Author Topic: Brake line clamps  (Read 2605 times)

Offline Lance-W

Brake line clamps
« on: June 20, 2009, 06:41:21 PM »
I'm looking for suggestions on what to use for brake line clamps.  I know the really nice ones are the machined aluminum ones.  I don't want to spend the money for the aluminum ones.  What else have you guys used successfully?  Pictures would be great ;D 

Also what do you guys use for budget brake line.  I know there is the option of braided stainless but that gets pricey fast.  I also guess I could run regular old steel lines.  I guess I'm looking for something in the middle.  I'm open for all ideas...........

Thanks, Lance

Jet

Re: Brake line clamps
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 08:29:49 PM »
Cable Tie with either a small piece of fuel line or a 1/4" washer in between the tube and the brake line, so you run the cable tie around the tube then into the fuel line or washer, then around the brake line.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 10:10:26 PM »
There are weld on clips made for brake lines that use a zip tie to hold them on. cheap and clean. Just a tip use a small piece of tube like 1/2 inch and zip tie on all your clips to it then weld. This keeps them perfectly straight, helps get them perfectly laid out,  and holds them while you tack them up.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 11:17:02 PM »
how many clamps you need and for what diameter tube? I have a handfull in stock and will cut you a deal. I also have a good connection on stainless braided brake line reasonably priced. Ill be happy to share with you but need to dig up the info.

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 04:02:06 PM »
There are weld on clips made for brake lines that use a zip tie to hold them on. cheap and clean. Just a tip use a small piece of tube like 1/2 inch and zip tie on all your clips to it then weld. This keeps them perfectly straight, helps get them perfectly laid out,  and holds them while you tack them up.

Can you take a closer up picture of the clamps so I can see what they look like? Also did you buy them or make them?

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 09:30:32 PM »
Can you take a closer up picture of the clamps so I can see what they look like? Also did you buy them or make them?

They look exactly like these but smaller

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/AC513099.html

I buy them from a local buggy shop at $1 each. If you have no luck finding them I can buy you some and mail them out to you. Let me know

artie on edge

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 11:27:09 PM »
I use these, the black ones are auto items (8mm) and are about a buck each. The white ones seem a bit light but are still very strong but I dont think they would like to much sunlight for too long. These are about 20 cents ea. This has never been a problem as out cars were stripped every season and they where replaced. Held in place by rivets.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 06:33:08 AM »
I try not to drill holes in the car especially in the suspension to mount stuff. JMO

artie on edge

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 06:41:17 AM »
I try not to drill holes in the car especially in the suspension to mount stuff. JMO

Absolutely, tabs are used to mount the clamps at various points if no other existing bracket can be used (seat rail etc), lines are cable tied to the suspension arms on small squareish loops of 2mm rod silversoldered to the tube. Some use half a washer. These are always mounted on the trailing edge of the upper arm tube, as in Punkur's pic.

Brake lines, Simplest to use the braided line right through. Really, it isnt that expensive (at least here) and these arent large cars. One of our guys went to the trouble of running steel right though and braided right ast the ends. Quite a job to bend at all the right places while ensuring that it can be installed/removed. Im not sure it was worth it. He claims it gave him a slightly better pedal feel I claim that bouncing around so hard you wouldnt notice the difference. Each to their own.. ;D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 04:34:06 PM by Artie on edge »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal