Author Topic: Looking for Transmission Gurus! Manual and Auto Front engine rear drive!  (Read 10494 times)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: Looking for Transmission Gurus! Manual and Auto Front engine rear drive!
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2010, 01:00:16 AM »
Not to say I would not use a car engine if I found a killer deal on a stellar engine setup. But it would have to be a deal upon a deal of all time for a remarkable engine setup that lent itself sooooooooooo well.

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

chrishallett83

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2010, 01:13:34 AM »
Something like the drivetrain out of a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Silvia#S14 might do the trick.

The five-speed gearboxes are pretty tough, the R200 LSD IRS diffs are real tough, and the all-alloy motors can be tuned from the stock 200 or so horsepower up to 320-350 and still retain close-as-damnit to stock driveability. Motor's all alloy and VVT, and there are almost infinite options for upgrading and customisation.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2010, 01:26:49 AM »
First thing that popped into my mind was a honda engine and tranny with a spool spinning the driveshaft rather than an axle. 

B16 with trans weighs about 300 lbs.   160hp 111 ft lbs totally stock.
Busa about 175-200 lbs plus 125lb tranny = about 300 lbs.  170ish hp and <100 ft lbs totally stock.

This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2010, 01:47:27 AM »
I cannot say I have even seen a Nissian Sylvia but will have to  pay more attention.

One thing I am aiming for is something thats popular and plentiful so if you do need spare its not to hard to locate.

I would also like it to not be too over in demand.

As for the Honda motor setups there are a couple Honda powered machines hear at Silver lake and they are impressive.

But they do have a tough time trying to hang with the big bike motored machines as they do not have the RPM range or "envelope" the bike motors do that gives the bike motored units such an advantage. 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2010, 02:08:12 AM »

But they do have a tough time trying to hang with the big bike motored machines as they do not have the RPM range or "envelope" the bike motors do that gives the bike motored units such an advantage.

That advantage may or may not go away when you go to a front engine setup and feed the power through a tranny in addition to the bike tranny.  I think as far as packaging goes, the honda would have the advantage compared to a bike engine coupled to an automotive tranny.  Don't forget the reduction of the rear end when you figure it up. Bike tranny + automotive tranny + rear end = stump puller with limited top end. I suppose all the extra reduction goes away when in top gear+ overdrive, but how many shifts does it take to get there?  Honda trans + rear end = enough torque to run some massive tires and still have a respectable top end.
Just my thoughts without crunching the numbers.  Honda b series engines are quite common and there are many specific models.  Some of which, people are just trying to get rid of so they can swap a hotter one into their car.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2010, 06:00:23 AM »
I cannot say I have even seen a Nissian Sylvia but will have to  pay more attention.

One thing I am aiming for is something thats popular and plentiful so if you do need spare its not to hard to locate.

I would also like it to not be too over in demand.

As for the Honda motor setups there are a couple Honda powered machines hear at Silver lake and they are impressive.

I don 't really agree . Bike motors AFTER the primary internal reduction will have approx an 8000rpm countershaft rpm which is in line with most small hi revving auto engines. Very similar rpm input to the tranny as an automotive engine. Countershaft rpm is all that can be used in calcs. Engine rpm is irrelevant.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2010, 06:21:00 AM »
The Silva is known as 240SX here in the States, I think.  How about front engine rear tranny, cant remember which vehicle it was from.  Have to do some search. 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2010, 08:11:53 AM »
Imma not quote all three as it would make this post to long so I will try to be a tad brief.

Agreed that with the car tranny and the bike tranny and the rear end gears you could make it geared way to deep. But as you said boost in high gear in the tranny (usually a one to one straight thru) it would not be an issue if all else was right I believe. But one or two gear drops might give you an edge on a hill climb if you needed a tad more power. (Close ratio sport car tranny)

As for Fabr not agreeing with the power range that does strike me as a tad funny coming from a guy who knows and adores the mighty Hayabusa. A motor thats known to tractor lug down low if needed and will still rev to the moon! Plus these bike motors can run at higher RPMS than most car motors can for a longer time. I would NOT say a revver like a 600 has a greater rpm range. But the larger motors do seem to enjoy one. 

I will admit I am not up on the most current "Fast and Furious" car engines or what RPM they can hold together at for any length of time. But I doubt its for any length of time that a bike motor can. Stock anyways.

As for the front engine rear tranny I am aware of a couple. The Porsche 944 had a front engine rear tranny setup as did the Chrysler Prowler and the later (newest) Corvettes. I am sure there are others.

I occasionaly see a 944 tranny and for not to bad of a price (if it was any good) But never really saw a Prowler tranny for sale and the Vette suff will drop in price over time but not a lot.

But I would not rule out a "transaxle" if I found one that was "right"

For that matter I have thought of a buggy with the motor slightly offset and a chain from the front to the rear and just using a front wheel drive Honda tranny (Like Arrowhead did over on MBN). With the chain from the front to the back it would stay cool and it WOULD NEED a VERY strudy chain guard to protect you if it ever broke. But you would eliminate the 90 degree pig which IS a power eater.   

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2010, 09:40:37 AM »
Imma not quote all three as it would make this post to long so I will try to be a tad brief.

Agreed that with the car tranny and the bike tranny and the rear end gears you could make it geared way to deep. But as you said boost in high gear in the tranny (usually a one to one straight thru) it would not be an issue if all else was right I believe. But one or two gear drops might give you an edge on a hill climb if you needed a tad more power. (Close ratio sport car tranny)

As for Fabr not agreeing with the power range that does strike me as a tad funny coming from a guy who knows and adores the mighty Hayabusa. A motor thats known to tractor lug down low if needed and will still rev to the moon! Plus these bike motors can run at higher RPMS than most car motors can for a longer time. I would NOT say a revver like a 600 has a greater rpm range. But the larger motors do seem to enjoy one. 

I will admit I am not up on the most current "Fast and Furious" car engines or what RPM they can hold together at for any length of time. But I doubt its for any length of time that a bike motor can. Stock anyways.

As for the front engine rear tranny I am aware of a couple. The Porsche 944 had a front engine rear tranny setup as did the Chrysler Prowler and the later (newest) Corvettes. I am sure there are others.

I occasionaly see a 944 tranny and for not to bad of a price (if it was any good) But never really saw a Prowler tranny for sale and the Vette suff will drop in price over time but not a lot.

But I would not rule out a "transaxle" if I found one that was "right"

For that matter I have thought of a buggy with the motor slightly offset and a chain from the front to the rear and just using a front wheel drive Honda tranny (Like Arrowhead did over on MBN). With the chain from the front to the back it would stay cool and it WOULD NEED a VERY strudy chain guard to protect you if it ever broke. But you would eliminate the 90 degree pig which IS a power eater.   
I also know their limitations is all
It's damn sure stay cool. Might have to figure out how to control the chain "whip" on one that long running at high speeds but you'd figure that out easy enough.
Just slightly higher ,at the countershaft, rpms.
100% agree. But a well built v-8 will run at same as bike countershaft rpms all day long also. Think NASCAR.Yes pricey but OH! SO MUCH RELIABLE POWER. Guess what my next buggy is gonna be.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2010, 09:42:02 AM »
WTF? my colors are all effed up. Well ,figure out what comment goes where. LOL!!!! I ain't doing it over. LOL!!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2010, 12:44:26 PM »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2010, 12:54:05 PM »
Pics! Pics! Pics!!!!!!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2010, 01:10:30 PM »
Nissan Skyline GT-R.  Front engine, aluminum. Rear tran.  AWD would be unique on a buggy  3.2-3.8 sec 0-60 depends on dyno sheet.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2010, 01:13:20 PM »
WOW,KILLER car,but how wide is the rear tranny in the diff area?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2010, 01:29:59 PM »
I say 12-14"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal