Author Topic: Would this idea work??  (Read 3652 times)

405dentech

Would this idea work??
« on: November 06, 2008, 06:03:50 PM »
I am planning on running an idler sprocket for the chain tensioner. My question is does it need to be manually adjustable, mounted solid, or can I set it up were it pivots front to back and the tension be applied with a strong spring? Kind of like self adjusting.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Would this idea work??
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 06:10:03 PM »
No on the spring.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Rick S.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 06:44:05 PM »
I would slot my motor mounts or adjust the axle, before using an idler to tension the chain.
It takes a huge amount of movement to tension a chain with an idler.
This is just my opinion though.

phelpsracing1

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 08:20:31 PM »
Yea like Rick said, try to move the axle or motor mounts first to adjust the chain tension.  I used 1/4" plate with slots to move the rear axle and bearring carrier back and forth to take out the slack. I had everything welded up before I knew that the original rear sprocket (44tooth) was way too small.  The one I use now is a 60tooth but it was almost twice as big and wouldn't fit inside the frame or between the original mounts, so I had to implement an idler sprocket to re-route the chain from hitting a tube cross brace. Or cut up the rear frame and re-weld all new pieces and I was tired of cutting and welding stuff back in, HA, HA!!

405dentech

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 08:36:25 PM »
Yeah i here ya on the cutting apart and re-welding. It's getting old. Thats why I haven't even gone out and checked the bumpsteer and updated this post on it yet.  :P

Rick S.

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 09:15:35 PM »
I'll be using an idler to clear the case on my current build too.
My 954 had the eccentric axle and I also slotted the motor mounts for additional adjustment. Here is how I adjusted the motor forward and back using a jack screw arrangement.
The crossmember had clearance tubes welded through. Loosen motor mounts and the jam nuts against the rod ends, then turn the bolts from the rear, moving the motor forward or back. Worked great. I had to slot my exhaust mounts as well.

405dentech

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »
That looks like a good idea. I definately don't want to cut the carrier loose. I have room for a setup like that. But if might be easier to design an adjustable idler setup. All my motor mounts are already welded up.

SPEC

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 04:27:42 AM »
Dent,
It might be worth it in the long run for you to slot it now :-[
Chain tensioners tend to toss the bearings in them at the worst possible time, The damage to the motor/trans can get spendy...Plus that famous walk back to the truck...I slot the motor mount,the jackshaft mount,and the carriers on the swing arm...But I use swing arm rears

455bird

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 06:25:39 AM »
I have slots cut on carrier mount plate in the frame and my carrier sit in a cradle, so to a chain adjustment I pull the carrier back my idler is welded in the frame

405dentech

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 04:40:29 AM »
Anyone want to buy this piece of crap so I can just start over? I will never buy a half (finished) buggy again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will either build it from ground up or buy a finished one from one of you guys that know how to build them. 1: 1: 1: 1: 1: 1: 1: 1: 1:

405dentech

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 04:41:34 AM »
Beginning to think I got fxxked on this (good) deal.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 05:48:44 AM »
Beginning to think I got fxxked on this (good) deal.

Keep the faith - The smile on your face once it is the way you want it and ripping down the trail will make the current pain go away.
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 10:40:29 AM »
Dont feel bad. I had to completely redo the suspension on the roller that I paid someone to build. It was weak and all the geometry was wrong. I got tons on bump steer and folded up the arms. Its only metal and you can always reweld anything you need to.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 10:58:30 AM »
i totally hear ya on giving up...  i have cut and welded, cut and rewelded. over and over again. total redesign about twice on the rear end. made arms, threw arms away, made more, added more to the pile. finally i have it where i think it will work. and i dread the thought it may not work and haveing to cut shit off and redo it.. so sick of that. just do like me, and spend countless hours on a stool staring at the damned buggy lol.   
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 11:00:19 AM »
We've all been there!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal