Author Topic: Stop laughing dammit!  (Read 5246 times)

Online fabr

• Administrator
Stop laughing dammit!
« on: June 30, 2009, 10:27:25 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
 Well,I've been pretty quiet the last week or so. Couple of things been occupying my time. One of them is getting the Fadal 4020 VMC running. Used machine. A few known issues and a couple of hidden ones. When done should be as good as new for less than 1/2 price. Anyway, I got it powered up and have been fooling around learning what little  I can about it. So far I've managed to figure out how to do very basic stuff like loading the toolholder, jogging axises,homing the machine ,start up procedures, REPLACING  X Y and Z BALLSCREWS ::) and the like. Sort of like learning how to use a computer-try something,ANYTHING, and see what happens.LOL!!!
  So ,for the laugh, how the hell do I command the doors to open and close?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline BDKW1

Re: Stop laughing dammit!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 11:12:33 AM »
It has auto doors? I didn't think they offer that option back then. We always taped over the micro switch's on the doors to bypass the safety lock outs.........

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 11:15:54 AM »
Oh, and replacing the ball screws, fun fun  ;D   At least it's got a cartridge spindle so when it comes time for that it wont be a giant pain........ Well, it's still going to be a pain in the wallet. If it's a really high time machine, getting the taper reground is nice.........

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 11:17:30 AM »
It's a 95 machine. When initially applying air to machine the doors close but at power up the doors open and stay open. I can manually open and close them when machine is under power but not when power is cut off. I know something is effed up in their operation . Shouldn't there be a door close/open command?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 11:20:55 AM »
Oh, and replacing the ball screws, fun fun  ;D   At least it's got a cartridge spindle so when it comes time for that it wont be a giant pain........ Well, it's still going to be a pain in the wallet. If it's a really high time machine, getting the taper reground is nice.........
Actually the ballscrews are not much of a problem especially the Z. Not as expensive as I feared either when using reground and ceramic balls. I had to buy a new extended Z tho and that cost more than the X &Y combined.  .So far the spindle seems OK. Need to actually check it out tho. Regardless I'll do whatever it needs.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

trojan

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 11:44:01 AM »
so OPEN SESAME didn't work?

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 12:34:06 PM »
Hasn't yet. Believe me I've tried that!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 01:33:31 PM »
Actually the ballscrews are not much of a problem especially the Z. Not as expensive as I feared either when using reground and ceramic balls. I had to buy a new extended Z tho and that cost more than the X &Y combined.  .So far the spindle seems OK. Need to actually check it out tho. Regardless I'll do whatever it needs.

Master
Using a good blue die cream smear it all over one of the better tools and plug it into the spindle.  Be sure to coat the complete taper.  Take it out and look at the pattern that it leaves.  if the pattern is the same all the way around the taper and there is no real big dead spots like there was no contack then it is good to go.  I have the name of a Kansas City company that will come out and grind the spindle right on the machine.  They set up a small grinder on the table and plug in a program into the machine that brings the Z down and interpolates the XY to grind the taper.  Cost was $1300.00 US when I had my VFO done in 2005.  Should have about 700 PSI pressure holding the tool in also.
If you don't then you will need a new CU washer pack. Not bad to install.  My machine tec calls them doors Man Traps.  Lose them. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 03:04:30 PM »
Yes,the prussian blue is coming out tonight. A man named Ken Houk with Open Source CNC from Wichita has been a big help so far. Have you heard of him? Seems pretty well versed in this stuff.I think he told me of the same person as you are about splindle taper grinding.
 Yeah,I agree on the man trap thing. I just want to know how they are SUPPOSED to work.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 03:35:11 PM »
My machine tec calls them doors Man Traps.

Hehe, I worked on some Mori's that would just about chop you in half if you weren't paying attention.

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 04:24:16 PM »
Do you have a list of the Fadal commands?

artie on edge

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 05:25:56 PM »
Now THIS is my sorta stuff.... good luck. Cant wait to see the stuff you got coming out of the beast.... LOVE machinery..... ;D

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 06:21:39 PM »
Yes,the prussian blue is coming out tonight. A man named Ken Houk with Open Source CNC from Wichita has been a big help so far. Have you heard of him? Seems pretty well versed in this stuff.I think he told me of the same person as you are about splindle taper grinding.
 Yeah,I agree on the man trap thing. I just want to know how they are SUPPOSED to work.

Not familiar with the name.   I use a fellow by the name of G L Warren.  Or who ever is the HAAS tech in the area that is free.  Most of the problem's I can take care of.  Until it comes to the controls.  Then i';m shit up a creek. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 07:36:23 PM »
Do you have a list of the Fadal commands?
Yes and I don't find any command for it..The book says that the spindle should not turn ifthe doors are open. It does tho.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 07:37:05 PM »
Now THIS is my sorta stuff.... good luck. Cant wait to see the stuff you got coming out of the beast.... LOVE machinery..... ;D
Yeah ,me too on both accounts.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal