Author Topic: Throttle spring problems  (Read 5537 times)

Wildcatfan

Throttle spring problems
« on: November 22, 2014, 01:54:35 PM »
I have tried several configurations to pull the throttle all the way back off. Diffrent springs, winding, twisting, lubrication to the cable and petal with no avail. Seems to always stretch the new spring pretty quick not allowing complete release of the throttle. I even bought a heavy duty double spring and drilled a new hole in the throttle cable bracket. This prevents the heavy spring from hanging my throttle wide open on the choke. Need some advice because im sure some else has had this problem.

Thanks in advance dts!!

Wildcatfan

Re: Throttle spring problems
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 01:58:53 PM »
You can see in the second pic the armature should almost touch the choke. I can rebend the spring and tighten it up, but it will do the same thing after a few mins of riding.

Plus anyone know where I can get this throttle cable at? Haven't measured it yet.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 07:38:36 AM »
i have never used a spring on any of mine. i wonder of the throttle pedal is the sticky spot ? i have had that happen and acted like it needed a return spring. just got sand in the pedal pivot and the end of the throttle cable in the front. cleaned them out and lubed them. i bought my throttle cables through enemy, pm him on that one.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Wildcatfan

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 07:44:39 AM »
i have never used a spring on any of mine. i wonder of the throttle pedal is the sticky spot ? i have had that happen and acted like it needed a return spring. just got sand in the pedal pivot and the end of the throttle cable in the front. cleaned them out and lubed them. i bought my throttle cables through enemy, pm him on that one.

Thanks for the reply. When I change the cable I will lightly sand and grease the pivot.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 08:25:29 AM »
what does it do if you take the spring off?  if it tries to stick pull back on the throttle pedal with your foot, if that works it the pivot point on the pedal. most of them don't use a bushing or bearing and the steel starts to wear and flake off then jam. i don't know which set you have so don't know for sure but lance would. i swapped out to wilwood pedals because they or my set have a brass bushing in them. i know your original post says you lubed the pedal and i am not doubting that but when i had to do my old ones i had to take them off there shaft and clean the inside of the pivot and the shaft it pivots on. i sprayed them with chain lube at that time.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 08:29:20 AM by Dsrace »
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 09:08:23 AM »
here is a pic of my throttle cable assembly as it has been for 3 years on my busa rail.

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 10:19:28 AM »
It worked for many many years like this.  Lot's of coils (the secret to it not taking a permanent stretch) and very short loops where it attaches. 

Sorry for the crappy picture it's all I had at home.

Another thing you have to be extremely careful about is how and where the bends are made and the larger the bend the better.  Pay extra attention to the ones under the hood and by your right foot.

The cable is just .06 (lotsa strands) stainless cable.  The sheath came from a lawnmower shop but a mig gun liner will actually work better.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 10:23:05 AM by Lance-W »

Wildcatfan

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 04:15:44 PM »
what does it do if you take the spring off?  if it tries to stick pull back on the throttle pedal with your foot, if that works it the pivot point on the pedal. most of them don't use a bushing or bearing and the steel starts to wear and flake off then jam. i don't know which set you have so don't know for sure but lance would. i swapped out to wilwood pedals because they or my set have a brass bushing in them. i know your original post says you lubed the pedal and i am not doubting that but when i had to do my old ones i had to take them off there shaft and clean the inside of the pivot and the shaft it pivots on. i sprayed them with chain lube at that time.

Everything works fine with the cable off and the spring removed. The problem was my liner I thought it was the cable. I bought a similar cable ss at tractor supply.  I tried putting the new cable in the old liner and it keeps stopping at the same spot. I sprayed the inside liner down with parts blaster and lithium grease keeps hanging up about 8" from one end. Im just gonna buy a new liner tomorrow at a local lawn tractor place and keep from ruining my new cable. Im also gonna remove and grease my pivot on my petal to be sure.

Wildcatfan

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 04:19:24 PM »
It worked for many many years like this.  Lot's of coils (the secret to it not taking a permanent stretch) and very short loops where it attaches. 

Sorry for the crappy picture it's all I had at home.

Another thing you have to be extremely careful about is how and where the bends are made and the larger the bend the better.  Pay extra attention to the ones under the hood and by your right foot.

Gottcha lance, I got a spring I think you would approve of, but I have to cut one end off it way to long. Has very small loops on the end very tightly wound and alot of coils.

The cable is just .06 (lotsa strands) stainless cable.  The sheath came from a lawnmower shop but a mig gun liner will actually work better.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 05:01:10 PM »
I'm with DS. I never use a return spring as the throttle bodies springs are more than enough. If not ,the issue is with the cable itself. Be careful with any lube that leaves a residue as it will collect dust and silt causing problems. Dry lubes only in the sand,IMO.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Wildcatfan

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 05:06:55 PM »
I'm with DS. I never use a return spring as the throttle bodies springs are more than enough. If not ,the issue is with the cable itself. Be careful with any lube that leaves a residue as it will collect dust and silt causing problems. Dry lubes only in the sand,IMO.

Yea I can see why. Thats a pretty heavy duty spring already there. Idk I might just buy a 10 speed bicycle cable after its all said and done....lol jk I keep that lube idea in mind. Thanks for the help and advice everyone.  :)

Wildcatfan

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 07:00:10 PM »
Lance, idk if that mig gun linear would be big enough? .045 liner which I know could probably accommodate a lil bigger wire. I guess what im saying is will the .06 wire work ok in that size liner? I know the .045 means wire size and not actual diameter of the liner.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 08:19:57 PM »
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 08:24:33 PM by fabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 05:39:24 AM »
No spring here on the throttles, but I did use one at the peddle/floor.  Something DS and I tried first trip to sand, I liked the firmer feel and have left it. 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline sandvw

• Fabricator
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 06:56:42 AM »
I had a problem and thought all of a sudden I had a spring problem. It turn out the cable right off of the peddle was full of ground up sand. I shot brake clean in there and the cable locked up from all of the sand. I took the cable off and put brake clean down the cable housing and there was a lot of sand that came out.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal