Author Topic: busa intercooler..  (Read 3328 times)

Offline Yoshi

busa intercooler..
« on: July 16, 2009, 04:11:30 PM »
running a Mitsubishi Super 16G turbo, 14 to 20 pounds of boost making 400hp at the crank, and basically unlimited space for an intercooler, what's the biggest intercooler I can run before it starts becoming too big?...

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: busa intercooler..
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 06:47:52 PM »
Trick question?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

chrishallett83

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 07:18:13 PM »
running a Mitsubishi Super 16G turbo, 14 to 20 pounds of boost making 400hp at the crank, and basically unlimited space for an intercooler, what's the biggest intercooler I can run before it starts becoming too big?...

Want a serious answer to a silly question?

Depending on what kind of lag you are willing to put up with, there is no maximum. Beyond a certain point there will be no additional advantage, because it's impossible to cool the intake charge lower than ambient with straight air/air intercooling.

Really, what you want is a water/air cooler, like the awesome barrel coolers PWR make. Much more efficient, for less flow restriction and pressure drop across the cooler.

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 07:20:40 PM »
Got a hold of someone at PWR, they said I should go with a 6x18x3"core, and with end caps would put it at 24" long, so that's what i'll go with me thinks.  Didn't ask about thewater/air, surely that would be rather expensive?  the one they make is about $450 for straight air...........

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 07:23:08 PM »
looks like it would be $1,142 for the one I need in liquid/air....The ice one at the bottom of the page is kinda cool too....

http://www.pwr-performance.com/intercooler.htm
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 07:26:30 PM by Yoshi »

chrishallett83

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 07:29:28 PM »
Yeah, dry-ice coolers are great at the drag strip.

trojan

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 12:56:27 AM »
and dyno queens ::)

Howdy Christopher!

If you're using a Mitsubishi turbo, go for a reasonably priced aftermarket intercooler for that turbo.
Further on what Chris said, the available air flow is the real decider.
A small one in good clean air flow will serve better than a huge one that is mostly obscured.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 06:40:04 AM »
Gotta agree with putting it in clean air. IMO a W/A is great but for our purposes a bit much-maybe. Best bang for the buck is A/A and place it well. AS to what is too big,I agree depends on how much lag you are willing to live with but IMO the only way to answer the question is to measure the pressure drop across the intercooler. You want minimal drop . At that point you should have minimal lag also. I'd also suggest keeping tubing runs as short as possible to minimize lag also.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 07:49:02 AM »
The one that PWR suggested is good for 330 to 400hp, so it's not too big and not too small.  I'm mounting it in the section above the radiator, in  a spot that gets the most airflow.  I will prob. mount it more straight than what's photoshopped in the pic, or i'll i'll have a shroud made to direct more air into it  from the bottom.  I'm working out the measurements now.  The opening is 15" by 32", so I had plenty of space to do whatever I wanted really.

Jet

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 01:15:31 AM »
Why do you guys mount radiators and intercoolers on such angles? There has to be some massive advantage to counter the cooling capacity your losing?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 06:23:15 AM »
Good question. Only answer I see is that we tend to value form over function too often.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 07:38:58 AM »
Good question. Only answer I see is that we tend to value form over function too often.

Although I agree form over function is the driving force for most, in my case, I wanted everything important to be inside the chassis in case of a roll so it won't be damaged, like radiator, fuel cells and the battery. 

I use to run the radiator straight up behind the occupants heads so it was protected and got the best airflow, but even though I feel the setup was completly safe, and a lot of racers have them like that, people kept giving me slack over how dangerous it is in case a hose comes loose, so I mounted it farther back to get rid of some of the concerns, and to keep it in the chassis, it had to be mounted at an angle.

But if you'll notice, I went from a 14" wide radiator to a 24" wide radiator to get more airflow/coolant volume to make up for the angle......

« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 07:42:56 AM by Yoshi »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 07:44:56 AM »
Most if not all angle mounting problems can be addressed with ducting. IMO ,I have to congratulate you for relocating the radiator.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 07:47:48 AM »
One thing you can't really see in the pics, is there is a motor cover panel that runs from behind the seats to the wing, and then a flat panel in front of the wing, so it acts as a huge air dam to ram air up through the radiator...

chrishallett83

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 07:31:19 PM »
Yoshi I don't really like sand-rails much at all, but I like yours.
Why do you guys mount radiators and intercoolers on such angles? There has to be some massive advantage to counter the cooling capacity your losing?

With air ducting set up correctly, there is only minimal effect on total efficiency. A lot of performance Mazda RX7s use two coolers at an angle mounted on top of the other to form a scoop like > rather than one in front of the other like || for the radiator and air/air intercooler core.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal