Author Topic: New Forum upgrades  (Read 6431 times)

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
New Forum upgrades
« on: October 17, 2017, 12:44:53 PM »
Glad to see upgrades, but the topic in "forum info" can't be replied to by us common folks. 

I find DTS prob the easiest to use site I'm on.  Maybe cause its old and I'm getting there too.  Easy to load pics, search works good for old threads, new post;replies.  I use it on a desktop w/Microsoft edge and on iPhone.  I will throw out my vote to upgrade, but not if we gonna loose all the old photos.  Some awesome builds here, w tons of detailed photos with write-ups. That's my biggest grip w other sites, pics gone.  Of course the whole photobucket thing has killed lots photos all over.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Online fabr

• Administrator
Re: New Forum upgrades
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 01:40:11 PM »
You have a good point and why I've never considered upgrading but those that know more than me keep telling me we need to do so. I .honestly,have no clue.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 01:45:46 PM »
Too funny - I never noticed that areas - "Permissions."  My bad.  So, we can discuss here.

There are some challenges moving forward. So much of it was custom via a couple of members long ago. BTW, Photobucket jacked a lot of us. 
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 02:37:06 PM »
I hated when the changed computers from winblows XP at work.  While new is fasters it just makes me have to learn new stuff.  Plus lost some good things too.  Wheres my rotary phone....LOL 
New explorer Edge, wont let me use the smiley's on DTS.  Still trying to fig that out.  Guess I'll ask my kiddo, well she ant no kid anymore damn I'm getting old.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 03:31:52 PM »
The ease of use is more about the platform than anything else.  Some boards are very slick now. 

So you all understand, the way these things are "built." 

Generally they use an open source template.  That gets modified by various people and then they issue new updates and or releases just like any software.  As a general rule, they all run off of an established platform / database.  Think of it like a truck frame and engine, the main program is the body.  But wait, you wanted red and a wing on that body?  OK, we can do that. 

Now, to that base of established frame and motor, with body,  various packages are installed.  Want an option? Red and wing? Find it, install it.  Cool.  Trouble is updates / repairs / etc are not supported by some of these folks.  They may come in and out.  Each forum, to some extent each site, is really nothing more than the same basic frame, motor and body with various tweaks.  My guess is 70% of what you see out there is wordpress as a content management system. 

The trouble comes when you start dealing with a motor or frame that is getting older and may get updated or break.  The body wont fit right.  The color  tweaks?  Oh no.  The wing?  Forget about it.  Any change to one, on an incremental basis, affects them all. When we go ten years without an incremental change?  Not good.   Just like building a buggy. We will be getting to custom vs OEM.

So in that respect you cant avoid an update.  The second problem is none of this occurs in a static environment.  So, along comes Facebook, Pintrest, Google, and changes to the rules of the WWW.  So much of what can be done, we don't do.  You get the idea. 

We will have to do it.  When, and how bad it hurts is the only question.  I will keep digging for an acceptable answer.  If you see something missing in the meantime, let me know. 

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 08:10:29 AM »
well i am an old fart i guess and don't like change unless it is a much needed change  like no hillary or obama lol  i will have to save all my gallery pics if i can find them and back them up. i do need to take a day and copy all my photobucket pics and video`s and cancel that acct. yummi any suggestions on another sitr like photobucket?? i get what your saying and have seen more frequent glitch`s so i agree. one thing i still find amazing is the number of people i have come across that have heard of mbn but not dts so everychance i get i post direct links so people find us. i agree with carl that this site is and has been the easiest to search info so need to be sure that remains the same!   there is one offraod site that was new that fabbr posted a link to whil back ....i signed up....read a couple times and forgot lol canat even remember the name of the damn place. shame as it had some useful info.  the functions of this site have always been imo, very user friendly compared to 95t of what i have seen so ....i'm sure you'll keep that in mind as it looks like your the architect on this job!
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline DeepBusch69

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 11:42:13 AM »
I like the KISS principle.  If things have to be updated, then I understand, but this is the easiest site to use and loads the fastest on my slow computer.  So let's not get too fancy.......

thanks
the peanut gallery

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 05:01:23 PM »
I agree. I trust yummi to do just that.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 05:48:13 AM »
Looks like pics are missing?  Not showing up in thread, and when ya click the linky it gives a 404 error not found.  Well crap.  Yummy can fix it, hes da bomb.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 02:21:36 PM »
Looks like pics are missing?  Not showing up in thread, and when ya click the linky it gives a 404 error not found.  Well crap.  Yummy can fix it, hes da bomb.

Sorry, work got in the way.  Working on it today.  Might take a bit.  Hold on.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 05:19:18 PM »
We have time. No hurry at all.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Most of the upgrades are done
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 09:37:30 AM »
Well, most of the upgrade is done. 

The only thing I am having a challenge with is the "gallery" Most is old stuff.  Lance and Baloo have a fair amount there.  I need to figure the work around.

Oh yea, also avatars.  Check your profile - upload a new one I guess?  Long story. May have to change the look a bit if this post box does not change size. 

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 09:58:13 AM by Yummi »

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Re: Most of the upgrades are done
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 06:12:30 PM »
Alright, ditched the dark.  Between my bad eyes and Fabr's glaucoma, :-% it looked good, but was hard to read.  Need some input on colors, etc.  We have a lot of flexibility, but trying to do this with very limited graphics and mostly code so it is faster.   Our current board has a fair number of very small graphics.   

We will change over in the next day or so.  That will transfer domains so the dtsfab.com is the right one.  But, if you are curious, go to www.dtsfab2.com  sign in and get some feed back on colors, etc.

Also, check your avatar - on the profile section there is a drop down called "avs" that has them, just don't know whose is whose.

Again, for a couple of days, both are up, so careful what you post.  I likely wont capture it all beyond today. 

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 09:05:45 PM »
Cool!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 09:03:03 AM »
I'm kinda missing the "Recent topics" button.  Is it hiding somewhere I haven't found?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal