Author Topic: Looking for Transmission Gurus! Manual and Auto Front engine rear drive!  (Read 10451 times)

Offline Boostinjdm

Re: Looking for Transmission Gurus! Manual and Auto Front engine rear drive!
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2010, 11:57:51 PM »
Still curious what the goal is here and why a front wheel drive car engine and trans is still being passed up.  Same horsepower as other options mentioned, clutch and gears all in one small package. And cheap.
From what I read, PG's are about 125 lbs.  Not sure about other makes, but I can lift, maybe even curl, my honda tranny with one arm.  I'm 'bout 5'6" and 145 lbs now (runnin low on food money and workin my ass off all day).  So either I'm superman or it ain't that heavy.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2010, 12:10:41 AM »
I have a honda tranny here to and yup I can curl it. Its why in an earlier post I put I may consider the motor up front and a LONG chain back to the Honda tranny. No over heating of the chain that long. But the long chain WILL need a great guard around it and as Fabr mentioned a way to control the chain from getting to off track/wild.

Not really looking for the clutch part so much.

I have also considerd the Honda type front drive tranny turned sideways but its total drive reduction along with rear IRS pig WOULD likely be to great. Even in high gear you still have the ring and pinion reduction in the Honda Car tranny.   

In a nutshell I am trying to imitate a Dwarf car driveline. But instead of a bike motor feeding right into a rear straight axle like they usually do I want reverse. (and IRS. But the driveshaft does not care what it hooks to!)

Instead of the crazy price for an inline reverser gearbox I am looking for a small weight penalty for a LARGE dollar savings. A lil drag I will have to deal with. The added ranges of the other gears would not be bad either.

But no one makes a two speed reversing light weight (and strong) manual tranny I know of... 

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2010, 03:07:20 AM »
I have also considerd the Honda type front drive tranny turned sideways but its total drive reduction along with rear IRS pig WOULD likely be to great. Even in high gear you still have the ring and pinion reduction in the Honda Car tranny.   

I see what you are sayin, but remember the honda trans is geared for smaller tires.  If you go with a lower ratio in the rear end and taller tires, where does that put you?  Without runnin the #'s, I'd say it prolly gives you plenty of lower end grunt and a reasonable top end.  I know my car will do 125+ (indicated) with rpms to spare on 13" tires.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2010, 05:55:54 AM »
I have a honda tranny here to and yup I can curl it. Its why in an earlier post I put I may consider the motor up front and a LONG chain back to the Honda tranny. No over heating of the chain that long. But the long chain WILL need a great guard around it and as Fabr mentioned a way to control the chain from getting to off track/wild.

Not really looking for the clutch part so much.

In a nutshell I am trying to imitate a Dwarf car driveline. But instead of a bike motor feeding right into a rear straight axle like they usually do I want reverse. (and IRS. But the driveshaft does not care what it hooks to!)

Instead of the crazy price for an inline reverser gearbox I am looking for a small weight penalty for a LARGE dollar savings. A lil drag I will have to deal with. The added ranges of the other gears would not be bad either.

But no one makes a two speed reversing light weight (and strong) manual tranny I know of... 

If you'll think about it a PG CAN be run without any hydraulics. I KNOW I designed one.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2010, 05:56:24 AM »
IMO  tho,you don't want to do it.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2010, 08:39:01 AM »
I have never had a lot of automatic tranny trouble (excpet with Dodges. Those trannies are made from frozen butter)

I have never been inside one really other than messing with ones at the scrap yard tore apart. Only had one rebuilt in my life and it might not have needed it.

I do totally understand the concept of the torque convertor and how it transmits power via fluid against its internal vanes and I do understand how the trannies valve body controls the brake bands on the planetary gearsets to do what it does.

I am not sure what you mean on how to make one work without Hydraulics as I thought they were hydraulic in nature.

I also stated above how the torque convertor can be used as a cush drive but I have also seen Automatics setup with a mannual clutch setup in front of them with a special device/adaptor to drive the pump.

That has also crossed my mind as it would elimate the weight of the torque convertor and it has pros and cons as most things do.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2010, 11:32:36 AM »
The hydraulics only control the planetaries. That can be done mechanically accomplishing  what you were suggesting. Goin g to lunch now and will try to let you in on more later.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

chrishallett83

« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2010, 04:06:10 PM »
The Silva is known as 240SX here in the States, I think.  How about front engine rear tranny, cant remember which vehicle it was from.  Have to do some search.

Different drivetrain mate. Horrible 2.4 litre N/A motor that doesn't rev for shit, and barely makes enough power to spin the a/c compressor. Boostin's idea with the Honda donk is also a good 'un, but I'd go with something a touch meatier than the B16 for a sand car. The B16 does make good torque for its capacity, but it's pretty high up the rev range.

Now, lotsa people are getting the block out of a Honda CRV softroader (2.4 litre) and putting the head out of an S2000 on it. Torque out your arse, and plenty of horsepower too. We're starting to get into an expensive area here though...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal