Author Topic: Buying buggy plans need advice.  (Read 6889 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Buying buggy plans need advice.
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 09:06:43 AM »
I pay for it and depend on the very generous volunteer tech help that yummi and livewire provide. Without their help DTS would be doomed in a heartbeat. With the very valuable additional help of Spec and engineer we feel we have a very nice,small,personal help site. Many of the members are some of the most knowledgable,willing to help ,guys you will find anywhere. Just ask,we're here to help. We ALL thank you and every other member for visiting DTS!  That reminds me,we have a $20 a year VIP membership that helps with the cost of the site a bit , that gets you access to the no holds barred area also.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:09:13 AM by masterfabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

whayden2003

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 09:12:50 AM »
So will I still get help if I chose the Badland plans for my first mini being as I plan on making it mine by the time I am done plan bashing. Just kidding around. Think i am going to get those first then maybe the Rorty ones for the next one.

whayden2003

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 09:18:55 AM »
Where do I pay? Do I get a cool avatar pic!!!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 09:20:58 AM »
So will I still get help if I chose the Badland plans for my first mini being as I plan on making it mine by the time I am done plan bashing. Just kidding around. Think i am going to get those first then maybe the Rorty ones for the next one.
Everything is a matter of opinion and choice. No one is right and no one is wrong. It all depends what you want. Of course, there will be help along the way. We ALL have needed it and we are willing to return the favor.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 09:35:03 AM »
Click on your profile and then select paid subscriptions  to join the VIP . Thank you!!!! Your avatar is YOUR avatar. ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

chuckorlando

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 03:06:41 PM »
Yes they have plans for the a-arm jigs, material list, vendors, part numbers, the whole lot. They seem to me to be very well thought out plans. But most of what they've done in the past seem to be between a china buggy and a big boy machine. Where as Rorty has been making big boy machines for a while now.

The main concer for me, outside of the spool, is the suspension design. I can draw out a sweet looking set up that most guy's would look at and say, WOW. But then use it and find it's complete crap. I'm pretty sure I know Rorty suspension has had the bugs worked out, and fits my size needs. Woods buggy and mx. Stadium lite. Call it what you will. So I figure use the Rorty suspension, track, and all that. Then use things like the D pillers from the st4, more lean in the hood with shock towers verse the Rorty design of a table top front nd

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 06:29:13 PM »
I agree that rorty plans could use a "facelift" so far as style but his suspension and the really important things are well thought out.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline deranged

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 07:14:14 PM »
I just got done(it will never be done...ill explain in a sec.)with my r-16, and I have run it pretty hard in the dunes, and have had 0 problems!  Well, one small issue....a loose radiator hose :(.  On my build, I lowered the roofline, and gave it a little rake to the roofline as well.  Also by adding a wing, it really balanced out the look of the rear.  The plans are really nice.  There are plans for the suspension arm jigs, that really get everything pretty close.  The piggy weighed in @ 1,600 LBS with me and my wife, full of gas(my wife didn't have gas, it was for the buggy), coolant, and oil.  I also sprung for the RPM gearbox too.  With that being said, I am researching a 2.2 Ecotec/CVT swap.  I thought about a turbo for my CBR motor, but it still wouldn't make the torque I am lookin for.  Once you decide, get building, and start a build thread!!  Hope this helps, and welcome to the madness!  Everyone here has a cool sense of humor, and will help you where ever you need it!

Justin
I live nowhere near a desert....

whayden2003

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 07:46:27 PM »
deranged i also live nowhere near a desert. i will be using mine mainly on the road and blasts in the pasture dodging moon pies lol. just thinking about doing the badland one first cause i plan to chop it up alot thinking four seats...

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 09:08:29 PM »
imo, you don't want the badland prints! go with the rorty. suspension is everything especially when your riding through the woods!! bump steer and your in a tree. I don't personally like trailing arms and would never run them on one of my own but many do cause they are idiot proof to bolt on now dual a-arm rear end is a good one as well as a 5 or 6 link like I pre-fer but for heavy wooded area's, dual a-arm or trailing arm. don't run u-joints axles with a trailing arm you will regret it.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

beastybronco

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2011, 11:09:16 PM »
but how hard would it be to switch to smaller discs and hubs so you can run atv tires on it if you go with the rorty plans?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2011, 12:18:48 AM »
Not hard but would require some redesign of things like the front uprights to keep scrub radius acceptable. This can be done. Do you CAD?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

beastybronco

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2011, 10:56:33 AM »
no just my imagination lol

Offline CrazyFastFab

• Fabricator
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2012, 09:17:20 AM »
I know this is pretty much a dead post but I figured I would mention I have the Badland plans.  As far as plans go they are great plans.  They send you pdf's to print and detail things like how to setup the suspension and make axles.  They also send you the dxf's so you can modify and take to local water jet place the cut them.  My only complant is I felt they where a little to heavy on the use of water jet peaces.

I collect plans and well.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2012, 11:59:02 AM »
hell I got a set of prints from the edge years ago and never built it cause by the time I got done making changes it was easier to start over but they are a nice set of prints none the less just didn't fit anything i was going to do with it.  nothing in my rails is based off of those prints though.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal