Author Topic: Basic Dwg. of chaincase idea......Whataya think?  (Read 11676 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Basic Dwg. of chaincase idea......Whataya think?
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2009, 06:27:42 PM »
Martin sprockets for one
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
  • Monster Bug is here run for your LIFE!!!
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2009, 09:50:21 PM »
Where is the best place to but chains and sprockets anyway, I was going to get the ones from Doug, but since you will not see them, no sense spending the extra $$ Just cheap old steel ones should do just fine and I think a 5:1 ratio sounds good eh Bug? I want it to top out around 100 or so flat out on the limiter and get going FAST, I am running the 30" Padla traks I think they are 30 anyway...
"The best things in life are free".........RIIIGHT, He's never been to Glamis!

Bajas RULE!!

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2009, 09:53:18 PM »
How many RPM does that ECO turn?  Definately apples and oranges to Bug's Rotax.  Of course your tires are taller.  I would crunch the numbers to make sure of the reduction.

Admin

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2009, 09:57:57 PM »
6500 on the eco right? I need more ratio, id like 7.5:1, eco has more torque, i would think 5:1 be good...

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2009, 10:09:52 PM »
Ok 100 MPH with a 30" tire is 1121 RPM at the axle.  So if you have a 5:1 with the chainbox you  are at 5605 at the secondary of the clutch.  If the clutch tops out at 1:1 you are very close.  Take a 5.8 : 1 to get to 6500 RPM at 100 MPH and 1:1 on the clutch.  So anywhere between 5 and 6 to 1 would be a good starting point.

And definately don't use O-ring chain in an oil bath.

Admin

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2009, 10:10:50 PM »
Id shoot for 6:1 then...

Rick S.

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2009, 10:17:40 PM »
I can make the large sprockets with any tooth count you want.  Your design or mine.
Identical pairs too.

Offline Whiplash

• VIP
  • Monster Bug is here run for your LIFE!!!
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2009, 07:17:21 AM »
What would they run for two sets 6:1 and can you get the chains as well? I need em cheap as that is the rule for this project! Thanks!
"The best things in life are free".........RIIIGHT, He's never been to Glamis!

Bajas RULE!!

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2009, 07:42:32 AM »
Although I was thinking the same thing about not using o-ring chains in a oil bath, I started wondering if it's actually correct?  O ring does just fine in the air, when people use a thick wax/grease that penetrates, even though it is always wanting to fly off. Ooil is thinner and should have no problem working it's way into the pins, especially since the o-rings are not tight and the chain is always moving side to side.  I'm wondering if it would be ok to use o-rings in there, it would definitely make it quieter.

I would think you would need to soak the chain is something to remove all the grease first though, otherwise it may prevent the oil from doing it's job..

Just a thought.....

Admin

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2009, 07:53:51 AM »
What would they run for two sets 6:1 and can you get the chains as well? I need em cheap as that is the rule for this project! Thanks!

well the problem lies in size, at 6:1 you need if you had a 10 front , yes i know is to small.... 10:60, the chain case is gonna be monsterous... Now back to silent chain, probbaly reduce the size by 1/2...

Bennyhanna

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2009, 09:23:52 AM »
I'm making the same thing with double 50 sprokets, 13/40.  Getting the rest of the reduction outside of the box as I'm using an sv1000 engine.  If you go thru martin you must buy 10 feet of chain at about $15.00 a foot.  Try mcmaster carr as you can buy it by the foot.  I got about 7 feet left if someone wants to buy some.  I'll try to post a pic of my progress over the weekend.

Rick S.

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2009, 09:46:14 AM »
I would need to know how many teeth you need on the sprocket, and what pitch. 6:1 doesn't tell me anything.
I would also need your desired hole pattern and bore.
How wide is each sprocket? If it's 1/4 I could probably do the pair for 75. I'm only guessing, since I have no idea what diameter you're talking about. Maybe it's mentioned somewhere else in this thread, but I've been too busy to read everything.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2009, 09:58:49 AM »
I'm making the same thing with double 50 sprokets, 13/40.  Getting the rest of the reduction outside of the box as I'm using an sv1000 engine.  If you go thru martin you must buy 10 feet of chain at about $15.00 a foot.  Try mcmaster carr as you can buy it by the foot.  I got about 7 feet left if someone wants to buy some.  I'll try to post a pic of my progress over the weekend.

DO NOT USE THAT CHAIN!!  IT WILL FAIL.  Motorcycle chain is much stronger than industrial chain.  Someone had a story on the Mcmaster chain....  It's tensil strength is much less.  I don't know about the tensil on the Martin chain, but I would look into the strength numbers, not the price for chain for this application.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2009, 10:44:36 AM »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2009, 10:46:34 AM »

DO NOT USE THAT CHAIN!!  IT WILL FAIL.  Motorcycle chain is much stronger than industrial chain.  Someone had a story on the Mcmaster chain....  It's tensil strength is much less.  I don't know about the tensil on the Martin chain, but I would look into the strength numbers, not the price for chain for this application.
;) ;)
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal