Author Topic: I need a new rear sprocket  (Read 15946 times)

Offline Lance-W

Re: I need a new rear sprocket
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2014, 05:27:45 PM »
I just looked on Ebay and you can buy a whole set of transmission gears for about $300-$400.  I feel responsible, I told you it was 100% turnkey.  I'll buy the parts and you do the work?

I believe it's a 2005 but I will verify.  I think all first gens are the same but who knows.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 05:38:10 PM by Lance-W »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2014, 06:05:50 PM »
and while you have it apart

" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2014, 07:12:04 PM »
Busa trans are already undercut. So long as the trans is good there is zero need to recut the gears.  Save your money unless you just want to spend the bucks.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
If you just want to recut the gears I have a trans from a gen 1 that needs 2nd recut. No need to buy a good one and have it cut. It jumps out of 2nd gear,I think that is what is likely wrong with your car but 1st gear. A couple missed shifts or a bit of grinding finding first will destroy the dog edges. Then you have what you have,I think .
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 07:19:51 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline sandracer1

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2014, 07:35:17 PM »
I am Busa stupid but my buddy was going to buy a busa buggy but was informed busas were known for a weak first gear and most tried to eliminate 1st gear through  sprocket gearing. He opted out the rail. Maybe it was 2nd that was weak and if you eliminate 1st you eliminate the shift up to 2nd and breaking it.. guess it would be possible to bang 1st bad on downshift and do the same thing?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2014, 07:43:43 PM »
The trouble with the busa trans is that when going to second you have to get past nuetral. Busas are notorious for not liking the fast 1-2 shift. Many times not quite getting all the way into second,it doesn't engage and the dogs get a rounded leading edge. A few times of that and the undercut is gone. After that it won't stay in second under power. It just jumps in and out repeatedly. If first gear is repeatedly ground when engaging the same thing happens to first gear dogs. This may be his issue.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2014, 07:46:49 PM »
I NOW never,ever speed shift 1-2. I don't like fixing the trans. It is NOT a hard job BTW. Pretty easy as a matter of fact.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2014, 09:35:50 PM »
Busa trans are already undercut. So long as the trans is good there is zero need to recut the gears.  Save your money unless you just want to spend the bucks.

i didn't/ don't know for sure but i thought they didn't start the back cut gears and under cut gears stock until 08 or gen II? which is why i thought all the talk about back cutting and under cutting the gears in gen 1. gen 1 of course being the 1300 vs the larger newer one. i do know the stock clutch baskets aren't strong enough for turbo's for someone really hammering down on them.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2014, 09:41:28 PM »
I just looked on Ebay and you can buy a whole set of transmission gears for about $300-$400.  I feel responsible, I told you it was 100% turnkey.  I'll buy the parts and you do the work?

I believe it's a 2005 but I will verify.  I think all first gens are the same but who knows.

this is a might nice offer!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2014, 09:44:28 PM »
I am Busa stupid but my buddy was going to buy a busa buggy but was informed busas were known for a weak first gear and most tried to eliminate 1st gear through  sprocket gearing. He opted out the rail. Maybe it was 2nd that was weak and if you eliminate 1st you eliminate the shift up to 2nd and breaking it.. guess it would be possible to bang 1st bad on downshift and do the same thing?

my rail's final drive reduction is 5.38 to 1    13/70 sprockets.  i am out of 1st pretty fast and have had it slip into N when shifting 1st to 2nd, horrible feeling lol and i know i will be into my trans gears at some point especially since my engine had 35k miles on it when it was removed from the bike lol

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2014, 09:50:22 PM »
i didn't/ don't know for sure but i thought they didn't start the back cut gears and under cut gears stock until 08 or gen II? which is why i thought all the talk about back cutting and under cutting the gears in gen 1. gen 1 of course being the 1300 vs the larger newer one. i do know the stock clutch baskets aren't strong enough for turbo's for someone really hammering down on them.
SFAIK allbut the very first are undercut. The clutch basket is suspect. Depends on driver IMO.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Wildcatfan

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2014, 10:24:11 PM »

You are a stand up guy Lance! Wish more people were like you. I feel bad about it myself, thats alot of money to shell out. Would a machined raced cut be better? I mean the old set fabr has then have them undercut somewhere possibly even cheaper and maybe even better than stock as far as durability? I heard him say its a waste of money idk

Wildcatfan

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2014, 10:29:54 PM »
Or if its better and even a little more I could pay the difference.  I dont really know how long theses transmissions last, but I plan on keeping that buggy for yrs to come. I dont wanna deal with it again, rather do it right the first time? Idk jus throwing out some idea's.  You guys would know better than me.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2014, 05:54:51 AM »
Personally,if the trans is bad,I would just find a good used set of gears(not mine) and run them as is. IMO,there is no need to undercut a good trans for our purposes. IF you were racing it and needed the fastest shifting,least likely to miss a gear  then yes but for our purpose/use I'd save the money. Reason is that if you miss a few times it will be junk also. I'm going on   this trans 4 years now ,shift it a LOT but no speed shifting 1-2.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2014, 05:58:13 AM »
Hell,if you want a fresh undercut trans then just have yours cut.No need to find a different set. You MAY need to replace your 2nd first gear if it is too badly rounded off.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 06:55:02 AM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal