Author Topic: Camber  (Read 7669 times)

Sandsational

Camber
« on: September 14, 2008, 10:13:48 AM »
What is the pros and cons of camber in the sand?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 10:19:05 AM by Sandsational »

borris

Re: Camber
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 12:31:28 PM »
OMG! that really opens a can of worms! Many people feel that camber adds to a cars ability to remain stable at higher speeds and aids in traction by keeping the tire at a more nearly90 degrees to the surface of the road when turning.There's a lot of opinions on both sides of this that's for sure.

Bugpac

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 06:34:11 PM »
In dirt its gonna give you a far better footprint to corner etc, so the tire isnt rolling up on its side, I would think the same would go for sand...

VLADD

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 09:48:02 PM »
I guess I'll muddy the waters quick here,
Posative camber leans the tire in on top...Negative camber leans the tire out on top, like the old narrow front tractors, All left hand race cars run more posative camber on the right front to compensate for track banking and tire sidewall flex iIt works the same In the sand and the dirt,I still build a dirt oval micro mini, I have negative camber on the left front and a bunch of posative camber on the right front, this gives the cars an advantage on 2 planes footprint, and more contact patch in the turns...
Now this may be off base for this thread but there are other factors in the steering geometry...RAKE,CASTOR,KPI,and ACKERMAN ANGLE

SPEC

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 07:39:25 AM »
I'm with Vladd on this one, there are ALOT of factors, that go into front end set up and whether or not the car will turn worth a crap or not, or how well it absorb impact (bumps,rocks,tree stumps,etc...)

lee1969GB

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 01:03:42 PM »
Posative camber leans the tire in on top...Negative camber leans the tire out on top,

Thats what I thought but some say its the other way around?????

fisherman

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 01:17:09 PM »
I would say in sand maybe 2 deg. of neg. camber at full comp. On dirt this all depends on the travel of the car and the stiffness of the tire wall.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 10:01:07 PM »
Posative camber leans the tire in on top...Negative camber leans the tire out on top, like the old narrow front tractors, All left hand race cars run more posative camber on the right front to compensate for track banking and tire sidewall flex iIt works the same In the sand and the dirt,I still build a dirt oval micro mini, I have negative camber on the left front and a bunch of posative camber on the right front, this gives the cars an advantage on 2 planes footprint, and more contact patch in the turns...
Now this may be off base for this thread but there are other factors in the steering geometry...RAKE,CASTOR,KPI,and ACKERMAN ANGLE

Yah gotter backwards. Positive camber leans OUTWARD at the top. Negative leans in at the top.   
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

VLADD

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 05:56:40 AM »
Nutz,
Your right , my bad  Can't remember what I was thinking...Too much info and too small of a head I guess

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 08:26:46 AM »
You don't need to feel a bit bad. The only reason I can even remember it is I have a sticky note on my puter and in my garage for referance at a glance. I have both +/-camber and +/-castor depicted on it.  Otherwise I am lost in da dark.  :P
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

borris

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 01:29:31 PM »
You don't need to feel a bit bad. The only reason I can even remember it is I have a sticky note on my puter and in my garage for referance at a glance. I have both +/-camber and +/-castor depicted on it.  Otherwise I am lost in da dark.  :P
I'm pretty sure we all have a hard time keeping it straight! All you really have to remember is -----in and back at the top. Opposite of that SUX! ;D

VLADD

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 05:48:59 AM »
What Borris said

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 09:26:12 PM »
I have a camber question.   I am going to use 21" travel to simplify the numbers.  At ride height, I am going to assume this is 7" down into the travel (1/3), I am planning for 0 deg camber.  Now I have heard the number 7 degrees total camber bantered about.  When I look at the suspension travel, If a hard turn is being made that causes the car to lean, I really doubt that this lean will ever result in full compression of the outside front/rear suspensions.  I am going to guess that the camber is going to be needed somewhere between ride height and 2/3 suspension compression (14 inches).

I am trying to maximize the camber movement in this range (ride height to 2/3 compression) with out having the camber get stupid at full compression, or full droop.  The best way to do this is with unequal length, non-parallel A-arms.  However it starts getting ugly, and bumpsteer gets hard to control.

The truth is on a 4-6" travel suspension, I believe that camber curves can be quite affective.  However in the 20" travel range I don't know how much useable camber gain you can expect. 

Also on most of the long travel cars I see, I don't see many non-parallel arms, even though most are unequal length, giving some camber rise.

If anyone has any insight, it would be appreciated.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 09:31:40 PM »
LT buggies that have well setup suspensions will often see full or very near full compression.Not in turns but in whoops and jumps or just plain old severe transitions.Soooo, the need is for the camber gain to be over the entire travel.Not optimum for corners but with LT you can't have it all. Yes the geometry gets very ugly at times.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 09:33:55 PM by Masterfabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Admin

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 09:36:08 PM »
Get it right and get 0 at ride height and camber gain in droop and bump travel....It is possible, Don't doubt me!! ;D 5 degrees is plenty IMO...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal