Author Topic: Honda GX390 Power Washer Engine  (Read 7575 times)

gizmo

Honda GX390 Power Washer Engine
« on: May 28, 2009, 09:50:27 PM »
I have a power washer that I never use. I want to build a kart, but a limited budget really puts a damper on things. I was considering buying a use kart chassis, transplanting the GX390 from the power washer to that chassis, after modifying the GX390 such that it will not properly propel the kart instead of water. Is this feasible? Would anyone know what sort of work, parts, and prices I'm talking here? I'm good with a wrench but I need to be told what to buy and how they go together.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
Re: Honda GX390 Power Washer Engine
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 10:01:37 PM »
Is the motor vertical shaft or horizontal?  I have seen pressure washers both ways.  A horizontal shaft would lend itself to a cart much easier.  Have to take the washer off and see what the shaft looks like.  I was in Tractor Supply the other day and noticed that they had centrifugal clutches like most carts use.  The question is what is the shaft configuration, and will a clutch slip right on.

gizmo

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 10:09:28 PM »
I can probably dig up a manual and disassemble it. How would I tell one type of shaft apart from another?

gizmo

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 10:12:43 PM »
One thing that just occured to me: I've had a power washer die on me simply because I moved it while it was operating (and I think oil went somewhere it shouldn't and either the presence of oil in this new location killed the motor or the absence of it from its intended location). I'm making that conjecture because I know a car that roadraces needs an oilpan with windage trays and baffling in all the right places to keep the engine properly lubricated when fprcefully cornering.

gizmo

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 10:14:15 PM »
Okay, I went to Honda's website and they clearly distinguish between the 390's shaft types by: GX (horizontal) and GXV (vertical) so it's definitely a horizontal shaft. Now what?

:)

Admin

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 07:33:35 AM »
easy way to distinguish is if the pull start is on the top, or on the side of the engine, Honda motors have a oil sensor, if the oil was low, you may have tilted it far enough away from the sensor and killed the engine. Next step is to determine what shaft specs are, 1" diam etc etc, that should also be listed on hondas site, then you can determine if you can get a clutch on there or not...

SPEC

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 09:58:23 AM »
whats it rated at for horse power?
You'll need to decide what terrain do you want to use it on?
Sorry if this post is late...I got a call from the land of OZ ;D

gizmo

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 10:00:23 AM »
I'd have to buy the service manual to get that information from honda itself (probably a smart move too).

However, I googled "gx390 shaft" and I found a kart gx390 clutch thread in another forum and that forum member claims:

"3 31/64 x 1 dia. tapped 3/8 24 UNF"

Is that promising?

-gizmo

P.S. do I go with the 13hp GX390 (68lbs) or the 7hp 190 (33lbs)? Will the extra weight noticably comprimise handling?

Spec: it's rated for 13hp and its recommended operating range is 2KRPM-3.6KRPM.

gizmo

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 10:01:46 AM »
Spec: I'd like to run this on a roadcourse or an oval. I don't know if I made it clear in this particular post but I plan to buy a chassis somewhat akin to a Tony kart, Arrow kart, Sodi kart, Slack kart, etc, etc, etc.

SPEC

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 10:04:21 AM »
Ya I just saw that on the welcome thread ;D
Been a busy on the phone morning...
I think we could get you set up...we have a couple of Kart members...
And I'm planning on re-introducing a left hander ;D
I got a couple of crash-test dummies lined up ::) :P

gizmo

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 10:15:19 AM »
Sounds good to me.

Maybe some of the guys around here would know a good reliable place to get a used chassis of that type.

My dad used to race stock cars (if that's what you meant by left hander) and it was kind of our little hobby together. He died a few months ago, left this gigantic hole in my life, and I've been trying to fill it with anything that reminds of him (eg. motorsports) but can only afford karting if i manage to build most of my own kart (I think...).

Thanks for the help. I look forward to seeing how things pan out.

SPEC

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 10:27:35 AM »
Ya we're pretty much a bunch of old coots that never grewup :o

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 12:49:28 PM »
If you intend to race it, you better check the rules.....I don't know of a class that allows that engine.  Where ya located?  I got a racing set up for sale, trailer, tools, extra engines and parts.  Ready to go racing.  It's set up for dirt oval, but I think it's a straight chasis, so it could be set up for road course.
This post has been edited due to content.

gizmo

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 01:32:30 PM »
I'm in NYC.

And I was hoping to spend about $500-$650 on a chassis. (I see many used karts going for about that price, I just don't know which ones to choose from).

I hadn't intended on running in a circuit because I couldn't afford a kart that would stand up against the $$ karts (SOME OF THESE KARTS ARE UPWARD OF 4K -- I'll just get a cheese late model at that point). I was just hoping to rent the local tracks out for $20 for an hour and maybe hone my HPDE skills.

P.S. I know someone in one of my two threads is responsible for my karma, and I just want that someone to know there's a six pack with their name on it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 01:35:55 PM by gizmo »

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 04:46:31 PM »

P.S. I know someone in one of my two threads is responsible for my karma, and I just want that someone to know there's a six pack with their name on it.

Hmm, you are an innocent bystander.  But somebody else, with 65k in good points, and a dancing bouncing avatar, has been participating in self gratification on the karma thing. 

Karmabation? 
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal