Author Topic: 930 CV  (Read 4978 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: 930 CV
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 07:43:57 PM »
REason I asked is because there are a lot of witches brew favorite concoctions used.I bought a 5 gal bucket of the moly cv grease a couple years ago. Lots of people use Cat Gold and I think Swepco also are a couple of favorites.Many swear by them.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

artie on edge

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 07:49:11 PM »
yeah like you I got  a heap of grease at one time, still got some left I think.

As a group we fielded 5 buggies and several other classes out of our home town and we often did our testing and maintenance together (huge parties).

Cvs were done after every event and again before every event if testing was carried out. So thats an awful lot of cvs to clean and check and reassemble lubing (by hand) as you go.

More n once I was standing at the bench with 12 cvs stacked up beside me to assemble and lube (oh your hands are dirty anyway, no point in us all getting messy.... bastards). Got fed a lot of free beer like that...

artie on edge

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 07:51:03 PM »
I mean seriously, if the grease you use doesnt show wear on the components after a reasonable period of hard use, why would you want a witches brew?

The engineers who make this stuff know a little bit about what they are doing... at least so I think...

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 08:04:50 PM »
This is the needle I use.  It's a lincoln.  I don't use it on CV's, but I have used it on bearings and flush zerks without a problem.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 08:10:46 PM »
That's what I have always thought.Really I think that there's just so many sissies out there that either don't maintain them or are just afraid to get dirty that cv's have gotten a bad rap in recent years. Actually I don't see why everyone thinks it's so messy to do.Hell a pair of nitrile gloves and a bucket of solvent cleans them and all it takes is a minute to hand pack. I don't see the big issue. Yes I am a believer in moly grease.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 08:11:57 PM »
This is the needle I use.  It's a lincoln.  I don't use it on CV's, but I have used it on bearings and flush zerks without a problem.
same for me
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

artie on edge

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 08:25:31 PM »
and I know that cars today are getting the maximum wheel travel as opposed to my days in the game and 'perhaps' we didnt fully utilise our cvs like they do today but as I have said apart from that one issue we never suffered a failure. (thats 5 cars over 5 annual events each being 450ks minimum, lost of cvs turing lots of times)

Hell we stopped the cars from bottoming out (10 inches of travel front and back from memory) by using harder suspension. Now a beam car with hard suspension aint a lot of fun over 8 hours... but being the heroes we were, we managed. (the older I get the better I was...)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 08:29:29 PM »
Hehehe
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2009, 07:04:03 AM »
Just good old wheel bearing grease. I had one that only made 3 pumps. Boostins looks a lot nicer than the cheapo I found at the parts store. Looks like more shopping for me.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

artie on edge

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2009, 07:12:19 AM »
wheel bearing grease will do fine until you start to load the joint. High horspower or/and extreme travel will do this. Im afraid that I have to advocate the use of a specific purpose made cv grease and most of these are a moly derivitive (or at least used to be).

Be careful though as som emoly will allow the balls to skid (slide rather than roll, believe it or not TOO slippery) and this WILL wear flat spots and then failure. Hence the cv specific rease.

BUT, if your happy with wheel bearing grease, go get em. After all, they are YOUR cvs..

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2009, 07:17:02 AM »
Thanks for the info. That was what the local store had. You go to the counter and get a deer in the headlight look around here if they can't just look it up in their computer.  :)
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2009, 08:08:37 AM »
I use Swpco - not because I have a personal preferecne, but becuase Bill at AZ Transaxle does   -   Sometimes I just go with what folks tell me to use - and it works.

Swepco Moly-Lube For Porsche    
Swepco Moly-Lube For Porsche
Swepco has further improved this excellent grease by adding Lubiuma tough film on all metal parts to protects them from extreme heat and pressure. 14 oz.
Add to Shopping List
        $13.99
automotion.com

http://www.automotion.com/product.asp?pf_id=P883101&dept_id=4235&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Car+Care+-+Grease+%26+Lubricants-_-P883101-_-X
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2009, 09:40:28 AM »
I use cat desert gold. I have a friend who works for cat and I get it for $6 a tube. Never had an issue with it.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Bug

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2009, 10:23:09 AM »
Didn't know of who in here has seen these but it takes the work ( fun ) out of lubing your CV's .  A new gadget. For the price I would spend 5 bucks on a box of gloves but other are livin larger.

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/AC000201.html

Bug

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2009, 10:23:44 AM »
Type 2 is on the site also.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal