Author Topic: Honda GX390 Power Washer Engine  (Read 7573 times)

gizmo

Re: Honda GX390 Power Washer Engine
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 06:06:06 PM »
Hmm, you are an innocent bystander.  But somebody else, with 65k in good points, and a dancing bouncing avatar, has been participating in self gratification on the karma thing. 

Karmabation?
This is epic. I cannot stop laughing. Seriously, my face hurts (me for a change).

He has a six pack of his choice with his name on it if he wants so chooses.

SPEC

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 06:08:56 PM »
Bugsac is a pretty funny guy...
But looks aren't everything...
Bug is a funny fooker...
Just ask his wife ;D

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 06:34:27 PM »
$500-$600 should get you a decent roller.  For oval, look for an "offset" kart.  you will notice by looking at it that the seat sits way over to one side and the frame is not symetrical.  If you would also like to turn right, you better look for a "straight" kart.  I can't think of what the major frame names are at the moment, but it may come to me.  Age of chassis isn't as big of a deal as condition.  I think they are chro-mo so keep an eye out for cracks, repaired welds, an heavy scratches on the bottom.  If too much has been worn off the bottom from dragging, the frame won't flex the way it was designed to.
This post has been edited due to content.

gizmo

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 06:46:20 PM »
$500-$600 should get you a decent roller.
That's refreshing. If I could get a decent roller for  $200-$300 then that would be fantastic.
For oval, look for an "offset" kart.  you will notice by looking at it that the seat sits way over to one side and the frame is not symetrical.  If you would also like to turn right, you better look for a "straight" kart.  I can't think of what the major frame names are at the moment, but it may come to me.  Age of chassis isn't as big of a deal as condition.  I think they are chro-mo so keep an eye out for cracks, repaired welds, an heavy scratches on the bottom.  If too much has been worn off the bottom from dragging, the frame won't flex the way it was designed to.
Thanks, that sounds look good solid advice. I will be sure to do that. Should I run the 68lb 13hp engine over the 35lb 7hp engine?

I got an email from Stratos karts and they said I would, "need a dry clutch and chain drive. The best people to contact would be  http://www.targetdistributing.net/". I didn't see a point of contact that stood out for advice but I'm hoping I can keep this whole project under $500 but worse case under $800.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 06:56:35 PM »
This is where I get my parts.

WWW.APSORDERONLINE.COM

There pricess seem to be on par with most other places.

You might have trouble fitting that larger engine on a racing chassis.  It is quite a bit wider than the 5-6.5 hp engines.  If you went with the smaller engine you would have more clutch, mounting plate, general parts options.

The animal and formula classes are really growing and some of those parts can be adapted to the honda or honda clone engines.  If you stay with the 390 then there are parts available but you have to dig a little deeper.  I have a 13hp clone sitting here that I have kind of been shopping for...

Just make sure you buy racing quality parts like clutches, as those are rebuildable and tunable.  The max torque ones are pretty much junk.
This post has been edited due to content.

artie on edge

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 07:06:48 PM »
Hmm, you are an innocent bystander.  But somebody else, with 65k in good points, and a dancing bouncing avatar, has been participating in self gratification on the karma thing. 

Karmabation?

Karmabation?? Yumster, I think you have coined a 'new' word....!! I like it... "mate, your nothing more than an out n out karmabator" yup, works ....

SPEC

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 07:27:40 PM »
Karmabater...We'll have to add that to the Spec speak dicyionary ;D
you up already OLD COOT ARTIE

artie on edge

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 07:31:14 PM »
Karmabater...We'll have to add that to the Spec speak dicyionary ;D
you up already OLD COOT ARTIE

yup I is... and  bit fuzzy round the head.... Spec will know why..... 6 beers SHOULD have been enough.....

SPEC

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 07:52:02 PM »
I only counted 8...
But I'm on#5 ;D
and I got a new owwy :'(

gizmo

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 10:55:06 AM »
So will I be able to make this project a reality within the next month?

I was hoping to accomplish three things:

1) a reason for choosing the heavier (65lbs) but stronger (13hp) over the lighter and weaker (35lbs/7hp) engine.
2) a list of parts (and prices) needed to convert the power washer motor into a kart engine
3) a list of karts between $300-$500 that will support that engine, karts that will corner in excess of 1.5Gs.

I have begun to wonder if the conversion will ultimately cost less than a used turn key kart of similiar power.

Thoughts?

I worry that either kart engine, whose recommended operating range is 2KRPM-3.5KRPM, will be an unsufficient engine. I had hoped that the cost of parts needed to make the conversion would be far less than an entire engine itself. But even if that were true, will that minimal operating range properly propel the kart?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 10:56:42 AM by gizmo »

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2009, 12:23:33 PM »
i had a super lite homemade kart that i built when i was younger, with an 8hp kohler magnum, it would run 55mph at top speed.  my suggestions would be, find an older kart frame from ebay. get your axle, bearings, wheels, steering from bmikarts (online).  unless you find a whole kart thats cheap... definetly try to use an actual race clutch, or atleast a tor-a-verter... do not use a cheap centrifigul common go kart clutch....   from my experience, most of those honda engines come with a gear reduction box that has a clutch in them....

http://www.bmikarts.com/index.htm
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

gizmo

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2009, 03:06:12 PM »
That is encouraging. I'm not too mechanically savvy, and I'll be the first to admit that, but I believe I can follow instructions to the tee. That being said, what would a gear reduction box offer me? If the engine were to have a gear reduction box, do I replace that for a racing clutch or will the gear reduction box serve the same purpose equally well?

As far as axles go, will any old axle work or do I need a very specific type of axle for this engine? (I would imagine the axle partly depends on the kart itself and partly on the engine).

I think the rest of the stuff I know enough about to make decent choices.

Also, those blueprint like pictures you attached, what should I gain from them?

Again, I apologize for my lack of knowledge. I'm a CS major in college and I thought I could tackle this project without killing myself. If you all feel it's best to advise me against this project than I will respect that.

artie on edge

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2009, 03:57:11 PM »
I have no experience in this arena but my comments are more of a mechanical nature.

I doubt there are full step by step construction notes that you can follow 'to the letter' for this style of thing. Even commercial plans for the machines we mostly run are assuming a high level of mechanical engineering knowledge and ability.

If YOU have any doubts about your mechanical ability it might be best for you to make that call.

Personally, if you do have some cash floating around and you ARE serious about making something to play with. Then this is one of the very best ways of gaining mechanical engineering experience. Play, build, fiddle, get it wrong, work out why and remake it so that it works....

gizmo

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2009, 04:02:32 PM »
I'm certainly willing to take the plunge. And I know if I were to hit any hurdles then I can turn to many different sources for help. I basically made my last statement to "warn" others that I probably know very little compared to them and will be forced to ask many questions to completely understand what it is I need to do to make this thing work.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2009, 10:25:37 PM »
axle only depends on what you want. the standard racing axles are 40mm (which is a little over 1.5 inches) there are also alot of 1 1/4" axles.  personally i would search ebay fo all my stuff. axle, bearings, bearing hangers, sprockets, clutch or torq-a-veter**... wheels, tires, steering components.. hell, even a frame!!! lol if ya need help, just ask!! :)
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal