the front sprocket..

So knowing its limitations.....  Overall you were not extremely upset about the way it worked?  It would get you out of the parking spot ok?

SPEC

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 08:35:34 AM »
I had e-reverse on barb's on the jack shaft so it was reducted thru the final drive 11/52...Worked great,no speed control tho...Bump the switch...Leave the skid plate off and hit a rock...no more reverse

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 08:36:29 AM »
So knowing its limitations.....  Overall you were not extremely upset about the way it worked?  It would get you out of the parking spot ok?
oh, did just fine in the parking lot (although it sucked for turning cause I had a live axle, diff would have been as easy as going straight) It got me off the trailer, in and out of my campsites, and although it was struggling, it did back me up in the sand a few times when I really needed it.  I ran a momentary button, as soon as I hit it, it lugged for a split second, then got to operating power and the effer really took off fast, so gearing it lower would make it work the starter less and slow the reverse speed down.  I found myself pulsing the momentary cause it went to fast.  The starter was hooked directly to the battery, so I could jump in it and move the rail around in reverse without turning on the rail.  The starter motor was like $149 and had a lifetime guarantee on it, if I ever fried it I could have got another one for free, never did though...

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 08:37:40 AM »
I believe you could get a dial to adjust how much power you put to it so you could vary the speed.....

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 08:39:58 AM »
you could hook up a winch directly to the driveline off a sprag gear, so it would freespin one way and ingauge the other.  There is a perfect little gear in the busa that you can look at if you wanna get a good idea, it is attached to the end of the crank and is used to ingauge the starter motor.  I had one in my hand the other day, weighs a couple pounds and only like 4" in diameter, would be perfect for a winch type setup where the drive gear doesn't automatically retract like a starter.  I've still got the sprag here, I could take some pics of it if you don't have one handy..

Admin

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 08:44:31 AM »
I believe you could get a dial to adjust how much power you put to it so you could vary the speed.....

reducing it also reduces the torque not just the speed.... ;D

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 08:48:40 AM »

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 08:51:59 AM »
you could hook up a winch directly to the driveline off a sprag gear, so it would freespin one way and ingauge the other.  There is a perfect little gear in the busa that you can look at if you wanna get a good idea, it is attached to the end of the crank and is used to ingauge the starter motor.  I had one in my hand the other day, weighs a couple pounds and only like 4" in diameter, would be perfect for a winch type setup where the drive gear doesn't automatically retract like a starter.  I've still got the sprag here, I could take some pics of it if you don't have one handy..

Yah, I had an idea for the reduction, that wouldn't require hooking up to the MC engine, and wouldn't require a large flywheel.  I was thinking of laser cutting a sprocket profile that would directly engage with the 50 chain profile of the rear sprocket.  It would be say 12 tooth (they would look like chain rollers not teeth), and on a shaft with a 6" gear connected to the electric motor.  The whole thing would be pivoted with a lever to engage/disengage from the drive sprocket.  Then the reverse motor not have to have a clutch as you were saying.

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 09:03:35 AM »
Yah, I had an idea for the reduction, that wouldn't require hooking up to the MC engine, and wouldn't require a large flywheel.  I was thinking of laser cutting a sprocket profile that would directly engage with the 50 chain profile of the rear sprocket.  It would be say 12 tooth (they would look like chain rollers not teeth), and on a shaft with a 6" gear connected to the electric motor.  The whole thing would be pivoted with a lever to engage/disengage from the drive sprocket.  Then the reverse motor not have to have a clutch as you were saying.

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 09:06:20 AM »
I like the sprag clutch because it has less moving parts and you will always have someone that will forget to disingauge the reverse before they take off, a sprag gear and a permanent connection is basically dummy proof...

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 09:06:46 AM »
He stole my idea!!  Actually I wasn't going to engage the chain, but the sprocket.  The rest is pretty close!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal